Author Topic: any ideas on how to turn into a Hagunemnon?  (Read 6801 times)

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: any ideas on how to turn into a Hagunemnon?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 11:10:55 PM »
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20040109a

Gravewyrm is the second on the list.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 11:34:03 PM »
Oooh. Nice :)

turok124

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 11:46:07 PM »
this fellow:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/hagunemnon.htm

my friend and i really only want it because we think it's the only way to get access to the Gravewyrm form (i REALLY want that breath weapon...):

we thought we got close as soon as Lycanthromancer revealed the Phasm trick.  We get the protean's form, but we don't get the (ex) alternate form ability.

help?
Come on, there are BETTER things to get from Hagunemnon form. Plus that Breath weapon (like all, I think) is a Su ability.

the idea was to use another Assume Supernatural Ability feat to get the breath weapon.

the phasm's alternate form description does let us turn into the hagunemnon, but it does NOT let us use it's (ex) ability...hence so close yet so far.

the breath weapon is particularly appealing due to potential metabreath augmentation.  I suppose i could just focus more on Enervating Breath, but i didn't know if there were any tricks out there i should know about before abandoning the idea.

turok124

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 11:46:44 PM »
oh and many thanks for the input thus far :)

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 12:15:37 AM »
from the OP

Gravewyrm
[spoiler]Huge Dragon
Hit Dice: 60d12+1020 (1,410 hp)
Initiative: +28
Speed: 90 ft. (18 squares), fly 150 (30 squares) (perfect)
Armor Class: 58 (-2 size, +20 Dex, +20 natural, +10 insight), touch 38, flat-footed 38
Base Attack/Grapple: +60/+84
Attack: Bite +74 melee (2d8+16)
Full Attack: Bite +74 melee (2d8+16) and 4 claws +72 melee (2d6+8) and 2 wings +72 melee (1d8+8) and 3 tails +72 melee (2d6+8)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, command undead, death knell aura, energy drain, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., damage reduction 25/epic and good and silver, darkvision 60 ft., immunities (death effects, paralysis, sleep), low-light vision, negative energy affinity, resistance to acid 30, cold 30, electricity 30, spell resistance 56
Saves: Fort +49, Ref +52, Will +46
Abilities: Str 42, Dex 50, Con 44, Int 33, Wis 38, Cha 56
Skills: Balance +26, Bluff +86, Concentration +80, Decipher Script +74, Diplomacy +98, Gather Information +29, Hide +12, Intimidate +92, Jump +22, Knowledge (arcana) +74, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) +74, Knowledge (history) +74, Knowledge (local) +74, Knowledge (religion) +74, Knowledge (the planes) +74, Listen +77, Sense Motive +77, Spellcraft +80, Spot +77, Tumble +83, Use Magic Device +86
Feats: Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dire Charge, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Improved Whirlwind Attack, Mobility, Multiattack, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (inflict critical wounds), Quicken Spell-Like Ability (heal), Spellcasting Harrier, Spring Attack, Superior Initiative, Undead Mastery, Whirlwind Attack, Zone of Animation
Environment: Any battlefield or graveyard
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 45
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 61-80 HD (Huge), 81-130 HD (Gargantuan), 131-180 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: --

This pallid creature looks like a long, skeletally thin dragon. Its head has large, lidless, solid white orbs for eyes, and numerous bones that look almost like ribs protrude along its head and shoulders. The creature's mouth is more like a cruelly hooked beak, and it contains three long rows of bony ridges instead of teeth. A massive pair of wings with hundreds of tiny bone barbs along the edges fan from its back, and it balances on its legless body. Its body eventually splits into three separate tails, each of which is covered with numerous bony barbs like those on the wings. The cloying stink of open graves exudes from the creature, and lumps of soggy earth seem constantly to dribble from its body.

The gravewyrm is a truly fearsome foe that lurks in massive graveyards and battlefields found on the Outer Planes, particularly those found on the Lower Planes where the Blood War has raged for countless eons. This dragon feeds on the negative energy that animates undead creatures, and while one may suppose that its ravenous appetite for the undead might make it an ally of good, nothing could be further from the truth. The gravewyrm prefers freshly created undead, and it takes great delight in transforming living victims into undead so it can feast on their dead twitching bodies.

Yet gravewyrms are not driven solely by hunger. They are quite intelligent and have forceful, imposing personalities. Many gravewyrms establish massive empires on the sites of huge battlefields or planar necropolises, where they are served by their own armies of undead deemed too old for proper consumption. Many gravewyrms seek portals to the Material Plane and send their undead armies through to harvest the living; countless civilizations through the ages have been depopulated in a manner of weeks by these unholy attentions.

Gravewyrms prefer to speak Draconic, but they usually know a large number of additional languages as well.

Combat

Although gravewyrms are empire builders, they relish the act of combat since it is the best way to get to fresh undead created by its breath weapon. As a result, they are quick to enter a battle alongside their undead minions rather than direct the battle from afar. In combat, a gravewyrm opens with its breath weapon and then follows up with its physical attacks. A gravewyrm often deliberately surrounds itself with its foes so it can make full use of feats like Improved Whirlwind Attack. Its spell-like abilities are used against those few foes it has trouble dealing with in physical combat, and the abilities also help it prepare itself for battle.

Breath Weapon (Su): 90-ft. cone of negative energy, damage 3d6 negative levels; Reflex DC 57 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Command Undead (Su): A gravewyrm commands undead as a 60th-level cleric. It can use this ability at will.

Death Knell Aura(Su): Any living creature reduced to negative hit points within a 30-foot-radius of a gravewyrm must make a Fortitude save (DC 57) or immediately suffer the effects of a death knell as if cast by the gravewyrm at caster level 60. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Energy Drain (Su): Living creatures hit by a gravewyrm's melee attacks gain four negative levels. The DC is 63 for the Fortitude save to remove a negative level. The save DC is Charisma-based. For each such negative level bestowed, the gravewyrm gains 5 temporary hit points.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will -- detect undead, displacement, greater teleport, haste, inflict critical wounds (DC 27). 3/day -- destruction (DC 30), heal, harm (DC 29), wail of the banshee (DC 32). 1/day -- demise unseen (DC 33). Caster level 60th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Negative Energy Affinity (Ex): Negative energy damage heals a gravewyrm as if it were an undead creature.[/spoiler]

ninja'd
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 12:33:27 AM »
3d6 negative levels is nice but essentially worthless by the time you have a caster level of 44.

Most enemies by that point should be immune to death effects and negative levels anyway and if they aren't you can likley just use a save or die on them instead.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 12:54:48 AM »
Maw of Chaos with Energy Admixture? :P

There are other things I'd rather turn into besides the "ultimate" shapechanger

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 01:03:26 AM »
3d6 negative levels is nice but essentially worthless by the time you have a caster level of 44.

Most enemies by that point should be immune to death effects and negative levels anyway and if they aren't you can likley just use a save or die on them instead.

unlike at level 8 like alt suggested

ftfy

Anim-manga sux.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 07:54:08 AM »

unlike at level 8 like alt suggested

ftfy

Can the DD have a lesser dragon as his ancestor? It's probably not defined... Interestingly enough, at level 10 you then become immune to negative energy OR energy drain, depending on how you interpret this.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »
Dragon Variety1   Breath Weapon
Other varieties of dragon disciple are possible, using other dragon varieties as ancestors.

afaik thats all it says about it.

Anim-manga sux.

turok124

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »

well, i was particularly aiming for a pre-epic method, so caster level was not something i had in mind.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »
You can hit that caster level pre epic, problem is turning into one of those dragons takes a high level spell and so much optimisation that doing something else is probably a better idea.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »
People, people, people. All you need to do is find a YOUNG one, and I can tell you a way to grab all of its abilities... at ML 5.

First, you need 4 feats... I'm sure you can figure out a way to get 4 Metamorphic Transfers at ML 5th.

Now, have your good friend a 3rd party wizard cast Polymorph any Object on you. Twice. Into a... MINDSTEALER DRONE!

You are now one permanently. I suggest finding another drone, and Draining it of its abilities, so that you have full use for a month...

Now, work your way up. Every time you beat someone, you can steal their powers. And you can still level. :smirk

I suggest picking up Knowledge Affiliation somewhere, to remove immunities from Mr. Dragon.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing