Author Topic: Fun Finds 2: (aka Tidbits Repository)  (Read 77675 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Fun Finds 2: (aka Tidbits Repository)
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2011, 04:07:27 AM »
The moral of the story: if you have to go Vampire, take the class, not the template.
Same as with savage ghost adding str to ability damage on Draining Touch.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2011, 04:53:26 AM »
I found a bunch of scary monsters

Dvati is far worse ;)
I'd have to :) hear the broken tricks on it, because as far as I can tell, a familiar is more powerful.

Unarmed Swordsage Dvati is twice the character.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2011, 09:09:50 AM »
We all know about Baatorian Greensteel (FC2), right? Well, there's a cheaper version in Secrets of Xen'Drik called Blood Glass. Half the price, same effect, and isn't listed as an Enhancement bonus so there's no doubt that it stacks. The Shatter weakness isn't that bad, since it always gets a saving throw.

There's some more goodies in SoX too, like these:
  • Behemoth Belt: An embedded component that casts Enlarge Person (except it affects Living Constructs only) once per day, with a duration of 5 minutes. Costs 4K.
  • Elder Giant Magic: You can extend the casting time of spells to increase their caster level by up to 3. Good for people who want to boost their CL into obscenity, and aren't constrained for time. I'm sure we can find a use for this.
  • Timeless Fountain: I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating here. The basic effect is that anyone who drinks the waters from this fountain ages slowly for one year (you effectively only age one day during that year). Bottle up a few gallons and keep it fresh, then live to be ridiculously old. This isn't the good part. If you are able to cast 5th level Arcane spells, you can meditate in the fountain to gain Time Stop as an SLA (only works once each time you do this). The best part? The price tag is only 5,000gp. Mark this place down on your map and teleport there every year to recharge it.

Well, looking through it made me want to look through Secrets of Sarlona. Here's some minor niceties I found:
  • Arcane Maul: A 3rd level Evocation spell that either creates a magic weapon (a +4 Warhammer), or can create a 50ft-long line that has a 20ft radius attached to the end of it. Anything in that line or radius take 1d6/2 CLs (max 10) and are Stunned for one round (save halves the damage and negates the stun). The thing is, it can overlap with itself, subjecting them to it's effect twice in one casting. Not bad for a 3rd level spell. Oh, and it's force damage.
  • Mass Dream Lock: Choose any number of creatures in a 30ft radius, out to Close range. Every single target must make a Will save or be Dazed for 1 round. Those who failed the save are also subjected to hallucinations. Said hallucinations grants all opponents of that creature concealment. But wait, there's more: If you are in a Dream-touched trance (explained earlier in the book), you can also subject anyone who failed the save to a Suggestion spell (with a different suggestion for each person). They don't get a save against that Suggestion effect. This is a 4th level spell with a duration of 1 minute per level. The drawback? Mind-Affecting, but we've got ways around that (such as adapting the Nightmare Spinner to Enchantment).
  • Stored Lightning Bolt: This spell is 1/3 better than Delayed Blast Fireball for Time Stop purposes. Still a DD spell, but it's got a really cool effect that earns style points in my book.
  • Energy Trap: A rather weak DD power for a manifester, but the secondary effects tied to each version of it are rather interesting since they last 1 round/level.
  • Amulet of Peace: You guys know that Setting Sun counter that lets you use Sense Motive instead of AC? This is that effect in magic item form, except for Diplomacy, and it applies against Full Attacks! For 5000gp! Twice per day!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2011, 10:04:42 AM »
Dvati is far worse ;)
I'd have to :) hear the broken tricks on it, because as far as I can tell, a familiar is more powerful.

Unarmed Swordsage Dvati is twice the character.
Crusader dvati wouldn't run out of maneuvers.

The typical use is Fiend of Possession. A pair of rogue flanking buddies could be decent.

Also: have one dvati die and return as a ghost. He gets ghostly copies of the equipment he had in life. So yeah.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:56:56 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2011, 01:48:23 PM »
We all know about Baatorian Greensteel (FC2), right? Well, there's a cheaper version in Secrets of Xen'Drik called Blood Glass. Half the price, same effect, and isn't listed as an Enhancement bonus so there's no doubt that it stacks. The Shatter weakness isn't that bad, since it always gets a saving throw.
There are a few (minor) advantages of having an enhancement bonus over an untyped bonus (er, before you spend 2000g on a real one, anyways). Unenchanted (or suppressed/AMF'ed) Greensteel will still be able to bypass DR/magic, affect incorporeal creatures, and have +10 hp and +2 hardness. You can also get a nonmagical enhancement bonus on slashing (and I think piercing as well) weapons made of blue ice (Frostburn). That Blood Glass is a nice cheap boost, though, if is indeed untyped and stacking.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2011, 02:23:32 PM »
Crusader dvati wouldn't run out of maneuvers.

The typical use is Fiend of Possession. A pair of rogue flanking buddies could be decent.

Also: have one dvati die and return as a ghost. He gets ghostly copies of the equipment he had in life. So yeah.
No biggy on the maneuvers, and owuldn't it just be easier to Mind Wipe someone into being your cohort? I mean, it's official material and isn't limited to just one guy giving you everything he can. The unseelie Fey would even help with that save negates problem :p
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2011, 07:56:24 PM »
There are a few (minor) advantages of having an enhancement bonus over an untyped bonus (er, before you spend 2000g on a real one, anyways). Unenchanted (or suppressed/AMF'ed) Greensteel will still be able to bypass DR/magic, affect incorporeal creatures, and have +10 hp and +2 hardness. You can also get a nonmagical enhancement bonus on slashing (and I think piercing as well) weapons made of blue ice (Frostburn). That Blood Glass is a nice cheap boost, though, if is indeed untyped and stacking.

Huh, I could have sworn all those goodies were just for being magic? The +1 enhancement bonus is just to attack and damage, I thought, on these mundane things.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2011, 08:34:49 PM »

DR/Magic is an Su ability, so it doesn't function in an Antimagic Field anyway (see the 3.5 FAQ).

JaronK

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
Greensteel is the suxxors. Dragonmetal (DL) gives an inherent +2 enhancement bonus to attack and damage and is noted to work in antimagic. IT gets kinda fun if you try to sub out a value bonus for a named...
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
Greensteel is the suxxors. Dragonmetal (DL) gives an inherent +2 enhancement bonus to attack and damage and is noted to work in antimagic. IT gets kinda fun if you try to sub out a value bonus for a named...

Dragonlance is 3rd party though, so Greensteel and Blood Glass beat it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2011, 11:34:12 PM »
Spell Haven: From Dragonmarked, it requires a Dragonmark of any grade (Aberrant or True), but it's a lower-level Contingency. Even better, it doesn't override existing Contingencies. The downside is the spells you can use with it are limited by your Dragonmark's grade, to a maximum of 5th level for a Greater dragonmark. Oh, and it's open to Clerics and Bards, not just Sor/Wiz. I'll post the spell itself if asked, since it's a tad useful.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2011, 11:44:48 PM »

Huh, I could have sworn all those goodies were just for being magic? The +1 enhancement bonus is just to attack and damage, I thought, on these mundane things.

You're right, my mistake. I just checked, and DR/magic specifies a +1 magical enhancement bonus, incoporeal specifies magic weapon (not +1 enhancement bonus like I thought), and even the bonus to hardness and hp is under the category of Magic Armor, Shields, and Weapons. I could have sworn I saw something saying that any weapon with a +1 enhancement bonus on damage rolls was considered a magic weapon, but I'm starting to think that was only in the FAQ.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2011, 11:49:58 PM »
Goddamn all that crack. It ruins everything.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2011, 12:29:47 AM »

Is that what you think? (click details there Sin)
[/spoiler]

Frost Wolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »
So can we just post anything neat we find, from any source?

Quintessential Sorcerer has a 2nd level necro spell called Death Blossoms. The target is limited to either a move or standard action or else takes damage (1d4). Not too great,  but if the target dies, you get 1d4 fruits that each heal 1d4. Handy little thing to have if you got undead party members. A chicken only costs 1 cp and I haven't seen too many other ways to get healing on a wiz/sorc with such a minimal investment.

Encyclopedia Arcane: Necromancy has a cantrip that'll turn an animal of tiny size into either a skeleton or zombie under your control (but only 1 at a time).

Also, Quintessential Druid II has a SNA cantrip (Gets things like toads and mice).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:10:22 AM by Frost Wolf »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »
So can we just post anything neat we find, from any source?

Quintessential Sorcerer has a 2nd level necro spell called Death Blossoms. The target is limited to either a move or standard action or else takes damage (1d4). Not too great,  but if the target dies, you get 1d4 fruits that each heal 1d4. Handy little thing to have if you got undead party members. A chicken only costs 1 cp and I haven't seen too many other ways to get healing on a wiz/sorc with such a minimal investment.

Encyclopedia Arcane: Necromancy has a cantrip that'll turn an animal of tiny size into either a skeleton or zombie under your control (but only 1 at a time).

Also, Quintessential Druid II has a SNA cantrip (Gets things like toads and mice).

We try to shy away from 3rd party sources, as they tend to not be allowed by DMs.

Is that what you think? (click details there Sin)

Wasn't that because someone got sued?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2011, 03:29:15 PM »
why'd they get sued? (out of the loop)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2011, 04:19:54 PM »
why'd they get sued? (out of the loop)

It seems I was mistaken about that. They were just bought out, and then re-licensed to another publisher (with WotC owning the setting).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2011, 04:39:01 PM »
But doesn't the Factotum ability give the bonus to checks? That would mean you would not get the extra spells and whatnot, since they are not checks at all.
The point is to gain Str + Int to any skill, not to manifesting.

Skill Finesse is a psionic feat that requires manifesting (thus the one or more levels in psion).
Can you post the description as a quote? Your previous post still confuses me. For me it says you substitute your manifesting attribute to another attribute that is the one related to a skill of your choosing. In that case Factotum will not help at all.
You aren't getting what I'm trying to say. You don't gain any additional bonuses to manifesting from factotum. You can use this trick to change your Int-based manifesting to Str, use a feat to apply that Str bonus to whatever skill you like (no matter what that skill is), then use Brains over Brawn to apply Int to it as well. Here's the text for the three abilities:

Quote from: Hyperconscious
Skill Finesse [Psionic]
You are especially adept at using a certain skill that can benefit from your key ability score.
Prerequisite: Key ability score 13+
Benefit: Choose one skill.With it, you can use your key ability score modifier instead of the ability modifier normally applicable for the skill. You gain no benefit in choosing a skill that is already modified by your key ability score.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a new skill.

Quote from: Races of Destiny
Aeshkrau: The illumian can use her Strength score to determine the bonus spells she gains for a high ability score, instead of the normal ability score used by her class to determine this feature. If she has more than one spellcasting class, she may use her Strength score in place of any or all of the ability scores used by those classes for this purpose.

Quote from: Dungeonscape
Brains over Brawn (Ex): At 3rd level, you gain your Intelligence bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and skill checks involving skills based on Strength or Dexterity, such as Hide, Climb, and Jump.

So apply Str to manifesting, use your manifesting modifier in place of whatever ability score on the skill, then add Int as a nice effect on top. Especially good when you're boosting a single skill really high (*especially* when you can boost Str and Int through the stratosphere with, say, PAO).

It's using your manifesting score for a skill, not a skill for a manifesting score.

If the DM rules you can't do this because powers =/= spells, grab the Magic mantle.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:40:43 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »
But I think Aeshkrau only changes which ability score you use for a single purpose (assuming you have an adaptation from your DM to allow you to use it for manifesting). It doesn't actually change which is your key ability score, so it doesn't change which ability score the feat lets you add.