Author Topic: PF's Psionics Ruleset Released  (Read 4885 times)

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
PF's Psionics Ruleset Released
« on: May 03, 2011, 12:52:23 AM »
The PF wiki has the Psionics Unleashed material from Dreamscarred Press now.

I'm just starting to pick through it to see what's changed and I think it would be interesting to get some more heads together on it.

Psionics Unleashed
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: PF's Psionics Ruleset Released
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »
I'm just starting to pick through it to see what's changed
Someone's ahead of you.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:55:44 PM »
Weren't the Dreamscarred guys involved in this ??

EDIT --- click one link, answer own question = Yes.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
Weren't the Dreamscarred guys involved in this ??

EDIT --- click one link, answer own question = Yes.
My revulsion is suddenly tinged with hope.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:40:50 PM »
At a glance, seems to merely have the same makeover style as PF

1. eliminate dead levels for non-full-casters
2. give some sort of higher level class features to consider over PrC features.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:00:20 PM »

Also makes some PrCs a lot more viable. And soulknives.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:05:02 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 12:16:04 AM »

They made soulknives playable, I never thought the day would come.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:25:52 AM »
The pyro's new heat death has me a little confused.

Full text of the ability here:[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Either the ability does 4d8 fire damage every round (DC 14+Cha Fort for half), which obviously sucks, or it does 4d8 on the first round, 8d8, the second, 12d8 the third, and so on, which doesn't suck as much but still kinda stinks.  Seeing as the pyro's fire bolt does 9d6 fire with a touch attack and no save at the same level he gains heat death, I'm having a very hard time seeing the justification for the ability.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 02:28:04 AM »

They made soulknives playable, I never thought the day would come.
Meh. Not that I dislike what they did with it. It just never struck me as hard to make a Soulknife class that was playable. I just never had the time or inclination to build it whole cloth. I've also only recently become more comfortable with home brew.

Ed-Zero

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 03:26:04 AM »
One thing that caught my attention is the shape gets a permanent astral construct at 20th. This doesn't really seem as strong as the wizard version. I think it'd be interesting to see which is better. A gut feeling tells me a colossal spider is going to win though.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 03:37:46 AM »
One thing that caught my attention is the shape gets a permanent astral construct at 20th. This doesn't really seem as strong as the wizard version. I think it'd be interesting to see which is better. A gut feeling tells me a colossal spider is going to win though.

Why would you want a Colossal Spider when you can have a permanent Charizard as a pet?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 04:07:28 AM »
hmmmm. i may have to download and review the pf srd after all.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 10:29:09 AM »
Huh. Slightly better Minor Creation at will. ... I think just maybe I could stand being in a pathfinder game that allowed these.  :lmao Considering Shaper was my favorite class in the first place.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »
Will the Psionic stuff even be in the PF SRD?
After all, it's not from Paizo, but from a 3rd party publisher.

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 11:36:43 AM »
Will the Psionic stuff even be in the PF SRD?
After all, it's not from Paizo, but from a 3rd party publisher.
It's in the PF SRD right now.  Dreamscarred Press (the third party in question) released it under the Open Gaming Content license.  See the link in the opening post for the link.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
Thanks, I only checked the official Paizo SRD instead of just clicking the link above :banghead
- I found out they gimped Metamorphosis(it lokks, like it will be easier to use and less abuseable, but certainly is less useful).
- I like their take on Psy War, Soulknife and my favorite psionic race(Half-Giant).

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »
I found out they gimped Metamorphosis(it lokks, like it will be easier to use and less abuseable, but certainly is less useful).
That's to match up with PF's polymorph rules. Note that they also introduced feats which auto-quicken it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:21:32 PM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »
The pyro's new heat death has me a little confused.

Full text of the ability here:[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Either the ability does 4d8 fire damage every round (DC 14+Cha Fort for half), which obviously sucks, or it does 4d8 on the first round, 8d8, the second, 12d8 the third, and so on, which doesn't suck as much but still kinda stinks.  Seeing as the pyro's fire bolt does 9d6 fire with a touch attack and no save at the same level he gains heat death, I'm having a very hard time seeing the justification for the ability.
Looks like you continue to boil as long as you failed the initial save, and each additional failed save just escalates the damage. Probably just overrated dice of damage as usual.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »
The way I read the Heat Death ability, it's just 4d8 every round. It doesn't say that the target takes 4d8 damage each round, and an additional 4d8 stacking each round they fail the save. It says it takes 4d8 immediately this round, then additionally takes 4d8 the next round and so on and so forth as long as the pyro maintains concentration. I think you're right, and that it is a fairly useless power when the fire bolt does more.

I believe their thinking is that as long as the target fails the initial fort save, it will just keep taking damage without having to worry about making subsequent attack rolls like you would with the fire bolt. Of course, they probably don't take into account the fact that fire bolt is a ranged touch attack, and the attack rolls probably won't matter much by that point. In short, they wanted to nerf a save-or-die, but forgot to make it worth using afterward. It is now a Save-or-Ouch-that-kind-of-stings.

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
I had a look at Animal Affinity and it does not seam to make sense.

Edit In my pdf copy of the book there is what looks like a big blank space when I selected the text in the area and copied and pasted it the text for animal affinity was revealed the text on the srd looks like for it is the end of the of the Assimilate power

Edit Edit while I am online they have been told of the error and corrected it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:44:29 PM by something random »
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.