Author Topic: Optimizing a Warlock Healer (or: How to heal people by blasting in their faces)  (Read 10448 times)

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
psionic shot and greater psionic shot will not work as they are explicitly called out as damage (type: psionic) much in the same way that some sources of damage are pure arcane energy or diving energy, the psionic 'x' feats all deal out pure psionic damage.
Where did you find that it's Psionic damage? It just says it adds damage to the Ranged Weapon attack so, since the damage is not specified, the damage should be of the same type of the attack (similar to how the enchantment bonuses on weapons or sneak attack dices deal the same kind of damage that the base attack does).
Anyway even if it's psionic damage it would still work, since the wording of Healing Blast states that it heals by the same amount that the Eldritch Blast would normally do as damage. Even if it's psionic, it's still damage.
The only issue I see is if the added damage is considered coming from another source instead of enhancing the base attack, but while it doesn't seems to be the case to me, I must admit it's debatable...

well, i was certain it was called out, but now that i am searching, i'm finding very little. i found this:

Mental Resistance [General]
Your mind is armored against mental intrusion.

Prerequisite
Base Will save bonus +2.

Benefit
Against psionic attacks that do not employ an energy type to deal damage you gain damage reduction 3/-. In addition, when you are hit with ability damage (but not ability drain or ability burn damage) from a psionic attack, you take 3 points less than you would normally take.

The benefit of this feat applies only to psionic powers and psi-like abilities. This is an exception to the psionics-magic transparency rule.

Special
You cannot take or use this feat if you have the ability to use powers (if you have a power point reserve or psi-like abilities).

the bold text implies that the damage is either type-less, or at least not standard energy. and eldritch blast does eldritch damage, or arcane damage, iirc. so if the psionic x feat is untyped damage, then it would presumably stack. though a tough dm might rule that since the eldritch blast has a type, the only things that increase that specific type of damage would work.

oh well, i'll keep poking around, if i find it, i'll let you know.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Eldritch Blast is untyped damage as is Psionic Fist/Weapon/Shot.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Eldritch_Lord

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
I'm using the interpretation that "no divine spellcasting ability" can be achieved by any means that disqualifies your ability to cast spells (too low of a caster level, too low ability scores, anti-magic field) to sneak a real Cleric level into the build for a second Rebuke Undead pool (and to provide the Fort save bonus Warlock is lacking for Ur Priests' requirements).

I used Wisdom damage because it's easy to get - just get massively drunk until your Wisdom falls below 10.

I'm now picturing a bunch of clerics of Pelor who wake up one morning with missing teeth, no memory of what happened the previous night, tattoos of a dead god's holy symbol on their arms, some permanent images of them in embarrassing positions floating between them, and massive hangovers.

Friends don't let friends convert while drunk.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Unfortunately Healing Blast is a feature that you can use instead of a essence invocation so that wouldn't work :\

Being evil would help a great deal, also for the Ur-Priest that coupled with Eldritch Disciple would net you an easy 9th level casting as cleric.
Just out of curiosity since I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to binders, how many vestiges can you get at once?

Hang on. This is unoptimal silliness, but could an Eldritch Theurge do it?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Zen archery is a pretty good feat for this too.