Author Topic: Class suggestions for a martial god?  (Read 5642 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Class suggestions for a martial god?
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
I don't expect it to last very long at all, but I've been surprised before.

I acutally looked at Occult Slayer earlier today and found it...incredibly underwhelming.  Most of what it grants is out-done by Warforged Juggernaut and/or divinity.

Legacy Champion I will consider.  Any suggestions for the Legacy weapon, then?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 05:42:15 PM »
I don't expect it to last very long at all, but I've been surprised before.

I acutally looked at Occult Slayer earlier today and found it...incredibly underwhelming.  Most of what it grants is out-done by Warforged Juggernaut and/or divinity.
Though I know fuckall about the rules for D&D divine creatures, I imagine most things are out-done by divinity.   :)

How about a crazy monster race or template to fill up the rest of those levels?  You've got a pretty good chasis w/ the fighter-type classes.  I still think Binder or Incarnum could be handy, but the sheer power of your opponents may make it kind of useless ... I don't know.  Maybe some of that sneaky stuff they get would add to the utility. 

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
Occult Slayer's spell reflection and double damage to disrupt spellcasters is nice.  The requirements are crazy easy to meet, so no real loss.  Maybe you could advance it with Legacy Champion?

Did you consider a bloodline?

If you take 10 levels of War Hulk pre-epic, then can you take 20 more levels?  +60 STR is pretty nice after all.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 06:57:57 PM »
War hulk is good in gestalt; otherwise, it's legacy champion to boost your BAB while granting you the Strength bonuses.

But really, using Polymorph is better to nab those bonus points in Strength.

Might I suggest egoist on one side for the buffing tastiness? Just say it's inherent spell-like abilities rather than psi, and you'll be fine.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »
If you take 10 levels of War Hulk pre-epic, then can you take 20 more levels?  +60 STR is pretty nice after all.
You can take it at epic levels even if you don't squeeze in 10 levels pre-epic. Your STR score would be lower, but nothing stops you from doing that.

Handy Links

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
This just in, the DM banned psonics.  No idea why.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 07:10:09 PM »
Yeah, I knew you could take it in Epic if you wanted, but +60 STR >>> +40 STR obviously.  Just depends what else you have in mind.

Though I doubt Polymorph can come close to matching the STR score you can acheive if you really wanted to.  18 +5 Manual +10 Level Increases +20 War Hulk = 53

Consider if you took more than just 10 levels of War Hulk.  Even Draconic Polymorph might have a hard time beating that.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 07:29:57 PM »
Wow, this is just crazy.

Since you are avoiding spellcasting I second Factotum.  Take at least 8 or 11 levels. 
Placeholder - T'tosc

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 11:36:43 PM »
Same, a lot of hype about it but it at best gives free action Mind Blank and +3 to saves. You have to add in Mageslayer to prevent spellcaster from casting defensivly then you still have to deal with 5ft steps, intimidate action teleportation, etc. So not worth it.

Paladin is likewise unusable (all variants require no neutral alignment components), unfortunately.  Right now I'm looking over Incarnate, Totemist, and Binder, though.  I figure something in there might be of intrest.

Other than Master of 9, are there any interesting PrC's that I should look at?  War Hulk and Hulking Hurler are tentative at best.
Crimson Scourge 8 gives immunity to nonlethal damage, combine with regeneration to become immune to most forms of damage.
Iaijitsu Master is another prime noncaster PrC. It gives charisma to initiative, at level five your iaijitsu strikes deal an extra charisma modifier per die in damage. A full 10 levels would even let you gain a free surprise round that expressly lets you make a single attack with a Kitana so long as you are in melee range.
And lastly. Warshaper. Helps to be Changling over Warforged but I'm sure it can be done some how, and probably in a way that gives Regeneration. Mindful the +5 feet of reach applies regardless of form you take meaning you can be Fine sized and not have to move onto another's square to attack. Would be hilarious to see something the size of a pen Dungeoncrashing Colossal creatures around (there is even a +25 divine ability you can take too).
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »
Yeah, I knew you could take it in Epic if you wanted, but +60 STR >>> +40 STR obviously.  Just depends what else you have in mind.

Though I doubt Polymorph can come close to matching the STR score you can acheive if you really wanted to.  18 +5 Manual +10 Level Increases +20 War Hulk = 53

Consider if you took more than just 10 levels of War Hulk.  Even Draconic Polymorph might have a hard time beating that.
Class abilities and magic items stack with Polymorph. If you gain +20 from your class, and have +5 via manuals, and +10 from level increases, then all of it stacks with buffs like Polymorph.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »
Can you provide a quote for that? That is the way I run things, but I could use a reference for my DMs...

Handy Links

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »
For Polymorph subschool spells, at least, this is not the case.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
Can you provide a quote for that? That is the way I run things, but I could use a reference for my DMs...
Bonuses from different sources stack?

The level-up bonuses and the +20 from war hulk are class abilities, which you explicitly keep. The effects of magic items that aren't subsumed into your body (because you can't wear them in that form) are also on the table for you to keep.

From Alter Self:
You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.

Also from Alter Self:

From those two quotes, you A.) keep any class-derived abilities (and since ability score adjustments due to level are from levels in classes), and B.) keep any magic items the new form can conceivably use. Since you don't even need a body to use tomes, you can keep 'em too.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 06:33:59 PM »
for Alter Self, anyway.  Not the case for Polymorph (the subschool states that you lose class features and the spell doesn't disagree)

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2011, 06:37:43 PM »
for Alter Self, anyway.  Not the case for Polymorph (the subschool states that you lose class features and the spell doesn't disagree)
Polymorph doesn't have the [polymorph] subschool.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »
Psychic Warriof r expansion?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »
Psychic Warriof r expansion?
No psionics allowed.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2011, 08:28:36 PM »
Level bumps to stats are not class features.  They are a feature of gaining HD.  It just so happens the preponderance of HD gained by PC's are class HD.  I've never played in any game where a DM let a polymorphed player keep physical stat bumps or increases from manuals / tomes.

Granted this is an ECL 40 Divine Rank game, so allowing that would be the least of the DM's worries probably.  But still... *shrug*

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2011, 08:36:53 PM »
The bonuses given by the War Hulk are class features though.

Handy Links

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 08:47:27 PM »
Yes, those would likely stick around.  Though some DM's won't let you qualify for that PrC in the first place unless you're large all the time.