Author Topic: Fun Finds 2: (aka Tidbits Repository)  (Read 77683 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Re: Fun Finds 2: (aka Tidbits Repository)
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 06:01:11 PM »
Well, it kinda is...
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 06:53:24 PM »
All else fails... permanency on Owl's Insight?

I wasn't aware that could be made permanent.

Though note that all you need is 19 Wis when you make something spell stitched... it doesn't have to stay that way.

As for Otherworldly... they have to be Demons, not just Outsiders.

JaronK

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 07:25:05 PM »
Anyone got an idea, other than a bunch of Improved Familiar on your followers?

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »
Rebuke/Command oozes that split... and keep whacking them with a club?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »
Rebuke/Command oozes that split... and keep whacking them with a club?
Or Shapechange into one of those.

Handy Links

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2011, 06:13:26 PM »
It still sucks, but the Savage Progression Vampire gets some nice use out of Charisma. Specifically, everything it used Constitution for. Normally it's just for Concentration checks, but the savage progression instead gets it "for all skills, save DCs, and other quantities that previously incorporated his Constitution modifier". That should include hit points, the Deepwarden and FotF's Con to AC abilities, Fort saves, and probably a few other useful things.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2011, 06:48:55 PM »
I take 8 levels of Sorcerer, and gain Charisma to bonus spells. Twice.

(Dwarf Sorcerer FTW!)

That is an exceptional find. I will go find ways to abuse that now.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »
Holy Transformation (SpC, pg. 116) gives you the [Archon] subtype.  The subtype indicates you can use Greater Teleport at will as a (Su) ability.  The spell is personal range, thus easily persistable.  Is this as good as I think it is?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2011, 08:11:35 PM »
It is not often you need to teleport that many times a day, but still it is handy indeed. For personal travel it is a lot cheaper Greater Teleport, for sure.

Handy Links

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »
Alright, back to report on the abuse-ability of Vampire Savage Progression 8. Observe the following build stub:

Magic-blood Korobukuri Sorcerer 1/Monk 1/Sorcerer +8//Vampire Savage Progression 8/X 1

ACFs used:
Domain Access (Dwarf)
Earth Meditation (Dwarf Sorcerer substitution level)

Feats (1 flaw):
1st: Precocious Apprentice (Wings of Cover) 
Flaw: Spellcasting Prodigy
2nd: Your choice
3rd: Ascetic Mage
Domain Bonus: Endurance
6th: Steadfast Determination
9th: Your choice

End result:
-+6 racial bonus to Charisma, along with some other goodies.
-Both Will and Fort saves are based off of Charisma. You can't fail Fort saves on a 1.
-d12 hitdice, and you get Charisma to HP instead of Constitution. Translates to HP roughly equivalent to that of a Barbarian of similar level.
-Charisma to AC and to bonus spells.
-Weaker version of Arcane Strike.

Your charisma modifier for the purpose of determining your bonus spells per day is:
18 (Pointbuy)+2 (levels)+6 (Racial)+2 (Spellcasting Prodigy)-10, or +18

Yes, you do have the equivalent of a Charisma of 46 for the purpose of the number of spells per day you have.

This is all before magic items, of course; By 20th level, you should have:
18 (Pointbuy)+5 (levels)+6 (Racial)+6 (Enhancement)+5 (Inherent)+2 (Spellcasting Prodigy)-10, or +32.

That is: 8 1st, 8 2nd, 8 3rd, 8 4th, 7 5th, 7 6th, 7 7th, 7 8th, and 6 9th level spells.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 01:04:45 AM »
It still sucks, but the Savage Progression Vampire gets some nice use out of Charisma. Specifically, everything it used Constitution for. Normally it's just for Concentration checks, but the savage progression instead gets it "for all skills, save DCs, and other quantities that previously incorporated his Constitution modifier". That should include hit points, the Deepwarden and FotF's Con to AC abilities, Fort saves, and probably a few other useful things.

That's a nice oversight on the authors' part. It's a step up from the entry in the Monster Manual on page 293 that states, "Also use Charisma for any DC that normally would be based on an ability score the creature does not have. For example, undead have no Constitution score, so any poison attack an undead creature has would use Charisma to determine the save DC."
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2011, 01:17:03 AM »
Basically, after 7 levels in Vampire, you can actually still use soulmelds...

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2011, 01:20:49 AM »
The moral of the story: if you have to go Vampire, take the class, not the template.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »
Speaking of undeath, I just noticed that Greater Divine Surge from ToB allows you to take up to your initiator level in con damage to do 6d8+2d8 per point and get +1 to hit per point.  Nothing stops you from being immune to this damage, so a 15th level Necropolitan Crusader can use this maneuver for +15 to hit and +36d8 damage.  Sadly it's a full round action that leaves you flat footed afterwords, but that's still impressive and a great way to finish off an enemy.  Add in Bloodline abuse for even more damage.

JaronK

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2011, 11:20:26 PM »
Well, you do not take the CON damage, so whether or not that works is not that straightforward. To me, at least.

Handy Links

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2011, 12:54:26 AM »
[Sing-song]Guess what I just found...[/Sing-song]

The Extra Spell/Slot feats only specify that the spell/slot be below the highest level you can CAST. It never adds the note, "to the spells known/spells per day of the class that has the highest level of spell castable."

So, what does this mean? It means that you can essentially add one spell/slot to any one of your classes.

I want you to say hello to Ur-Priest as a source for early high-level spells on any list.

And there is always the fact that it says the highest LEVEL spell you can cast, so a Chameleon with some form of crazy Heightening could get a really high level spell/slot added to their focus.

I noticed this while trying to figure out a way to get the Arcane Recharge trick pre-11th level.

<I realize that this has probably been cleared in either the FAQs or in the Errata. Still, if it hasn't... I'm sure this is usable for something.>

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2011, 12:56:13 AM »
[Sing-song]Guess what I just found...[/Sing-song]

The Extra Spell/Slot feats only specify that the spell/slot be below the highest level you can CAST. It never adds the note, "to the spells known/spells per day of the class that has the highest level of spell castable."

So, what does this mean? It means that you can essentially add one spell/slot to any one of your classes.

I want you to say hello to Ur-Priest as a source for early high-level spells on any list.

And there is always the fact that it says the highest LEVEL spell you can cast, so a Chameleon with some form of crazy Heightening could get a really high level spell/slot added to their focus.

I noticed this while trying to figure out a way to get the Arcane Recharge trick pre-11th level.

<I realize that this has probably been cleared in either the FAQs or in the Errata. Still, if it hasn't... I'm sure this is usable for something.>

One more reason why Planar Touchstone is a bad ass feat :D
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:04 AM »
What about a Chameleon that takes Extra Spell as the bonus feat, and adding a new spell to its spellbook as a wizard (or similar class)

Do you then keep that scribed spell when you 'replace' the feat?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2011, 03:00:51 AM »
Yes, you do. You have to spend the spell slot to scribe it in your book and pay all associate costs but once you do that the spell is just in your book, losing the feat does squat to that.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2011, 03:50:35 AM »
Well, you do not take the CON damage, so whether or not that works is not that straightforward. To me, at least.

Sure you take it.  You're just immune to it.  It's not like Hellfire Warlock... the language is completely different, and the wording in ToB is just that you chose to take the hit and in return get extra damage (as opposed to your con being the thing that fuels the attack, like the Hellfire Warlock).

Of course, in the end a charger would hit harder, but it's still an idea to consider.

JaronK