Author Topic: Survivalist  (Read 7340 times)

SpaceLlama

• Monkey bussiness
Survivalist
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »
In the newest campaign I'm playing in, I had a character concept that I thought would be fun to roleplay. He's a Mul Survivalist. Sort of like a Bear Gryls/Survivor man sort of character. Always knows what to do, all about getting through extreme situations. I love his name and background, and I think he'll be fun to play. The problem I'm coming across is, frequently I'll come up with a character idea that's fun to roleplay, but when it comes to mechanics and combat, sucks.

For instance:

The best classes for this survivalist seem to be like ranger or scout.

But as a Mul, my bonuses are to Con and Str.

My character uses simple weapons that can be made easily in nature (spears, bows), but I'm scared those will leave me without a good damage option.

I was hoping I could get some starter advice on what might be some good classes or feats that could take advantage of stats, but still create the character I want to roleplay. We have a lot of extra feats in this game, if that helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Survivalist
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »
Barbarian, with a ton of ranks in Survival.

Also, leadership for a crew of cohorts that will document your endeavors.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »
horizon walker

Petruchio

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:17:05 PM »
Factotum, ranger, scout or a rogue or barbarian w/ survival ranks. All of them give options for decent damage with improvised weapons from nature. The craft skill also assists with this, crafting a simple wooden spear should be simple enough, and be an effective carrier of sneak attack or skirmish damage. Crafting snare and traps would also be  consistent with the character concept as well.

SpaceLlama

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 06:21:51 PM »
My brother thought that crafting snares and traps might be good for the character too. I'll have to check into that and see what sort of things can be done with traps and snares in and out of combat.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 06:31:17 PM »
Couldn't you build a hood with loads of survival ranks? He can easily make a longspear the deadliest weapon on the planet.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:40:13 PM »
Totemist/warblade, totemist/factotum, or totemist/wilderness rogue?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
Just be BEAR Gryls

Wildshape Ranger

Throw in some poison crafting if you'd like

better drink my own piss

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »
Well, um, I would say Bear Grylls's main skills happen to be with the fact that he is a British Commando.

Not just the survivalist thing.  The infiltrator/elite military unit thing... How would you guys stat out a stealth based / deep behind enemy lines / special ops sort of character?

Just a thought.

Also, isn't there a barbarian build that happens to use the Survival skill for like, EVERYTHING?
BG's other resident furry!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »
Swift Hunter.  Ranger gets Survival, Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Nature), and can even get Knowledge (The Planes) if he takes a Planar Ranger sub-level.  I recommend 8th level for that.  While we're at it, pick up Knowledge Devotion for Knowledge (Arcana) and take the mage hunter ACF from CM.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
wizard?/COD?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 09:45:37 PM »
Well, um, I would say Bear Grylls's main skills happen to be with the fact that he is a British Commando.

Not just the survivalist thing.  The infiltrator/elite military unit thing... How would you guys stat out a stealth based / deep behind enemy lines / special ops sort of character?

Just a thought.

I tend to go with a Mystic Ranger 6 with Sword of the Arcane Order (focusing on very utility-orientated spells).

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 11:58:21 PM »

Also, isn't there a barbarian build that happens to use the Survival skill for like, EVERYTHING?

There's a barbarian ACF called trapkiller that lets you use your survival check (at a -5 penalty) to find traps and you can smash the trap to bits.

Alternatively I'd go with steadfast determination and completely max out your con score.

Dawnmor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 10:58:10 PM »
Bear Grills *or however its spelled* was actually a Straight ranger.  He wasnt a Barbarian, he had no mystical powers AT ALL!, So if you want to stick close to him as possible, he is a Ranger, Grab the I think PHB2 variantion that trades spells for feats, and your set.  Bear was more along the lines of an Archer Ranger with no spell casting as you can get.  He had no animal companion but he did have a working knowledge of nature.......

As for those who think he was a Barbarian? What the heck are you thinking?, have you even SEEN! his show? and you think hes a barbarian? I dont remember him killing his crew when he came across a situation that made him VERY! mad!.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 11:07:11 PM »
What an entertaining post.

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »
Bear Grills *or however its spelled* was actually a Straight ranger.  He wasnt a Barbarian, he had no mystical powers AT ALL!, So if you want to stick close to him as possible, he is a Ranger, Grab the I think PHB2 variantion that trades spells for feats, and your set.  Bear was more along the lines of an Archer Ranger with no spell casting as you can get.  He had no animal companion but he did have a working knowledge of nature.......

As for those who think he was a Barbarian? What the heck are you thinking?, have you even SEEN! his show? and you think hes a barbarian? I dont remember him killing his crew when he came across a situation that made him VERY! mad!.

It would certainly make the show better.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »
he had no mystical powers AT ALL!
Neither does a barbarian.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
Actually, the ranger's the one with magic spells, which would actually support the Barbarian hypothesis.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:48 PM »
He is actually most likely an expert with maxed out survival, climb and similar skills.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 11:58:23 PM »
Really he is a level 3 commoner. All noobs are commoners and level 6 is when skills break the realistic realm.

But last time I checked, our trees didn't eat people and wolves in arctic regions didn't have super freezing breath. Better make him a ranger. There are ACF that let you ditch spellcasting, though why not keep it? It's not like Bear can track a toad over rock, from two days ago, and it rained last night, but you'll be able to anyway. Toss some woodsy spells in, it'll be ok.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]