Author Topic: Survivalist  (Read 7365 times)

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Survivalist
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 05:42:07 PM »
Bear Grills *or however its spelled* was actually a Straight ranger.  He wasnt a Barbarian, he had no mystical powers AT ALL!, So if you want to stick close to him as possible, he is a Ranger, Grab the I think PHB2 variantion that trades spells for feats, and your set.  Bear was more along the lines of an Archer Ranger with no spell casting as you can get.  He had no animal companion but he did have a working knowledge of nature.......

Anytime you convert a character from pop culture you have to make a dynamic shift in how they would function within the world of that game. Bear Grylls was a British special forces officer with specialization in survival adaptation. While your argument is certainly a valid one it ultimately doesn't allow us to transfer him into the the magical & dangerous realm of dungeons & dragons.

I have a pretty solid belief that any special forces operative (black ops, green berets, ect.) are probably pretty high level and they'll also probably highly trained in magic as a way to enhance their physical prowess. So while you are correct that a non-spellcasting Ranger might fit within the realistic mold of Bear Grylls, give us a reason why in D&D he would not have taken SotAO or other arcane lessons. I mean if other special forces operatives are going to be (there is no reason for them to not, ever...) than why wouldn't Bear Grylls?   

AngellusMortus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »
Building Bear Grylls as a D&D character? Better drink your own piss.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »

Poison Healer!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »
Better than someone else's piss.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Petruchio

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 01:00:15 AM »
I have a pretty solid belief that any special forces operative (black ops, green berets, ect.) are probably pretty high level and they'll also probably highly trained in magic as a way to enhance their physical prowess.

I'll have to disagree with that. I recall someone once posted a working character sheet of Einstein. Between the various feats and bonuses that he could get, he makes a DC 40 Knowledge (physics) check by taking 20 at Level 5. As a DC 40 is border nigh-impossible, it could be inferred that no real person could be higher than Level 5. Even special ops.

Einstein
+4 Int
+8 Ranks
+2 Masterwork Item (laboratory)
+4 Aid Another (two lab assistants)
+3 Skill Focus
+21 Knowledge (physics) Bonus

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
I have a pretty solid belief that any special forces operative (black ops, green berets, ect.) are probably pretty high level and they'll also probably highly trained in magic as a way to enhance their physical prowess.

I'll have to disagree with that. I recall someone once posted a working character sheet of Einstein. Between the various feats and bonuses that he could get, he makes a DC 40 Knowledge (physics) check by taking 20 at Level 5. As a DC 40 is border nigh-impossible, it could be inferred that no real person could be higher than Level 5. Even special ops.

Einstein
+4 Int
+8 Ranks
+3 Skill Focus
I think D_S's point was that black ops tend to be the best of the best at what they do, and in D&D, in order to be the best of damned near anything you NEED magic, because magic is the best.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 09:58:49 PM »

Einstein
+4 Int
+8 Ranks
+3 Skill Focus

This is a flawed connection so let us address the underlying point attempting to be made in your comparison. So, your thesis if we will, is that Einstein could be built under level five and still achieve his amazing breakthroughs within physics and because of this a special operations operative could not be higher than level five as well. If so let us perhaps attempt to analyze what each bring to the table. Einstein was a genius and powerhouse in the field of mathematics, physics and such. So off the bat he's a pretty easy guy to understand in D&D, you just need a dude who's good at hitting a very specialized knowledge check. On the other side of the fence we have a special forces operative who's duties include being able to realistically survive anywhere, kill anyone and never be seen. I mean I could go on for a while on how elite these guys have to be but perhaps we should just look at what is required of the green berets to even start training.

First of all you need to score a General Technical score of 107 or higher and a combat operation score of 98 on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. This roughly means you have to be as well as or better than 107% of the nationally representative sample at technical aspects and be as well or better than 98% of the nationally representative sample at killing. So not only do you have to be very good at murdering human beings but you also have be very smart in a wide range of fields (mathematics, science and technology to name a few). So we can make the statement that these special forces operatives are pretty top-notch in attributes & skills.

But we are still brought back to your claim that because Einstein could make a really hard knowledge check, no one (not even special forces operative who collectively do more than Einstein ever would in D&D) could ever get higher than him level wise. And I can, with much difficulty, see where you might be coming from but you seem to be placing a limit on humankind through the barrier of intellectual achievements while diminishing any achievements that would actually level you up in any conventional game of D&D. 

Perhaps we should look at your Einstein example and see if we can't polish it up. After all if Einstein is the glass ceiling for any human in D&D, we might as well see if we can't really optimize him.

Albert Einstein: Old Human Male Human Paragon 1; CR 1; Medium Humanoid (human); HD 1d8-1; hp 7; Init -2; Spd 30 ft.; AC 8, touch 8, flat-footed 8; Base Atk +0; Grp -2; Atk -2 melee (1d6-2/x2; club); SA; SQ Adaptive Learning (Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering); AL NG; SV Fort -1, Ref -2, Will +3; Str 6, Dex 6, Con 8, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 12.
Skills and Feats: Diplomacy +5 (4 ranks +1 cha), Craft (Writing) +9 (4 ranks +5 int), Disable Device +9 (4 ranks +5 int), Knowledge (Arcana) +6 (2 ranks +5 int -2 specialized +1 absent minded), Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering) +24 (4 ranks +5 int +1 specialized +1 absent minded +3 skill focus +4 call to mind +2 masterwork tool +4 aid another), Knowledge (Geography) +6 (2 ranks +5 int -2 specialized +1 absent minded), Knowledge (History) +6 (2 ranks +5 int -2 specialized +1 absent minded), Knowledge (Religion) +6 (2 ranks +5 int -2 specialized +1 absent minded), Perform (Oratory) +5 (4 ranks +1 cha), Profession (Professor) +5 (4 ranks +1 wis), Use Magical Device +5 (4 ranks +1 cha), Use Psionic Device +5 (4 ranks +1 cha); Skill Focus (Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering) and Hidden Talent (Call to Mind)
Traits: Absent Minded & Specialized (Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering)
Sources

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
You can't take 20 on Knowledge checks, I believe.

Handy Links

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 11:12:57 PM »
You can't take 20 on Knowledge checks, I believe.

I was honestly working off his assumption but even with that, if you can find six more points of bonuses you'll be hitting the mark.

EDIT: Einstein does all his research in a luxury library with a master book lot on Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering). Its from Stronghold Builder's Guide and will cost you 45,000 gp all together but there it is. Taking 10, Einstein will be hitting 40.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:18:34 PM by dark_samuari »

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
DruidX, planar shepherdX

The ultimate survivor! It matches with flavor, and I'm pretty sure any ex-SAS is going to be Tier 1 or even gestalt...
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 12:07:07 AM »
There's  a feat in Heroes of Battle that lets you keep up cheaply on Move Silently and Hide if you take some class where those skills aren't available.  So if Bear needs a few levels of Warblade, you can still keep even on your key skills.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 10:37:08 AM »
If you wanted to stat BlackOps people for D&D, start with your character sheet.

Yeah, guess what I mean there :p
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »
Bear Grills *or however its spelled* was actually a Straight ranger.  He wasnt a Barbarian, he had no mystical powers AT ALL!, So if you want to stick close to him as possible, he is a Ranger, Grab the I think PHB2 variantion that trades spells for feats, and your set.  Bear was more along the lines of an Archer Ranger with no spell casting as you can get.  He had no animal companion but he did have a working knowledge of nature.......

As for those who think he was a Barbarian? What the heck are you thinking?, have you even SEEN! his show? and you think hes a barbarian? I dont remember him killing his crew when he came across a situation that made him VERY! mad!.

It would certainly make the show better.

:lmao

For some reason, the gawds of 3e have not discovered Einstein's Relativity stuff.
Technically, the Omniscificer should be able to figure out how to get all the way
from Point A to Point ZZZ ; including making materials that officially do not exist in 3e.

Gamma World otoh ...

radionausea

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
Of course.. I'm partial to this:

Anthropomorphic Bear Werebear Bear Totem Barbarian/ Bear Warrior/ Druid (taking a Bear companion)/ Bearlord, taking the Wild Cohort feat to get a bear companion. You're a werebear bear who owns a bear, rides a bear, commands bears, worships bears, and can get so angry he turns into a bear.

Add in max ranks in Perform: Dad at a BBQ and you're set.
Stronghearted halflings do not exist.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »
I'm using JaronK's Grace Under Fire build at about level 6 for special ops troopers.

But for a more serious comparison, the DnD version of nasty-as-hell black ops fellows is probably marginally optimized high level wizards.  They're really good at everything, hard to kill, and they'll kill you in your sleep.

They don't really preserve the flavour of sneaky killey bastards though, since they're doing it from another country and quite casually.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
They don't really preserve the flavour of sneaky killey bastards though, since they're doing it from another country and quite casually.
I dunno. That's pretty damned sneaky.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
I'm using JaronK's Grace Under Fire build at about level 6 for special ops troopers.

But for a more serious comparison, the DnD version of nasty-as-hell black ops fellows is probably marginally optimized high level wizards.  They're really good at everything, hard to kill, and they'll kill you in your sleep.

So, Predator Drones?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »
Actually, the only real comparison for wizards I can find is nuclear missile equipped countries.

Or possibly orbital lasers.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 08:49:11 PM »

I really think a Mystic Ranger 6 with SotAO is probably cemented for me as the go to build for any special forces operative. Great at combat, versatility in needed skills and utility within spells to compensate for anything that can't be stabbed in the dark with your trusty knife.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 06:04:04 PM »
Elan ... gets food out of the way, for rather low cost.
Decanter of Endless Water ... or an even cheaper item , fixes that problem.
Bag of Holding ... carries all the gear and gadgets, like masterwork items.

I wonder what else would cover all this
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/carryingMovementExploration.htm
and this
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/wildernessWeatherEnvironment.htm

???