Author Topic: Grenade Chucker?  (Read 2150 times)

Dawnmor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Grenade Chucker?
« on: May 28, 2011, 03:18:21 PM »
Welp, I am in the frame of mind for a grenadier.  I have found few feats to help support this, and a friend of mine suggested a Rogue.  Due to the SA to thrown grenade weapons?.  There are tons of PRC to support throwing 2 daggers or similiar at once, per round and tons of optimizing with Tome of battle stuff.  So I am curious what is the best way to fulfil this type of concept?, For me I have only seen 2 feats, Grenadier and a feat called 'Talenta warrior' I think its called.  Then there are tons of PRC's like the halflings Whisper knife, Tome of Battle Blade blood thrower (brain isnt working), is there any other possibilities?.

I have access to most of the books either in PDF or Hardback, my DM is one of dem bastards so 3rd party stuff may be allowed.  If I dont have the book then I dont think ill beable to use it.

If you can help, please give refferences and such.  Thanks.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Grenade Chucker?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
See also this feat.

Have you considered the alchemist class from Pathfinder? For a 3.5 game you'd drop Fly and Perception from the skill list and add Search, Spot and Listen.

I even made a homebrew archetype for it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:42:49 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »
You know for just under 300 gp you could have someone build you a command-word activated item of Launch Item (SpC) which would hurl your grenades upwards of 100 ft.

But this is only relevant if you actually want a grenade launcher...

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:23:43 AM »
PHB2 has the greandier feat and somewhere (think one of th Races books) there's a feat called Shape Splash (hit two adjacent foes with a direct hit, don't hit adjacent allies)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 02:10:23 AM »
Depending on starting level, the serene guardian from shattered gates of slaughtergarde might be a good pick - the no-save confusion ability you get late in the PrC triggers whenever you deal damage multiple times per round, no matter how small.  Chucking a couple of acid flasks makes it impossible to avoid getting splashed twice.

Also, telekinesis lets you deliver a lot of grenades quickly.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kikage

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 02:49:50 AM »
You could also go the route of a wizard casting Explosive Runes on stuff and setting them off. You could research different versions of it, such as a sonic version for taking down architecture. Though that depends on the answer to a few questions. Do multiple casts stack? If you were to make clay arrowheads and cast ER on them, would the arrowhead shattering set off the spell, or would you have to enchant the arrow to botch a dispel check on the runes to set them off when the hit something?

mesher

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »
Consider the following:

Master Thrower prc (Complete Warrior)
Bloodstorm Blade prc (ToB)
Skiprock weapon (race of the wild)
add dex to damage via dead eye feat, targetter variant from Dragon mag and aptitude weapon on skiprock for shadow blade feat

It should be a good start already... :smirk

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 05:37:51 PM »
For nonmagical explosives, secrets of sarlonna has detpacks. A little pricey unless you have an easy magical means of manufacturing them.
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

Dawnmor

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 12:14:25 AM »
Is there a web link for the targeteer ?, and incase I do have the drag magazine, what number is it ?,

Ill check out the Det packs, thanks.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 12:21:20 AM »
Consider a quiver of aurorum +1 returning spell-storing power-storing dye arrows that you can fill with poison via Psionic/Minor Creation (or other alchemical liquids or oils). Release a power and a spell with a ranged touch attack. Awesome if you're a psionic artificer, but if you can manage to fill the arrows some other way (such as via a cerebremancer cohort), you're gold.

Add a least energy crystal (sonic) for sonic sneak attack damage.

Sure, it's not a grenade (exactly), but you've got a ton of range, and potential buffs/debuffs/healing/damage if you want it, all as an attack action.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:25:21 AM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

mesher

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 06:22:59 AM »
Targeteer is in Dragon 310 p39

If you use Eberon setting, consider Boomerand Daze and Bommerang Ricochet Feats also:

http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-254-boomerang-daze.html

Arz

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
You cannot go grenadier without first taking Shaped Splash from RoE.