Author Topic: Rogue Archer  (Read 4802 times)

cmakonline

• Monkey bussiness
Rogue Archer
« on: May 22, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »

This is a low level campaign (so far). We are all currently level 2 (pretty close to level 3). We are playing a 3.5 game

I am playing a Changeling Rogue1/Fighter1 (fighter taken on for an extra feat). Feats are point blank shot and Precise Shot.

We haven't been in too many fights, so I have not had a need to sneak a head of the party and look for traps (but I do have the skills to do it if needed). The group had a lot of melee combat (monk, fighter and ranger with TWF) and we do have a cleric for healing and a sorcerer. So I took up the ranged attacks as for backup support.

I want some help figuring out what to do for the first 6 levels. I am thinking of adding swashbuckler (in case I have to go melee I think this would help a lot) into this character (3 levels at most) but not fully sure.

Since the character is such a low level, I am open to a lot of suggestions. DM says no psionic stuff - that is the only limitation I am given (so any d&d 3.5 book is open - the DM rather have stuff from wizards only bc he wants to look it up in the book)

btw I use the composite longbow

stats:
str 10
dex 18
con 12
int 18
wis 12
cha 14

I have read a lot of different archer builds online - but not much with a rogue twist on it to use SA

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Rogue Archer
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:16:51 PM »
Take the Craven feat. You'll love it.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:50:33 AM »
Ditch the longbow, take Hand Crossbow Focus (DotU) and Crossbow Sniper (PH2).  With one more fighter level, you can get them both next level.  This is critically important for sneak attack archers since it increases their effective range from 30' to 60', and is the only thing short of a none-too-useful spell that increases effective range at all.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:00:01 AM »
Unless you want the bow for character reasons, there is a lot more support for a crossbow rogue archer.  With hand crossbow focus, and a +1 Aptitude Heavy Crossbow, you can reload instantly.  With various feats, you can add dex to damage a bunch of times.  With a feat you can sneak attack at 60' range.

Craven and various gear adds to your sneak attack damage.

I'll dig up JaronK's crossbow S.W.A.T archer if you're interested in it.

-

But looking at that group, what it seems like they need is a bard.  If you like talkying, you might consider retraining your rogue level to a level in Bard.  To use bardic music, I like Perform (Oratory) to give rousing speeches to 'the men', or just constantly shit-talk the opposition.  I say this mainly because Bard Archers are quite good, and with a heavy melee frontline they're going to appreciate the +3 or +4 to hit and damage you can give without heavy cheese, or +4d6 fire damage with Dragonfire Inspiration.  With Song Of The White Raven you could be Orating as a swift action, and firing a bow or casting spells or something with your full round/standard.

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »
Honestly, if you aren't going hand crossbow, I prefer the feat rogue (from UA, but here's a link) to the sneak attack rogue for an archer.  This way you don't need to dilute your skill points by dipping fighter, but still have the feats necessary.  Going feat rogue 2 instead of rogue 1/fighter 1 gives you an extra feat, way more skill points, and earlier access to Evasion, in exchange for sneak attack.

Basically, the main advantage to using a longbow is its range, so if you aren't taking advantage of that, you may as well switch to the hand crossbow (which has more support for rogues).  If you ARE taking advantage of its range, then feats are way more valuable to you than sneak attacks.  Just some food for thought...

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 06:08:08 PM »
Are you using the Eberron Changeling Rogue ACF? Because if you aren't, you should. It's in Races of Eberron.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Dawnmor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 02:35:40 AM »

I want some help figuring out what to do for the first 6 levels. I am thinking of adding swashbuckler (in case I have to go melee I think this would help a lot) into this character (3 levels at most) but not fully sure.

When I read this I almost smacked myself and then thought of the best way to SMACK YOU!.  Your trying for a Ranged Archer Rogue, Swashbuckler is for melee.  You dont do this, Swashbuckler is a NO NO for a ranged archer.  Your not a jack of all trades, to be good you need to focus where youre going.

Like Rogue 6/Deep wood sniper XX/XXX *Prefferably towards increasing your ranged abilities*.  Synergizing NOT! throwing synergizing out the window.  You want Ranged, then Focus on that.  You want melee, focus on melee.

I made a character who tried to do EVERYTHING and in the end I had to scrap the character because he wasnt good at anything.  So FOCUS! where you want to go, dont go all over the place, if you get into melee then your playing an Archer ALL THE WRONG WAY.  Archers are to stay out of melee, not run into it.  Allow the melee to melee and you fire your crossbow/Bow.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:38:02 AM »
Swashbuckler + swordbow = int to ranged damage.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 04:19:18 AM »
Power Throw has Power Attack as a pre-req, so you may as well mix it up in melee on occasion if you play a strength-based chucker.  You can even combine the two shticks with the Hurling Charge feat.

cmakonline

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 06:30:26 AM »

When I read this I almost smacked myself and then thought of the best way to SMACK YOU!.  Your trying for a Ranged Archer Rogue, Swashbuckler is for melee.  You dont do this, Swashbuckler is a NO NO for a ranged archer.  Your not a jack of all trades, to be good you need to focus where youre going.

Like Rogue 6/Deep wood sniper XX/XXX *Prefferably towards increasing your ranged abilities*.  Synergizing NOT! throwing synergizing out the window.  You want Ranged, then Focus on that.  You want melee, focus on melee.

I made a character who tried to do EVERYTHING and in the end I had to scrap the character because he wasnt good at anything.  So FOCUS! where you want to go, dont go all over the place, if you get into melee then your playing an Archer ALL THE WRONG WAY.  Archers are to stay out of melee, not run into it.  Allow the melee to melee and you fire your crossbow/Bow.
[/quote]

I thank you for the suggestion.  I thought it was always good to have backup plans.  I did like ability to do both melee and ranged attacks, but what you said makes a lot of sense.  I got permission to make the fighter level to targeteer fighter variant.  I am not sure if the DM will allow Deepwood Sniper since WoTC has not yet updated it for 3.5.  I do like the idea that someone posted dealing with swashbuckler3 + swordbow = int on attack, but its isn't worth the 3 level dip since I am more interested in ranged attack.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »
If you just want to be somewhat sneaky and shoot people, Ranger3/Soulknife2/Soulbow10/Kensai5 is a decent build.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.