Author Topic: the elsuive sword wave  (Read 4129 times)

borsniel

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
the elsuive sword wave
« on: May 18, 2011, 03:09:16 AM »
ive played 3.5 for a long time, and one thing ive never been able to use is a sword wave. what i mean by sword wave is swing your sword for a ranged energy blast as either a ranged touch or a shaped blast like line or cone. i had my hopes up with tome of battle but was let down. im hoping for something like link form legend of Zelda or ichigo from bleach.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
Re: the elsuive sword wave
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 03:21:04 AM »
Well, wraithstrike the spell makes it touch attack. I'm sure there's a spell that makes the weapon fly in a line, which would be very getsuga if you could combine the two. All link does is use the whirlwind attack feat, really, but there are better ways for him to use a boost to damage frankly...

borsniel

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 03:55:32 AM »
wraith strike is half the issue solved, the other half is not completely blowing in combat or having a squishy HD.... if only dusk blades had an updated spell list.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:24:20 AM »
Wraithstrike + Bloodstorm Blade

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 07:02:24 AM »
I think what he is asking for is an actual energy type attack that projects off the melee weapon. Wraithstrike does not do this and neither does bloodstorm blade. Throwing your sword at someone and then having it return does not quite meet the feel of ranged energy attack.

The most logical thing to do would be to enchant a melee weapon to produce an area effect attack when swung properly. Easy ideas are cone of "Insert X Energy Type Here", or many of the line attacks. This gets fairly pricy though.

A level 3 lightning bolt cast at level 5 caster level at will on a melee weapon should cost around 30,000g. Not really feeling it for 5d6 use activated. Even for a command word it would still cost around 27,000g.

Another simple solution; allbeit not as visually fun, is to adapt the Bloodwind spell from SpC to affect melee weapons instead of natural weapons. Now you can attack with "invisible" melee strikes from up to 20ft away. I seem to recall a villain from the Ruroni Kenshin series using compressed air waves as a form of ranged attack. An at use bloodwind weapon would cost roughly 2,000g. Some may argue that since it has a duration of 1 round you multiply the cost by 4. If this is the case then the cost is 8k. But since the books specifically uses the phrase. "rounds" I take it by RAW it means plural and thus a spell lasting only 1 round is exempt from that ruling.

So in short:
Spend a chunk of change to add X cone/line spell as a command word or use activated effect to a weapon.

OR

Modify the bloodwind spell to work with melee weapons. Although 2k gold to increase your reach with any melee weapon by 20ft seems somewhat like swiss cheese. XP
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:10:05 AM »
Its hard to do, so hard to do in fact that I was writing a homebrew class for it...

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »
Link has Somatic Weaponry and is fond of blasting?  Seems easy enough to me...just make sure the character is a southpaw to stay true to form.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:18:07 AM »
Duskblade + Arcane Disciple (Fire Domain)???

Or just add another domain with blasty spells.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:50:26 PM »

Quote from: srd
Flame Tongue
This is a +1 flaming burst longsword. Once per day, the sword can blast forth a fiery ray at any target within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. The ray deals 4d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit.

Moderate evocation; CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, scorching ray, and flame blade, flame strike, or fireball; Price 20,715 gp; Cost 10,515 gp + 816 XP.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
Whirling Blade spell. Lightning Throw maneuver. Ring the Golden Bell feat.

Also, relevant trope.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Empirate

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »
Damn you to hell for linking to tvtropes!!!    :shakefist :shakefist :shakefist    I just wasted precious minutes of my workday wandering aimlessly around there (and no, I won't tell how many minutes it's been...)!!!

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »
Raumathari Battlemage, Unapproachable East

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 03:17:27 PM »
Whirling Blade spell. Lightning Throw maneuver.
These struck me as the obvious, although Lightning Throw is just too high level for my tastes.  Can be combined w/ Wraithstrike as well for extra fun. 

borsniel

• Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 12:10:17 AM »
The most logical thing to do would be to enchant a melee weapon to produce an area effect attack when swung properly. Easy ideas are cone of "Insert X Energy Type Here", or many of the line attacks. This gets fairly pricy though.

A level 3 lightning bolt cast at level 5 caster level at will on a melee weapon should cost around 30,000g. Not really feeling it for 5d6 use activated. Even for a command word it would still cost around 27,000g.

So in short:
Spend a chunk of change to add X cone/line spell as a command word or use activated effect to a weapon.

YES,YES,YES!!!

exactly what i need. just wondering did you get that out of a book some where? if so id love to know which one. thanks for the tip.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 12:29:27 AM »
Make a magical trap on your sword, automatic reset, etc.

Look 'em up in the DMG under traps, page 67.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

borsniel

• Email
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 01:10:04 AM »
Make a magical trap on your sword, automatic reset, etc.

Look 'em up in the DMG under traps, page 67.

Way to much of a stretch, my DM will never allow it.

Ras F

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:10:44 AM »
Psionics- flavor is mutable. Swinging a sword is just an additional somatic component you can add if you like.
Life gives you lemons? Then you better fucking learn Citromancy.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 09:17:48 AM »
Psionics- flavor is mutable. Swinging a sword is just an additional somatic component you can add if you like.

Same with magic... just be a wizard and have the somatic component for lightning bolt or the like be a swing with your sword. Bonus points if you gish and can actually hit things.

ILM

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »

So in short:

YES,YES,YES!!!

exactly what i need. just wondering did you get that out of a book some where? if so id love to know which one. thanks for the tip.
That's pretty much the item crafting rules in the DMG. Check them here.

3 (spell level) * 5 (caster level) * 2000 (use-activated) = 30k. Personally, I'd go with command-word, just so it's a standard action. Use-activated allows full-attack "sword waves", and even though they're not exactly game-breaking I think I'd have a problem with that conceptually.

Find a spell you like (I'd go with cone-shaped effects, such as Acid Breath or Cone of Cold), if necessary Energy Substitute it to your liking and submit that to your DM.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 10:07:23 AM »
Swordsage has some energy based blasts along these lines.
Placeholder - T'tosc