Author Topic: Natural Poison attacks, how to get them?  (Read 5411 times)

BrainCandy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Natural Poison attacks, how to get them?
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
I am going to be starting a new 3.5 game in about a month or so and I am kicking around a few ideas for a character. I am looking for ways to abuse Venomfire so I am trying to find every way to get a poison attack, preferably a bite attack for Spit Poison/Deadly Spittle abuse as well.

So, anything will help. Templates, spells, feats.

DeSt

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Natural Poison attacks, how to get them?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »
Easiest and popular choice is Fleshraker dinosaur(MM III). 4 natural attacks, 3 of which are poisonous and pounce which makes ordinary pounce cower in fear.

So be a druid, wildshape into Fleshraker and share Venomfire with your fleshraker companion.

BrainCandy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »
Yeah, the fleshraker is key for any druid, even without venomfire abuse. I am looking for something a little bit less obvious though. I am mostly looking for ways to get a poison bite other than polymorph type effects. Primarily ways to get a venomous bite in my natural form to get access to the Spit Poison feat chain. I'd also like to fine some way to add poison to my bite attacks, so I can turn into a hydra and make multiple Venomfire bites a round.

Like I said, I have a number of ideas kicking around but I need more ways to get poison bites and attacks.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:12:39 PM by BrainCandy »

DeSt

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:22:05 PM »
Gaining poison won't do you any good - Venomfire got some interesting wording. However if it's ok with your DM...

2 levels of totemist could give you poisonous bit attack.
Read this - http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0
Collar of Venom might be just the thing you're looking for.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »
or you could be a natural were-fleshraker, which is awesome for gestalt ^_^
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »
Check the Yuan-Ti grafts in fiend Folio.  One of them gives a poisonous bite attack.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 07:11:35 PM »
be a thri-kreen. 2 monstrous hit dice, plus 2 la for a total ecl of 4.

also, anthropomorphic snake should give you a poisonous bite for lower la.

or you could be an awakened snake, take the cost of paying an npc to cast the awaken spell out of your starting wealth (assuming you are starting higher than 1), and be sure to pay the extra for the metamagic maximized and empowered version of awaken. ;D
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 02:18:50 AM »
The Animal Devotion feat also gives anyone a poisonous bite attack for 1 min/day, though it would probably take a generous DM to allow it to work with venomfire.

BrainCandy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 01:44:23 PM »
The Animal Devotion feat also gives anyone a poisonous bite attack for 1 min/day, though it would probably take a generous DM to allow it to work with venomfire.

Well, my DM pretty much lets me do what I want if say it's legal because I know the rules far better than him. So I tend to take strict interpretations of the rules, I don't want to abuse the trust  :D What DeST said about the wording of Venomfire kind of busts my hustle a bit, the spell does have some interesting phrasing. I think the Hydra trick is right out.

I like the Yaun-Ti fang graft. By strict RAW I am iffy on using it with Venomfire, but it meets the prereq for Spit Venom and opens up that feat chain. If I can't find a better alternative, it will do. A non-level adjustment template would be better though, so I can still keep caster levels and use Venomfire/Spit Venom in normal form. Anyone know of such a thing?

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 05:16:48 PM »
anthro snake not an option then?

templates eh? hmmmm. not thinking of one off the top of the head.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »
There's a Lizard-folk in one of the MM (MM2?) that has a Poison Bite, and LA +0...
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 07:00:54 PM »
There's a Lizard-folk in one of the MM (MM2?) that has a Poison Bite, and LA +0...

Poisondusk Lizardfolk in MM3 has poison use but no natural poison and is LA +1. Which is the closest thing to that I can find.

A Mulhorandi Divine Minion of Seth, that is a LA +2 template can turn into a number of poisonous creatures as a free action at will. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a
But it's sub-par IMO, as it eats two of your levels and you aren't in your natural form when you get your poison.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
Monster of Legend template from MMII gives a poisonous bite.  Or be a Drider.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!