Author Topic: Fun Finds 2: (aka Tidbits Repository)  (Read 77685 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Fun Finds 2: (aka Tidbits Repository)
« Reply #340 on: July 15, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
The one that I like in there is Disarm.  It's almost as effective as shatter in many circumstances (like if you're disarming stuff that's not a melee weapon).  You can also jack your CL and just be a turd with it.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: July 16, 2011, 02:11:59 AM »
I wonder if these have come up before.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/mb

Some *really* interesting spells in here.  Disarm seems pretty good for a 1st-level spell.
At least some of those were included in the Spell Compendium.

Stalactite Trap sounds like it could be incredibly annoying. Get a really big cavern, a couple of magic traps to reset them...It won't kill much, but it'd be amusing, if nothing else.

Infinite damage!

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #342 on: July 16, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »
Saw some of the neat finds regarding the Villain Design Handbook and found one of my own:

KoK:VDH page 76, "Spell Swap [Metamagic Feat]": this feat lets a wizard, for an easily beaten spellcraft DC, spontaneously cast at-will. Further, though RAI is clear enough (i.e. clear enough that it can, in fact, be considered intended), the RAW leaves open a few critical issues: must the spell swapped in be from your spell list? must you know the spell to be swapped in? The text explicitly states it must be of the same level. It says nothing of spell source (arcane or divine), of spell list, of class, of being known. If you squint a little bit, wizards can now cast any spell of any level to which they have access (and have prepared spells).

To anticipate people citing the parenthetical remark about clerics, "much like clerics" is not grounds for claiming RAW as simile is not a useful logical determinant, nor should the parenthetical remark be considered at all as an assertion of rules since such remarks are semantically unnecessary, used for clarification, not for crucial elements, which rules certainly are in a game, as games are rules-based.

Joygasm!  This little bad ass is sooo fucking going in the Handbook (and a case could be made for the War Weaver handbook as well).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #343 on: July 16, 2011, 07:49:06 PM »
If i read it correctly, you can only swap it with another spell you had prepared.

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #344 on: July 21, 2011, 10:00:43 PM »
If i read it correctly, you can only swap it with another spell you had prepared.
The wording makes it seem so, but it works as stated previously. You trade a spell (the one you want to cast) for one you currently have prepared (of the same level).

I love it, but I can't imagine any sane DM allowing that.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #345 on: August 28, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »
From the divine minion template:

A cleric of the Mulhorandi pantheon who knows the correct prayers can use summon monster V to summon a 6th-level divine minion, or he can use an appropriate planar ally spell to call one of a desired level.

So we can summon 6th level characters with Summon Monster V? Well, what if we summon a Divine Minion of Thoth, that has aberrant Wild Shape and 6 levels of Beholder Mage? Would that work?
Even without that Cheese we could summon a Thrallherd. Or if that is impossible, just a 6th level cleric.

What ways can we abuse this? Perhaps we could use Shadowcraft Mage to mimic the ability to cast summon monster V 3 levels early, and summon a duplicate of ourselves?

EDIT: A shadowcraft Mage with DMM Heighten? Some Cleric Domain that has Silent Image, and a Shadow spell, and then add in Spontaneous Domains? Then you could easily summon a copy of yourself that is more real than yourself, and he could summon one even more real, and so on and so forth?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:57:53 PM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #346 on: August 28, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »
From the divine minion template:

A cleric of the Mulhorandi pantheon who knows the correct prayers can use summon monster V to summon a 6th-level divine minion, or he can use an appropriate planar ally spell to call one of a desired level.

So we can summon 6th level characters with Summon Monster V? Well, what if we summon a Divine Minion of Thoth, that has aberrant Wild Shape and 6 levels of Beholder Mage? Would that work?
Even without that Cheese we could summon a Thrallherd. Or if that is impossible, just a 6th level cleric.

What ways can we abuse this? Perhaps we could use Shadowcraft Mage to mimic the ability to cast summon monster V 3 levels early, and summon a duplicate of ourselves?

EDIT: A shadowcraft Mage with DMM Heighten? Some Cleric Domain that has Silent Image, and a Shadow spell, and then add in Spontaneous Domains? Then you could easily summon a copy of yourself that is more real than yourself, and he could summon one even more real, and so on and so forth?
You can only choose what kind of creature to summon with Summon Monster spell, you can't choose a specific creature nor one with specific class levels. So you would be able to choose to summon a 6th level divine minion, you would not be able to choose to summon yourself nor would you be able to choose to summon a divine minion with specific class levels.

A shadow Planar Ally would probably work however since you would presumably be replacing the diety deciding what is summoned.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 09:17:06 PM by Bastian »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #347 on: September 23, 2011, 12:40:26 AM »
Quote from: DMG pg. 144:
Kusari-gama:  This small sickle is attached to a length of chain.  A Kusari-gama is an exotic weapon that has reach.  It can strike opponents 10 feet away.  In addition, unlike other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe.  It can be used in all respects like a Spiked Chain (see page 115 of the Player's Handbook) for trip attacks, disarming other foes, and using its wielder's Dexterity modifier instead of her Strength modifier in attack rolls.

So, this can mean a few things, but right now, my eye is on the fact it apparently works with Shadow Blade.  TWF with reach is now SAD.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:41:35 AM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: September 23, 2011, 01:51:09 AM »
Quote from: DMG pg. 144:
Kusari-gama:  This small sickle is attached to a length of chain.  A Kusari-gama is an exotic weapon that has reach.  It can strike opponents 10 feet away.  In addition, unlike other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe.  It can be used in all respects like a Spiked Chain (see page 115 of the Player's Handbook for trip attacks, disarming other foes, and using its wielder's Dexterity modifier instead of her Strength modifier in attack rolls.

So, this can mean a few things, but right now, my eye is on the fact it apparently works with Shadow Blade.  TWF with reach is now SAD.

Bit of a stretch IMO; but awesome enough I would allow it (and ask for it to be allowed)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #349 on: September 23, 2011, 02:48:56 AM »
Bit of a stretch IMO; but awesome enough I would allow it (and ask for it to be allowed)
It is a stretch, and by stretch I mean no it's not like that at all. Beginning sentence is the intro and has time after time been proven to mean little*. The mechanical rules follow afterwards which state the exact effects. Aside from that, just read it. The statement isn't saying that a Kusari-gama is a Spiked Chain (which is all Shadow Blade cares about) but it can be used like a Spiked Chain. Like a knife can be used as a screwdriver or rice can be used like spaghetti noodles.

*See Powerful Build, Precarious Apprentice, Righteous Might, Lich Transformation, etc.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:52:24 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #350 on: September 23, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
Being used as a spiked chain is vague and really can be interpreted in many ways.  The fact it says "in all respects" instead of "in the following ways" makes it far more open.

At least I'm not arguing it gains all the benefits of being a two-handed weapon, which from a strict reading, it can be.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

spacemonkey555

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #351 on: September 23, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »
Saw some of the neat finds regarding the Villain Design Handbook and found one of my own:

KoK:VDH page 76, "Spell Swap [Metamagic Feat]": this feat lets a wizard, for an easily beaten spellcraft DC, spontaneously cast at-will. Further, though RAI is clear enough (i.e. clear enough that it can, in fact, be considered intended), the RAW leaves open a few critical issues: must the spell swapped in be from your spell list? must you know the spell to be swapped in? The text explicitly states it must be of the same level. It says nothing of spell source (arcane or divine), of spell list, of class, of being known. If you squint a little bit, wizards can now cast any spell of any level to which they have access (and have prepared spells).

To anticipate people citing the parenthetical remark about clerics, "much like clerics" is not grounds for claiming RAW as simile is not a useful logical determinant, nor should the parenthetical remark be considered at all as an assertion of rules since such remarks are semantically unnecessary, used for clarification, not for crucial elements, which rules certainly are in a game, as games are rules-based.

Interesting feat, but an equally valid interpretation is that you can trade out a spell of equal level to get another copy of one you already have prepared, which would be a potentially useful feat and actually might see play outside of a TO game.

You aren't swapping in, youre trading in. When you trade in your car for a new one, do you leave with the car you traded in? I can see both interpretations, esp considering the "spontaneous" bit, but one is utterly broken and one is just decent.