Author Topic: Trying to pick a were breed  (Read 17692 times)

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
Trying to pick a were breed
« on: May 09, 2011, 02:33:44 AM »

Ok in on of my games my DM want all the players to be a were race for a gestate campaign for a level 10 character ?
Example class// race/class well i am thinking Human Psion // Lycanthrope template / war blade any idea or reconditions on what animal ?

also with most Lycanthrope characters get a str bust would it be a good idea to use some exp to get some pis warrior powers to boost the claws for when things hit the fan time ?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 02:42:44 AM by Stormcrow »

Baconomicon

• Monkey bussiness
Re: Trying to pick a were breed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 02:42:24 AM »
Werehound (dog as base animal).  Alternatively, werejackal.  According to Sandstorm, they use the same stats as dogs.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 02:45:33 AM »
By far, the best "brute" animals are one that have immediate size increases through racial advancement. For grappling, the sewerm (Serpent Kingdoms) is by far the best, for 5 HD you get about 30 Str and a +16 racial bonus on grapple checks. Which from what I have seen, almost unheard of!

As for defense, cave ankylosaurus (Miniatures Handbook) gives a whopping +16 natural armor.

For dexterity options, not much beyond standard stuff.

But the biggest thing to push for, is adding template(s) to the base animal, Paragon being BY FAR the best! But if your DM seems a little shaky about templates added, don't do any super powerful ones.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 03:56:26 AM »
Isn't there a were-murder of crows  /  flock of doves somewhere?
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:57:04 AM »
Don't forget Feral to turn those lousy Animal HD into useful Monstrous Humanoid HD.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »
The LA + racial HD really hurt.

Here's a link to an alternate template of mine: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9175
Here's a link to the Lycanthropy Handbook: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4398

Isn't there a were-murder of crows  /  flock of doves somewhere?
And it's pretty neat. Murder of crows is in Tome of Magic, with doves as a slightly-better variation.

Thing is, the former is Tiny and the latter is Diminutive, so the latter is tricky unless you're a jermlaine or maybe a hengeyokai.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:13:16 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »
For a small sneaky character, a Whisper Gnome Were-Serval (Sandstorm) is great.

Or consider a Dire Badger advanced to 4 HD to make it large.  +12 STR & CON become +16 when you enter the badger's natural state of rage (but you have to be in animal form for that).

Also, hard to go wrong with a Were-Fleshraker.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 03:25:56 PM »
desmodu hunting bat gives you +14 Dex for only 4 HD

by far, thats the best for the HD as Dexterity goes.

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 04:44:18 PM »
thanks Prime i think i will try to talk my DM in to the template you cam up with with any luck it will be useful

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »
Dire puma 6hd
Str +10, Dex +6, Con +8; 4 NA; Alertness, Track, Wpn Fcs (bite); Improved grab, pounce, rake

Dire wolf same HD
Str +14, Dex +4, Con +6; 3 NA; Track (b), Alertness, Run, Wpn Focus (bite); Trip

Dire Wolverine (5 HD); Str +12, Dex +6, Con +8; 4 NA; Track (b), Alertness, Toughness; Rage

they look prity close in the stats to each otther

but i can take a extra level in warblade with the wolverine and close combat being a seconday the rage would be useful with a few pis warrior power reserched.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:57:22 PM by Stormcrow »

Baconomicon

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
I still say dog is the best bang for your buck.  You only have to take 1 racial hit die, and get +2 str, +6 dex, +4 con, +1 NA, alertness, and track.  The lack of racial hit die will give you room for either more class levels or more templates. 

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 11:28:37 PM »
4HD Dire Badger is better than Dire Wolverine.  Better stats, same rage, 1 HD less.  Oh, and a burrow speed in animal form.  Never underestimate the power of a burrow speed.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 12:50:07 AM »
i suggest wereswan.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 01:21:34 AM »
Were-beaver or were-platypus are sooo much better than a crappy swan  ;)

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »
Wereswan would be pretty awesome.
[Spoiler][/Spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 04:11:05 PM »
Go dragonborn (wings) and go swarm of weasels.

Flying draconic weasel swarm FTW!
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 05:27:39 PM »
I still say dog is the best bang for your buck.  You only have to take 1 racial hit die, and get +2 str, +6 dex, +4 con, +1 NA, alertness, and track.  The lack of racial hit die will give you room for either more class levels or more templates. 
Remember also that having only a single racial HD means you get to ignore it.
In the same vein, I like baboon. +4 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, the usual Low-Light Vision and scent, 40 ft. land speed, 30 ft. climb speed, +1 NA. Also an excuse for Dat Ass jokes.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 05:49:05 PM »

?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 05:50:04 PM »
In the same vein, I like baboon. +4 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, the usual Low-Light Vision and scent, 40 ft. land speed, 30 ft. climb speed, +1 NA. Also an excuse for Dat Ass jokes.
Nah, if you want DAT ASS use quasi-lycanthrope (baboon) quasi-lycanthrope (cow).
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]