Author Topic: Organisation  (Read 4665 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Organisation
« on: May 10, 2011, 06:02:14 PM »
So, what books to tackle?

I figure there can be another sub-board within this one with a thread for each book, a post for each chapter. When there's more progress that is.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Organisation
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »
I think it's better to have a master index thread and a thread for each book's combined errata when it's stable. A locked thread maybe.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
Perhaps we can have a thread that's just for painfully obvious intent notes?  Just the really easy stuff that people can jot down, like Monks getting proficiency in unarmed strikes, Dread Necromancers having one of their duplicate spells known removed, a duration being put on the Dread Necromancer fear aura, etc.

Another thing that might be nice is a thread for word definitions.  Some stuff just isn't defined, but gets used in specific ways, and that should be codified.  For example the behavior of Rebuke Undead for control in conjunction with variable turn resistance.  Or the exact definition of "encounter."

JaronK
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:00:03 PM by JaronK »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:01:35 PM »
Or the exact definition of "encounter."
In at least one place it's defined as "1 minute".
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:09:15 AM »
I think it's better to have a master index thread and a thread for each book's combined errata when it's stable. A locked thread maybe.
I like this idea.  A stickied thread with a list would be good, so you can find what you need at the top of the board with as few as two or three clicks.  I don't care if each "Official" thread gets sticked, but a list to the stickied ones would be nice.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:57:31 PM »
I already mentioned this back at the Min/Max It! board, but I am thinking of linking these threads to the Handy Links there. Thoughts?

Handy Links

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:51:41 AM »
Makes sense to me.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:52:12 AM »
As I said, it might make more sense to wait until there are finished errata and link to those.

Not being pushy, just making sure it wasn't missed. :p
My work

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »
As I said, it might make more sense to wait until there are finished errata and link to those.

I heard about it. Then I forgot. Who are you again?
:D
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »

Aye, I have put no links yet anyway. We'll see when more content flows in and we get something of a consensus regarding the errata.

Handy Links

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 12:41:29 AM »
Edit: crap....posted here before looking at the first thread, Prime, you stole my thunder!!  :shakefist
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 12:35:27 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa. I know its been a month, but I rarely am over here. I've been asking for how long to have a boards resource child board for min/max it?

I'll even mod the thing. And keep it up. And everything. Granted I'm a little behind on redoing bunko's (its gonna be BIG) and the class and tier thread but I never go a week without keeping abreast of the issues. I stopped the list after the silence from prime and the other mods became deafening. Amechra is a valuable asset, be he can't keep everything useful bumped. The handy links are too indirect to allow upkeep and the search function is too slow for whatever isn't there. Excuse the hijacking but I had been compiling the info or compendiums threads that aren't really handbooks (handbooks discuss options for character building).

On topic: I hope this will be useful errata, not random house rules. Things that we all agree on, like swordsage skill points but not incantrix nerfs. Yes the latter needs it but iirc there isn't a clear cut and obvious overstepping of bounds. If we want to expand into that second frontier it needs to be via polls and recognition if anyone has an eloquent solution.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 04:36:37 AM »
I know you guys have been working hard on tome of battle for a while so feel free to outright ignore me if you're feeling like "crossing that bridge when you get there."  

Just a gut reaction: Do psicrystals gain feats and how does a psion replace one when it dies?

I'm not really asking RAW but what you think the Errata project would come up with.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 01:24:18 AM »
Made some new threads to help keep this thing organized.

Also, stickied a few threads and split the errata for the Bo9S off from the main thread to make it easier to find.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
I know you guys have been working hard on tome of battle for a while so feel free to outright ignore me if you're feeling like "crossing that bridge when you get there."  

Just a gut reaction: Do psicrystals gain feats and how does a psion replace one when it dies?

I'm not really asking RAW but what you think the Errata project would come up with.
So do you want to do the XPH or Complete Psionic first? :p

On that note:
Quote from: 'Psionics Unleashed', Dreamscarred Press
Damage Reduction and Powers

Just like spells, psionic powers and psi-like abilities are not subject to damage reduction.

However, official rulings have been made that spells that deal a type of physical damage (bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing) are subject to damage reduction for the damage dealt of a physical type.

It is important for game balance reasons that in either situation, that the rule be applied uniformly: either spells and powers that deal damage of a physical type are affected by damage reduction, or spells and powers that deal damage of a physical type are not affected by damage reduction. It should not be applied to one and not the other.

Powers affected by this ruling include crystal shard, hail of crystals, and swarm of crystals.

Spells affected by this ruling include ice storm and storm of vengeance.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:47:30 AM by Prime32 »
My work

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 02:13:39 PM »
With regards to the next project, I feel that either Complete Psionics or Dungeonscape needs it first.

We'd pretty much be rewriting half of the entire book if we errata'ed CP.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »
Would it be a problem if someone (probably me) made a stripped down list of the "errata" we've decided on here, containing only the clarifications and revisions that don't change the rules as currently written except to remove existing ambiguity or where the RAW is contradictory or otherwise doesn't actually work (like with Firesnake)? Basically, only the things that would be expected in official errata and as little as possible that would be viewed as house rules.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 02:40:52 PM »
Would it be a problem if someone (probably me) made a stripped down list of the "errata" we've decided on here, containing only the clarifications and revisions that don't change the rules as currently written except to remove existing ambiguity or where the RAW is contradictory or otherwise doesn't actually work (like with Firesnake)? Basically, only the things that would be expected in official errata and as little as possible that would be viewed as house rules.

I wouldn't object to it. I've been trying to keep that much to a minimum (it's just really easy to get carried away with this).

[spoiler][/spoiler]