Author Topic: Help me choose a template  (Read 3565 times)

behaigo

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Help me choose a template
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »
In the campaign I am playing in I play a Necropolitan Fighter//Rogue and the DM has offered me a free template.  Any template qualifies as long as it has no more than a +1 LA (or +1 CR if no LA is listed) and fits my character theme.

My character is an assassin (not the PrC) and relies a lot on intimidate.  Also, praying mantises play a large role in my back story.  I have boiled it down to either the evolved or swarm-shifter templates, but I'm not too set on anything.

I'm fairly MAD heavy, using everything but Con (duh) and Wis, if that makes a difference.

So, should I pick evolved, swarm-shifter or something else, and how can I optimize my choice?

Thanks a bunch.

Edit: I should note that this is a Pathfinder campaign, but all official 3.5 material (including Dragon and Campaign Specific) is allowed.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:09:34 PM by behaigo »
My Unitarian Jihad Name is Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion.  What's yours?

This is the best name generator ever!

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Help me choose a template
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:32:05 PM »
+1 for Swarm-shifter

this template is one of the best templates out there for any sort of undead (especially sneaky ones), its a shame that it normally has no listed LA

Summerstorm

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
Dark (Tome of Magic, Shadow section)
You become faster (+10 ft)
get ridiculous hide and move silently boni, when it is shadowy.

and get "Hide in plain sight"... stabbity stab.

Well, but it is inherited... so well... i guess you can't take it (If your gm doesn't allow for like a ritual infusing you with shadowstuff or something)

behaigo

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 11:05:53 PM »
I'm heavily leaning toward swarm-shifter, though I am still open to other options (shadow looks pretty nice).  Not a whole lot trumps automatic damage and immunity to weapons.  Which of the options listed would be closest to a swarm of mantises?

Also, a few questions about swarms:

1.  Does evasion still apply while I'm in swarm form?
2.  Are there any feats or magic items that are synergistic with being a swarm?
3.  Is there any way to increase swarm damage other than getting more HD?

One last thing, inherited templates may be applied retroactively in this instance.
My Unitarian Jihad Name is Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion.  What's yours?

behaigo

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 11:09:05 PM »
Also, I should note that this is a Pathfinder campaign, but all official 3.5 material (including Dragon and Campaign Specific) is allowed.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 03:19:37 AM »
Use the undead sand to be baby mantises, being Fine gives huge hide bonuses.

Yes Evasion works in swarm form.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 07:03:31 PM »

Well, but it is inherited... so well... i guess you can't take it (If your gm doesn't allow for like a ritual infusing you with shadowstuff or something)
Skill bonuses are all of the time and Dark is one of those templates that is either inherited or aquired.  In fact, they have a sidebar about players gaining it in leiu of a class level.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

behaigo

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:51:12 AM »

Skill bonuses are all of the time and Dark is one of those templates that is either inherited or aquired.  In fact, they have a sidebar about players gaining it in leiu of a class level.

I hadn't noticed that bit about getting the template instead of a class level.  That might be an option I explore in the future.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
Spellstiched (Complete Arcane) is also nice.  A 6th level spell as a SLA + other bonuses?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »
he said Wis was a dump, otherwise i would have suggested that

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »
Heck suggest it anyway. Srsly, +6 enhancement & +5 tome means you could have started with an 8 and be fine. Likewise, it's not like hitting 19 means you lose everything either. Even a 14 is wisdom grants two 3rds, two 2nds, and two 1st level SLAs.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

behaigo

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »
Heck suggest it anyway. Srsly, +6 enhancement & +5 tome means you could have started with an 8 and be fine. Likewise, it's not like hitting 19 means you lose everything either. Even a 14 is wisdom grants two 3rds, two 2nds, and two 1st level SLAs.

That might be tempting if this campaign wasn't so lethal.  We usually have at least had one party member die per week and have had a TPK about 1/4 of the sessions.  Every time we die we start out at ECL 2 again, but we usually get a at least a level per session.  Right now I'm level 6, which is the highest anybody has gotten so far.

I think that turning into a swarm will be the best way to increase my survivability, so I'm probably going to stick with that.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:27:30 AM by behaigo »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 01:10:24 PM »
That might be tempting if this campaign wasn't so lethal.  We usually have at least had one party member die per week and have had a TPK about 1/4 of the sessions.  Every time we die we start out at ECL 2 again, but we usually get a at least a level per session.  Right now I'm level 6, which is the highest anybody has gotten so far.
Pay a druid to reincarnate your character, remain higher level than the rest (ha losers).

Also there is always the Mantle of Fiery Soul + Pale Master + Polymorph to troll trick for near immunity to damage. Might help.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 04:28:02 PM »
half-fey template can be handy, the first level is la+1. it would interesting if you are allowed to use the la buyoff to reduce your la to 0, then take the second level of half-fey for another +1.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Chilastra022

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »
If your playing as an undead with PF -and- 3.5 content allowed, Might i suggest some feats?

Daunting Presence (Libris Mortis, Pg 25)
Death Master (Libris Mortis, Pg 26)
Eviscerator (Libris Mortis, pg 26)

Weapon Focus (Kukri most likely), (PfSRD)
Dazzling Display (PfSRD)
Shatter Defense (PfSRD)? ^_~

I currently play an undead binder with this feat combo, and works wonders for any role, be it stealthing/sneak attacking or tanking/melee dps. Whenever you crit, not only does the target get 2 stacks of shaken automatically (no save) from Death Master and Eviscerator, but all nearby enemies (allies of said target) within 30 feet get 1 stack of shaken as well (from eviscerator). But whats more is the target is now flat footed to your attacks until the very end of your next turn (but only to your attacks). Although in my binder's case, she also has a few auras that further nerf their saves and stack further fears on them, as well as intimidating strike from PHB2, so she essentially auto-panics things. But alternatively, such feats can be used to increase your damage output to a large degree thanks to sneak attack + shatter defense as well.

Course, this is only if you wish to be a fear/sneak attack machine, but it definitely would improve your odds of survival in a fight xD and send your dps through the roof.

behaigo

• Email
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 01:46:24 AM »
If your playing as an undead with PF -and- 3.5 content allowed, Might i suggest some feats?

Daunting Presence (Libris Mortis, Pg 25)
Death Master (Libris Mortis, Pg 26)
Eviscerator (Libris Mortis, pg 26)

Weapon Focus (Kukri most likely), (PfSRD)
Dazzling Display (PfSRD)
Shatter Defense (PfSRD)? ^_~
Those 3 from Libris Mortis might fit in pretty well with what I have, which include the other 3 :D.

Right now I seem to have a pretty good thing going.  Imperious Command + Bravado's Blade or Dazzling Display is a recipe for good times, especially with Zhentarim Soldier thrown in.