Author Topic: Heterodoxy rules variant.  (Read 3078 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Heterodoxy rules variant.
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:35:46 PM »
Alright, everyone, open Tome of Magic to page 14. Look at the sidebar on the bottom of the page.

An interesting build might be a Cloistered Cleric who swapped out the Knowledge Domain and one other for Domain Feats, and took Divine Magician in place of his Domains.

If you do so, a two level dip in Binder will lose you nothing, but will get you 5 abilities from the Binder Pact Augment list upon hitting 20th level. One more level in Binder, and you get a bonus feat.

Now, to abuse this...

Oh, and the Paladin version only says you can't USE Divine Grace, not that you lose it. So nab Gift of Grace and pass Divine Grace of to your allies. Use it to qualify for some stuff.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Paradox

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Heterodoxy rules variant.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 05:59:46 AM »
Oh, and the Paladin version only says you can't USE Divine Grace, not that you lose it. So nab Gift of Grace and pass Divine Grace of to your allies. Use it to qualify for some stuff.

Seems iffy to me.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »
Alright, everyone, open Tome of Magic to page 14. Look at the sidebar on the bottom of the page.

An interesting build might be a Cloistered Cleric who swapped out the Knowledge Domain and one other for Domain Feats, and took Divine Magician in place of his Domains.

If you do so, a two level dip in Binder will lose you nothing, but will get you 5 abilities from the Binder Pact Augment list upon hitting 20th level. One more level in Binder, and you get a bonus feat.

Now, to abuse this...

Wonder how this looks on a divine anima mage...
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 11:10:05 AM »

Now, to abuse this...

Wonder how this looks on a divine anima mage...
Not bad, but not great; you only count Cleric class levels, not caster level or anything shiny like that.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »
Indeed. A Divine Animage at level 20 isn't all that much better. You would have to go with another level of Binder, which sucks. With Sanctum spell, I assume, you could go Binder 2/Cloistered Cleric 1/Anima Mage 10/Cloistered Cleric 7, which would still only give you level 10 Pact augmentation and the bonuses are not that great. +6 insight bonus to initiative is good, but you can get +5 by just buying a magic weapon. +3 insight bonus to savings throws is good, but not that good considering the saves Clerics usually have with Superior Resistance and Conviction (and, of course, the prime stats). If this stacked for the purposes of Binder levels in general...

Handy Links