Author Topic: Creating 'Legendary Fighter', competition, are there prizes?  (Read 74875 times)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Creating 'Legendary Fighter', competition, are there prizes?
« Reply #240 on: July 06, 2011, 04:24:47 PM »
Fistbeard Beardfist does not qualify since he uses a total of 5 prestige classes.... but just for the fun of it I am submitting the level 20 Fistbeard Beardfist build, with backstory, as well as that of his cousin Fistbear Bearfist

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #241 on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »
Yeah Solo, but even though you use more sources than this particular thread is allowing I find the Brothers Fistbear(d) to be highly reasonable and too full of flavor to ignore.

EDIT:  Oh they're cousins?  Bummer.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:57:44 PM by Nachofan99 »

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #242 on: July 06, 2011, 05:53:48 PM »
Um. Just going to put up a draft of my bard. Because I'll never get to it if I keep trying to make her perfect and this may make me commit to certain aspects.  :( She's gone through a few incarnations. Sometimes I am trying to get 2 levels of Seeker of the Song, draconic heritage (battle) with a sorcerer level, and so forth, but right now she is not doing that. If she were... it might be battle sorcerer 1 / drow exoticist 1 / bard 8 / seeker of the song 2 perhaps, the feats seem to work out there.

Also briefly strayed from the path of the whip weapons, but thinking about Hei keeps dragging me firmly back.

Code: [Select]
Human
Chaotic Good
Bard 8 / Drow Fighter Exoticist 2 / Crusader 2

Str 14 Dex 12 Con 14 Int 15 Wis 8 Cha 18

1) Dragontouched, Dragonfire Inspiration
3) Snowflake Wardance
6) Words of Creation
9) Extra Music
12) Lingering Song

Exoticist: Proficient with Spinning Sword, Net, Harpoon, Lasso
Feats: Improved Initiative, Exotic Attack

Skill Tricks: Whip Climber

Stances: Martial Spirit, Thicket of Blades

Weapons: Spinning Sword, Whipdagger, Composite +2 Longbow, Harpoon, Net, Lasso (2h)
Spiked Gauntlets (in case disarmed)
Armor: Mithral Breastplate with Armor Spikes (also in case disarmed, and/or for enhancements)

Gear: To be determined. For abilities boost Charisma first. Strength/Dexterity/Constitution second.

Spells:
1 (4): Inspirational Boost, Swift Invisibility, Feather Fall, Instant Diversion
2 (4): Bladeweave, Swift Fly, Whirling Blade, (Alter Self)
3 (2): Hesitate, Phantom Steed
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:20:28 PM by Kajhera »

Sir Giacomo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #243 on: July 06, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
Interesting turn of the thread - so it really WAS useful to put in some effort into bumping it. :)
@Midnight_v: since it already came up in this thread...maybe you should put polymorphing/metamorphosis/shapechange/alter self on the ban list, too. Otherwise the ban list sums up nicely some insights of the recent class comparison discussions...

I'll think on doing an update of my monk build with these restrictions in mind.

- Giacomo

PS: @snakeman830...kudos for the idea with the throwing gauntlets. I am hesitant about whether that is legal by RAW, but just for coming up with it...hilarious (including the seeking part...hitting opponents without intending to...) :D!

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #244 on: July 06, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »
I'm guessing my bard would be saddened with the loss of alter self, but I don't know exactly what she was using it for, and knowing my bards I'm not sure I want to know.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: July 06, 2011, 07:04:38 PM »
Are we going to ban the lion totem barbarian next?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #246 on: July 06, 2011, 07:09:55 PM »

Hah, I think that we're being nudged towards it, rather.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #247 on: July 06, 2011, 07:31:34 PM »
I just realized I've never played a legitimate D&D game. Well that bites. :(
So then you ALWAYS play in D&D games where Wizards are Shapechanged into Chronyatyrns and Dire Tortoises?  I feel bad for you, you're really missing out on the other 99% that D&D 3rd has to offer.
If the Wizard hits level 17, yes. Why in the hell wouldn't you? No playing as a super power kinda defeats the purposes of playing such a high level.

Also I play D&D 3.5, and rarely around level 17+.

There's no such thing as "legitimate" games of D&D,
+1

If so, I think Barbarians should be banhammerz. A Mantle of Rage (6,000gp) and +1 Furious Gauntlet (18,301gp) gives 1/day Greater Rage. Heavy Adamatine armor even gives DR 3/-. Without Lion Totem, there is no reason for them.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Infected

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: July 06, 2011, 07:56:13 PM »
If so, I think Barbarians should be banhammerz. A Mantle of Rage (6,000gp) and +1 Furious Gauntlet (18,301gp) gives 1/day Greater Rage. Heavy Adamatine armor even gives DR 3/-. Without Lion Totem, there is no reason for them.

Or just ban all ACFs, of course that might be more of a disadvantage for certain classes then others.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:19:30 PM by Infected »

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #249 on: July 06, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »
And would be counter to the spirit of the competition.  :p

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2011, 08:07:13 PM »
You know, that was said in the spirit of condensed snark.

The fact that people take it seriously disturbs me.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Infected

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2011, 08:24:26 PM »
Just as much as you taking my comment seriously.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2011, 08:37:46 PM »
You know, that was said in the spirit of condensed snark.

The fact that people take it seriously disturbs me.
You think I was serious wanting to ban the Barbarian for being worthless?

...Hmm, you know. After I said that I see why.  :drums

Oh hey, I forgot I made this.
Totally invalid though.
[spoiler]
Scorpion
Race: Loth-Touched Human
Class: Overwhelming Attack Monk 1 / Psychic Fighter 2 / Fighter 1 / Unarmed Swordsage 3 / Fist of the Forest 1 / Shiba Protector 1 / Loth Touched 1
HD: 6d8+3d10+52 (95 HP)
Initiative: +0
Speed: Land: 40ft.
AC: 29
      Touch: 28
      Flat-Footed: 29
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+12
Attack: + 5 (bab) + 7 (str) + 5 (wis) + 1 (weapon focus, unarmed attacks) + 1 (enchantment, unarmed attack) + 2 (moral, if they attacked you last turn)
Damage: + 7 (str) + 5 (wis) + 1 (enchantment, unarmed attack) + 2 (moral, if they attacked you last turn)
Full Attack:
      +1 Harpoon +18 ranged (1d10+13)
      Unarmed Strike +19 melee (3d8+13)
      Furry of Blows Snap Kick +15/+15/+15 melee (3d8+13)
      Vengeful FoB SK +17/+17/+17 melee (3d8+15)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike, Feral Trance 1/day..
Special Defenses: AC Bonus (wis to AC), AC Bonus (con to AC), AC Bonus (wis to AC).
Special Qualities: Quick to Act +1, Discipline Focus, Fast Movement, No Thought.
Saves: Fort +23, Refl +12, Will +17.
Abilities: Str 24 (+7), Dex 10 (+0), Con 22 (+6), Int 10 (+0), Wis 50 (+5), Cha 8 (-1).
Feats: Alertness1st, Brutal Throw3rd, Combat ExpertiseBf, Great FortitudeF, Iron WillF, Improved Natural AttackH, Improved Unarmed AttackMonk, Point Blank ShotBpw, Power AttackMonk, Psychic ShotBpw, Snap Kick6th, Superior Unarmed Strike9th, Weak FortF, Weak WillF, Weapon Focus(unarmed strike)Bss.
Skills: (all skills have a -1 penalty form legacy) Intimidate +2 (unnamed)
Equipment: 49,000gp limit
      Weapon - +1 Harpoon (2,315)
      Neck - Necklace of Natural Weapons +1 (2,600)
      Arms - +1 Vengful Bracers of Armor (4,000)
      Waist - Monk's Belt (13,000)
      Generic - Protection +1 (2,000), Resistance +3 (9,000), Wis +2 (4,000)
      Misc - Legacy Ectoplasmic Fist (6,000), Least Iron ward Diamond *2 (1,000, 500 per), Lesser Crystal Of Life Drinking (1,500), Healing Belt *2 (1,500, 750 per)
      2,085gp left.
Legacy Abilities:
      6: -
      7: +2 enchantment to str
      8: -
      9: Obscuring Mist
      10: Magical Cipher
Maneuvers: 7/4/2 (desert, diamond, setting, shadow, stone, tiger)
      swordsage 1 (il 3, 2nd level)
      Action Before Thought: counter, make a concentraion check instead of a reflex save.
      Burning Blade: boost, swift, +1d6+(IL) fire damage on all your attacks for one round.
      Cloak of Deception: boost, swift, greater invisibilty until the end of turn.
      Fan the Flames: strike, 30ft. ranged touch attack deals 6d6 fire damage
      Moment of Perfect Mind: counter, concentration check for will save.
      ?
      Stance - Child of Shadow: gain concealment when you move 10ft.
      swordsage 2 (il 4):
      ?
      swordsage 3 (il 5, 3rd level):
      Bonecrusher: strike, +4d6 damage, target must make a fort save (dc 13+str) for crits have a +10 bonus to confirm against them.
      Stance - Assassin's Stance: gain +2d6 sneak attack.
Environment: Any
Organization: Any
CR: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: By Class
Level Adjustment: +1
[/spoiler]
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2011, 08:42:51 PM »
Don't underestimate Giacomo. That's exactly the kind of thing he'd try for, and agreeing that the lion totem barbarian should be banned will lead to massive arguments if anyone tries to actually use it.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #254 on: July 06, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »
PS: @snakeman830...kudos for the idea with the throwing gauntlets. I am hesitant about whether that is legal by RAW, but just for coming up with it...hilarious (including the seeking part...hitting opponents without intending to...) :D!
Then this will make you wonder.  The Throwing Gauntlets just make him faster, nothing else.  They don't give him the ability to move as an attack.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:20:37 AM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #255 on: July 06, 2011, 11:56:12 PM »
@Midnight_v: since it already came up in this thread...maybe you should put polymorphing/metamorphosis/shapechange/alter self on the ban list, too. Otherwise the ban list sums up nicely some insights of the recent class comparison discussions...

First of all I'm not the judge of these things, you don't have to go through me to limit yourselves, and as you can see by the responses that follow yours... One more ban and we're actually over the limit of "banning silly shit" into the area of "I'm a shitbag, w/exotic banhammer profiency." I'm gonna put that cookie down now.

Further while I don't think people should be trying to get items that allow continuous polymorph or whatever the fuck, Metamorphasis is one of the things that psywars actually tend to use. Alter self is one of the things that Hexblades use along with that shapeshift feat.
So no. . . fuck that shit forever.
If you're a psywar that takes expanded knowledge: Ion Cannon. Well you're still a psychic warrior, and thats just one of the things you class lets you do.

Well I'm going to say, its 100% legal and while I'm sure they didn't think of it, lycanthromancer was the first to actually come out and say it.
Props to him.
And snakeman for creating such an awesome build.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: July 07, 2011, 05:05:25 AM »
Again, it's the necklace of natural attacks that allows our monk build to add Throwing, Distance, Seeking, and all the other abilities onto its unarmed strike. The gauntlets merely increase its range.

Note, Giacomo, that we actually used items and feats and skills that enhanced the abilities the monk already had (in this case, mostly its unarmed strike's ability to be treated as both a natural and manufactured weapon, and how that interacts with the necklace of natural attack's ability to toss interesting weapon enhancements onto a natural weapon). We didn't take skills the monk didn't have, or waste a crap-ton of money on scrolls, partially-charged wands, and custom items that don't actually exist in any book.

Our monk can use his entire body for an unarmed strike, so things like ghost touch would make his entire body incorporeal for any effect he wants any time he wants (though ghost strike is better, since it lets you crit and sneak attack undead as well, and it's still a +1 bonus, per the MIC, but SnakeMan830 was convinced it was a +3 bonus for some reason, despite my telling him otherwise). Suppression allows all of his unarmed strikes to target-dispel as Dispel Psionics, and the [host] feat we tossed on there gives our monk a manifester level to make full use of it. Throwing allows ranged abilities to be tossed on (heh), and it also lets him throw his entire body with a range increment of 10' (out to a maximum of 5 increments). Doubling that several times (through Distance, the gauntlets, and the goggles) gets his range out to a total 400' by 20th level. He doesn't attack opponents from that range, but attacking a 5' space is against an AC of 5, so it's easy enough to hit even at a penalty. And even if you miss, you land in an adjacent space, so just choose a space where you don't mind if you miss.

Probably the best pure monk build you can actually get. If you're worried about not being able to have all the goodies added onto your necklace, then take the Ancestral Relic feat to fix that. I'd suggest Item Familiar too, but the feat doesn't give enough weapon upgrade goodness for that to work. If the build were a warforged or some other creature that is considered a masterwork item for the purposes of enhancement (or if you spent 300 gp on your monk to make his body masterwork, since, y'know, it counts as a manufactured weapon), then your body would become intelligent, independent of your mind.

And that's just...weird.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #257 on: July 07, 2011, 05:16:55 AM »
then your body would become intelligent, independent of your mind.

And that's just...weird.
Sounds like someone wants to make a kara no kyoukai build now.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #258 on: July 07, 2011, 05:36:27 AM »
....then your body would become intelligent, independent of your mind.

And that's just...weird.
It would be awesome. And weird.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #259 on: July 07, 2011, 10:57:17 AM »
Looked up Ghost Strike, Lyco.  It has an issue with being a Synergy property requiring Ghost Touch.  Paying an additional +1 just for the ability to crit undead is a waste.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.