Author Topic: An Introduction to Elven Spell Lore  (Read 6751 times)

Petruchio

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
An Introduction to Elven Spell Lore
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:38:09 PM »
Introduction to Elven Spell Lore

By Orantos Shingal, Elven Archmage

Be not afraid mortals! I, Orantos Shingal, Master of the Arcane Arts, puts forth this thesis as a precursor to a larger handbook on Uttercold Assault Necromancy, and arcane Necromancy in general. A normally displeasing art, the Uttercold Assault Necromancer normally requires specialize feat investment, namely Energy Substitution: Cold and Lord of the Uttercold. Until now.

From PHBII pg 78 with erranta

Elven Spell Lore
Prerequisite: Int 17, Knowledge (arcana) 12 ranks
Benefit: Your understanding of the elven secrets of magic grants you two BENEFITS:. When you cast dispel magic or greater dispel magic, you gain a +2 bonus on your caster level check. Your understanding of magic allows you to more easily unravel the power that sustains a foe's spell. In addition, your knowledge of magic grants you rare insights into forgotten spell lore. Choose a single spell in your spellbook when you take this feat. When preparing that spell, you can alter the energy type of the damage it deals to some other energy type of your choosing. You must make this choice when preparing the spell (those who do not prepare spells cannot benefit from this aspect of the feat). You can prepare the spell multiple times, selecting the same or a different energy type for it with each preparation. You can gain this feat multiple times. The caster level bonus does not stack, and each time you take the feat, a different spell must be chosen.
you make a spell deal the energy type that you want.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
Re: An Introduction to Elven Spell Lore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:00:21 PM »

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 08:33:49 PM »
Also, positive energy don't heal anyone. It damages unliving things as much as it damages living things.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:31:08 PM »
Also, positive energy don't heal anyone. It damages unliving things as much as it damages living things.

Really? That's odd. Why does Negative Energy heal undead if positive energy doesn't heal the living? I thought all those fancy healing spells used positive energy?

Ras F

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »
This does not work. Energy damage is a defined term.

This is correct.

Really? That's odd. Why does Negative Energy heal undead if positive energy doesn't heal the living? I thought all those fancy healing spells used positive energy?

That is a trait of the undead type.
The effects that heal using positive energy specifically make mention of being a healing effect. Unrefined positive energy can be pretty destructive.
"This power is dangerous to mortal forms, which are not made to handle it."
"(They) immolate as if (they) were a small planet caught at the edge of a supernova."
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:06:16 PM by Ras F »
Life gives you lemons? Then you better fucking learn Citromancy.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:33:05 PM »
Are those last two lines a quote from something?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 12:22:07 AM »

Well, it's still better than Energy Substitution if you have only 1 blasting spell, because it can do sonic damage.

Are those last two lines a quote from something?

The description of the Positive Energy Plane. However, even in the roiling raw ether of the Positive Energy Plane, you are stated to heal. You don't explode until you have 2x your max HP in temporary hp.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »
I recall there being a pair of monsters, one positive and one negative, that could fire rays of their associated energy type.  The positive one could choose whether to damage or heal living targets, and the negative one could do the same against undead.  I just can't remember their name or what book they're in.  They're roughly sphere-like, incorporeal, and not the energons from the Manual of the Planes.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 02:17:22 AM »
Also I think there was an errata or FAQ or something specifically about ESL
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
I recall there being a pair of monsters, one positive and one negative, that could fire rays of their associated energy type.  The positive one could choose whether to damage or heal living targets, and the negative one could do the same against undead.  I just can't remember their name or what book they're in.  They're roughly sphere-like, incorporeal, and not the energons from the Manual of the Planes.
I think the orignials were the.... xag-ya and xeg-yi so yeah you really are describing energons there.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »
I recall there being a pair of monsters, one positive and one negative, that could fire rays of their associated energy type.  The positive one could choose whether to damage or heal living targets, and the negative one could do the same against undead.  I just can't remember their name or what book they're in.  They're roughly sphere-like, incorporeal, and not the energons from the Manual of the Planes.
Templates from the Planar Handbook now grant this ability.  Entropic lets you shoot a ray of negative energy that deals 1d4+CHA damage to living, or the same amount of healing to undead.  Vivacious makes you incorporeal, and gives you a positive energy ray that deals 1d4+CHA damage to undead or heals living creatures.  Both templates also give you an aura that either heals or damages creatures at the rate of 1 point per round.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Petruchio

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
Templates from the Planar Handbook now grant this ability.  Entropic lets you shoot a ray of negative energy that deals 1d4+CHA damage to living, or the same amount of healing to undead.  Vivacious makes you incorporeal, and gives you a positive energy ray that deals 1d4+CHA damage to undead or heals living creatures.  Both templates also give you an aura that either heals or damages creatures at the rate of 1 point per round.
Really? What would the LA on that?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »
Entropic is +2, Vivacious is +5.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »
Fools. Everyone in the party takes Tomb Tainted Soul, and for LA+2, I have Fast Healing for us all!
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 12:30:49 AM »

This is another example of them not even bothering to look for abuse. It's trivially easy to make negative energy heal >.<

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 01:48:47 AM »

This is another example of them not even bothering to look for abuse. It's trivially easy to make negative energy heal >.<
If you're willing to drop two points of LA and four feats, you deserve free party healing.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »
Well Vivacious template can be applied to summoned creatures as I recall.  So free healing / positive energy can be had for the entire party fairly early on, if you're willing to waste the summoning spell slots.