Author Topic: Creating 'Legendary Fighter', competition, are there prizes?  (Read 74867 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Creating 'Legendary Fighter', competition, are there prizes?
« Reply #280 on: July 08, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
People have suggested that, actually...

It also makes sense for it to work that way so a Ghost wielding a ghost touch weapon can take it with him into solid objects.  It's pretty silly for an incorporeal creature to be leaving its equipment behind whenever it wants to see what's on the other side of a door (especially since most incorporeal creatures don't have the "ghostly versions of their equipment".  I think a Rules of the Game article even supports this.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #281 on: July 08, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »
That means that the Monk w/ a Ghost Touch unarmed strike enhancement can wrestle a Ghost while still punching an orc in the head, in the same round even.  Likewise a Fighter could do that w/ a Ghost Touch Sword, attack the Ghost w/ one attack and the orc w/ the other.  But no one has ever suggested that said Fighter could, for instance, shove the sword through a stone wall b/c he wants it to be incorporeal for the nonce
I don't know... as is most benificial to the wielder seems to conver it.
I've never seen it either, but I can't think of any legitimate reason why it doensn't work. Therefore as I'm not one of those punish people for ingeniuty things, I'm not gonna down play it because its the first time I've seen it.
The body is clearly all unarmed strike and thats, cute, yeah... and aparently very effective. Honestly, it offended my sensibilities at first when I though about how they were using it. . . but then I had to relent soon as I realized how mechanically valid it was.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #282 on: July 08, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »
I think you all think it's interesting, and therefore willing to let it fly, but it is a rather generous reading of the rules.  As indicated before, it reads the last sentence in such a way that completely overwhelms all the previous ones.  The benefit of Ghost Touch then isn't "you can hit ghosts w/ it and vice-versa" but, "holy crap!  slice through walls and hit people on the other side, and so on." 

When constructing rules or interpreting sentences, one generally does not take one out of context, w/ an "essentially" or similar modifier in front of it, and then use it in a way that is radically different from the previous statements. 

Oh, and surely the ghost can take his sword w/ him when he passes through the wall.  But, that kind of points out the limits of Ghost Touch as an ability.  What happens if someone (somehow ...) disarms him?  The sword isn't incorporeal, at least that wouldn't be my call, it would hit the ground.  The ghost can pick it up again, even though it's solid, since Ghost Touch weapons kind of count as both simultaneously.  That is how I read the ability, not as "it actually turns incorporeal or not at will."

However, I've said my piece on it, we've all at least read the same paragraphs, and god knows I'm not high lord D&D arbiter or anything.  So, carry on ...

I haven't even really looked at the build, yet, but I assume it does other cool things than this b/c otherwise it would seem to fall into the item-based build category.  I mean, anyone w/ an unarmed strike (or maybe a level of monk, depending on the wording) would have access to the same abilities. 

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #283 on: July 08, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »
Oh, and surely the ghost can take his sword w/ him when he passes through the wall.  But, that kind of points out the limits of Ghost Touch as an ability.  What happens if someone (somehow ...) disarms him?  The sword isn't incorporeal, at least that wouldn't be my call, it would hit the ground.  The ghost can pick it up again, even though it's solid, since Ghost Touch weapons kind of count as both simultaneously.  That is how I read the ability, not as "it actually turns incorporeal or not at will."

However, I've said my piece on it, we've all at least read the same paragraphs, and god knows I'm not high lord D&D arbiter or anything.  So, carry on ...

I haven't even really looked at the build, yet, but I assume it does other cool things than this b/c otherwise it would seem to fall into the item-based build category.  I mean, anyone w/ an unarmed strike (or maybe a level of monk, depending on the wording) would have access to the same abilities. 
If the item were corporeal, the Ghost (or Unbodied, as another possibility) wouldn't be able to take it with him into a wall.

If a typical Fighter decided to turn a Ghost Touch sword incorporeal and stick it through a wall, he'd have an issue as he could suddenly no longer move the weapon.

now, if a Ghost Touch weapon is simultaneously Corporeal and Incorporeal, that still lets the Ghost Touch Monk move completely silently and through solid objects, which is the main reason to get it.

The build mainly is focusing around getting the weapon qualities (and using them mercilessly), but if you really feel that's not fair, then swap some Monk levels to Kensai.  Bam, same effect, no item involved.  Even so, everything it does is (ab)using Monk class features to make a viable character.  Not Tier 1 material, but definitely viable.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:00:54 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #284 on: July 09, 2011, 12:28:30 AM »
You'd think that after at least half a decade of monk fanboyism, Giacomo would know how monks work. But then, considering his monk builds, this isn't surprising at all.
No kidding. Things like Throwing/Returning/Ghost Touch are severely wtf omg overpowered if allowed to with with Unarmed Strikes. Gia should be posting about how awesome it is every chance he gets...

now, if a Ghost Touch weapon is simultaneously Corporeal and Incorporeal, that still lets the Ghost Touch Monk move completely silently and through solid objects, which is the main reason to get it.
No it wouldn't. If it were both then the moment it hit a wall it would stop, because it's material part can't move though the wall (barring sunder/etc).

Also there is a second point to consider. Necklace of Natural Weapons applies to one weapon (per buyout). To break out the fine text, a Hydra could don the Monk's necklace and only one head would gain the benefit not all of them. And as it applies to one weapon, not armor, not wands, not clothing, not the necklace, at best the Necklace only works on a naked monk whom lacks any real natural weapons (such as a warforged's slam attack) and have made the necklace incorporeal somehow (which also means you need mage armor or something to keep it from floating off you while material).

At least when you start discussing naked Monks, the balance issue goes away. So there is that...
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #285 on: July 09, 2011, 12:45:56 AM »
Arms & Equipment Guide has info for making anything Ghost Touch.  Not that big a deal to use those rules.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #286 on: July 09, 2011, 01:06:03 AM »
Bet it gets expansive as hell to tack on Ghost Touch to all your worn magical gear though.
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #287 on: July 09, 2011, 01:52:43 AM »
Not really, only an extra 10%.  That would reduce the cash remaining of the level 20 build to 197,240 (Tome doesn't need to be Ghost Touch, since it was already read), so it's easily doable.

I also screwed up, those rules are in Savage Species, not A&EG.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:58:41 AM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #288 on: July 09, 2011, 02:19:22 AM »
Not really, only an extra 10%.  That would reduce the cash remaining of the level 20 build to 197,240 (Tome doesn't need to be Ghost Touch, since it was already read), so it's easily doable.

Ahh spiffy.

As a follow up, to the sword stopping at the wall. Would you claim a Ghost Touch weapon ignores armor bonuses (as all incorporeal attacks do)?
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #289 on: July 09, 2011, 02:34:28 AM »
Not really, only an extra 10%.  That would reduce the cash remaining of the level 20 build to 197,240 (Tome doesn't need to be Ghost Touch, since it was already read), so it's easily doable.

Ahh spiffy.

As a follow up, to the sword stopping at the wall. Would you claim a Ghost Touch weapon ignores armor bonuses (as all incorporeal attacks do)?
If wielded by an incorporeal creature, yes.  If wielded by a corporeal creature, no (since if the weapon became incorporeal, they could no longer move it).

However, since the Monk himself is both weapon and wielder, he can be whichever he chooses.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:36:11 AM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #290 on: July 09, 2011, 02:41:00 AM »

Ahh spiffy.

If wielded by an incorporeal creature, yes.  If wielded by a corporeal creature, no (since if the weapon became incorporeal, they could no longer move it).

However, since the Monk himself is both weapon and wielder, he can be whichever he chooses.
Quote from: FAQ, page 68
Official word is that last sentence is only talking about carrying it.

Edit - you know that set up didn't work as well as I thought it would...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:50:01 AM by SorO_Lost »
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2011, 02:49:58 AM »
"FAQ" is anything BUT official.  Looking to them for rules is worse than making them up yourself; you're at least likely to be consistant among your made-up rules (something FAQ is widely known for not being.  Sevral tests have posed the same question multiple times to FAQ and gotten contradicting responses each time.  Then there are the numerous "rulings" that blatantly contradict the printed rules...)

Even if you consider it to be rules, however, the Monk doesn't lose much by having to make normal attacks instead of touch attacks.  The goal is to hit, not really deal damage (just need 10 after DR is taken into account for the job to be done), and he has an average attack bonus of +34, more than enough to hit monsters regularly.  Adjusting size will vary his accuracy, but it's a balancing act of being the right size to hit regularly and also still being big enough to trip his target .  If tripping isn't that big of a deal, then he drops as small as he feels comfortable with and lays out the Suppression to take off buffs.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:00:40 AM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2011, 03:20:13 AM »
"FAQ" is anything BUT official.  Looking to them for rules is worse than making them up yourself; you're at least likely to be consistant (something FAQ is widely known for not being)

Even if you consider it to be rules, however, the Monk doesn't lose much by having to make normal attacks instead of touch attacks.  The goal is to hit, not really deal damage (just need 10 after DR is taken into account for the job to be done), and he has an average attack bonus of +34, more than enough to hit monsters regularly.
Missed the point there, I never cared about the chance to hit. Incorporeal attacks (and weapons) ignore none-force-based armor. If Ghost Touch was freely both at any point, a Ghost Touch weapon should in fact ignore armor. But the FAQ clarifies the intent of the last sentence applies to the carrying and handling portion. The exact state of the blade is actually dependent on it's welder.

So a Ghost Tough sword in the hands of a corporeal creature does hit the wall rather than pass though it because you felt like that is more beneficial to you, IE the corporeal Monk hits the wall with his face while trying to run into it instead of turning incorporeal and passing though it because you wanted him to.

FAQ is official material published by the official source, no matter what crap you make up (btw citations needed there mr gossip) it still holds more rules priority than some random guy talking trash about comments that disagree with him on a forum. As with all things, when you strongly value a single sentence or word using your own intent. You are sorely mistaken from what the rules are trying to say.

...Oh hey, did I mention Rules of the Game has input too?
Quote from: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040928a
Some items, such as ghost touch weaponry, work for incorporeal creatures. In such cases, an item that an incorporeal creature carries or hold also is incorporeal until the incorporeal creature, drops it, throws it, or puts it down (but see the section on ghost touch weapons).
Ghost Touch items revert to a corporeal state when released (aka not held by) incorporeal creatures. And further only remain so until held by an incorporeal creature and thus ghost Touch it's self can never actively turn it's self incorporeal, it's a response to it's state (held by what?) being changed. The article goes on to further embrace the concept that the state of the Ghost Touch weapon is dependent on it's welder and even talks about Ghost Touch Arrows becoming corporeal after being shot from a bow. It ends with a final comment from Author Skip Williams recommending you to ignore the last line.

Looks like the FAQ and Rules of the Game are in agreement in every instance of how Ghost Touch is handled. The official article recommends not taking the last line to the extreme, and the FAQ says it wasn't meant in that way anyway leading to them both to end up saying no. Not bad for, what did you call it? Inconsistency?
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »
Don't have time before work to track down the links, but since you'd dismiss them anyway, that's not that big of a deal.

Besides, the Monk has another option: for 6,000gp, he gets the Ghostly Arm graft.  This gives him an arm which is explicitly incorporeal and still a part of his body.  He can just grab himself whenever he wants to be incorporeal and let go whenever he doesn't want to be (free actions both ways, btw).  Since he had over 190k left, this clearly is well within his price range.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2011, 03:47:02 PM »
The idea that a Ghost Touch weapon does so much more than simply hit incorporeal stuff is foreign to me.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »
The idea that a Ghost Touch weapon does so much more than simply hit incorporeal stuff is foreign to me.
Well, seeing as how a weapon with such an enhancement is considered incorporeal whenever you want it to be, you can ignore material objects as well.

And since apparently flesh is still affected by incorporeal touch attacks (a la every incorporeal critter ever written)... Well... I'll let you figure the rest out.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »
And since apparently flesh is still affected by incorporeal touch attacks (a la every incorporeal critter ever written)... Well... I'll let you figure the rest out.

Ok, let me check that with a random incorporeal creature, the ghost.

Attack

A ghost retains all the attacks of the base creature, although those relying on physical contact do not affect creatures that are not ethereal.
Full Attack

A ghost retains all the attacks of the base creature, although those relying on physical contact do not affect creatures that are not ethereal.

Well that was quick.

And yes, even if the creature had a touch attack before becoming incorporeal, it damn sure demanded physical contact to work.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2011, 05:41:53 PM »
Well, ghost touch does allow you to treat your weapon (or in this case, your body) as corporeal when it behooves you to do so.

So it's incorporeal for armor and such, and corporeal for your foe.

Though this could be stretching it a bit.

I wonder if adding levels of ghost would make this build any better.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 05:43:55 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2011, 07:21:01 PM »
Well, ghost touch does allow you to treat your weapon (or in this case, your body) as corporeal when it behooves you to do so.

I wonder if adding levels of ghost would make this build any better.
not really necessary, just the Ghostly Arm.  Corporeal or Incorporeal whenever you like.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2011, 07:54:15 PM »

It's stretching a lot. Last time I checked, when you go from incorporeal to corporeal inside something solid, you're shunted out taking damage along the way (Blink). The thing you tried to solidify inside is completely unharmed. Otherwise everybody would be using this kind of effects to go inside creatures and make them explode from inside.