Author Topic: Help me Optimize an epic level Great Wyrm Red Dragon NPC for my DM!  (Read 6046 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: Help me Optimize an epic level Great Wyrm Red Dragon NPC for my DM!
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
Do Binders actually have an epic progression like that?

Handy Links

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 03:15:37 PM »
Yup. It used to be on WotC's site via Dragon 363, but you can still find it archived.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »
What would people think about abusing the wording of Versitile Spellcaster?

I could go Dragon Ascendant 12 / Wizard 1 / Geometer 2 / Archivist 3 / Insert X class Here 3

If I use my resources to scribe every arcane & divine spell I possibly can into my spellbooks they all count as my spells known.
I could burn sorcerer spell slots to cast those higher level spells scribed in my spellbooks even if my Wizard / Archivist CL normally would not have a slot high enough.
And presto! An ancient arcane / divine librairy.

Although Geometer is really only to make those Boccobs Blessed books go a lot longer. The levels could be removed for something else.

Any thoughts?
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 07:48:06 PM »
I'm concerned no-one has suggested a Dragonwrought Kobold yet. It ticks all of these boxes:
* Must be a true dragon
* The dragon will start at max age category. (I debate using the epic rules on dragon progression or not.)
* The dragon must be a master of all arcane.
* In addition to his draconic HD the dragon has 21 character levels to play with.
* Wealth, Time, and Resources are effectively limitless barring bending space time.
* The dragon must be immortal and immune to the effects of time. (DM's words, not mine.)
* Sources are pretty much anything within reason.

It would probably not be as powerful as a Great Wyrm thingamagincka dragon (Isn't Force dragon the most powerful?) but it would be fun having the PCs fear the "dragon" all the time, and when they finally meet it, they face something little bigger than a house-cat, who then proceeds to beat their asses.

What about making the dragon a master spellthief or a rainbow servant (this does need a refluff as an evil rainbow servant)? So not only does it fight like a dragon with loads of sneak attack dice, it also has a caster level of around 500.
It'd be something like this:
Great Wyrm Red Dragon/ Master Spellthief 1/Wizard 1/Bard 1/Sublime Chord 2/Rainbow Servant 10/Assassin 1/Knight of the Weave 1/Beguiler 1/Warmage 1/Dread Necromancer 1/Some Arcane Casting Class 1
Sure it wouldn't have a lot of spells, but the ones it had it would cast at something like caster level 400, and it could get wings of flurry and Consumptive Field perfectly well.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out