Author Topic: Silly little psionic trick  (Read 2859 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Silly little psionic trick
« on: April 29, 2011, 01:12:14 AM »
Ardent with the Pain and Suffering Mantle and ML 5

Take Share Pain, Forced as a power known.

Manifest it. If the target attacks you, expend your psionic focus. They just took full damage, and you took half.

If you have a psicrystal and Psicrystal Containment, you can have two psionic foci at once, so if they can attack twice, you can hit them both times.

Great for semi-tanking for a game you know won't go beyond ECL 6.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Silly little psionic trick
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:33:15 AM »
Hehehe, the Psionic Whipping Boy :D  I think Phaedrus did something similar in the Ardent Handbook, and it was just as hilarious.

"Hit me.  Please...hit me!" -evil grin-
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:44:27 AM »
Grab me 3 levels of Binder (Psionic Anima Mage adaptation?), and bind Dahlver Nar.

I take 1/4 damage, he takes 5/4 damage.

Add an Amulet of Retribution, and 3/day that is 1/8:11/8 as a ratio for damage.

If the enemy deals me 100 damage (random, simple example), I actually take 12 damage and he takes 137 damage.

Hmmm... I'll grab the Guardian Mantle as well; iirc, the ability for that mantle applies whenever your ally next to you takes damage, so take that 11/8 and run it through Shield Other and Share Pain, Forced, to make the ratio...

Me: 19/64 of the damage

Him: 154/64 of the damage

Yep, he took about 240% of the damage there, while I took around... 29~30%

He hits me for 100 damage, I take 29 damage, he takes 240 damage.

If I can get another focus (I know there is a way), I can make all of this go up to...

Me: 89~90%

Him: 421%

How many foci can you get, again? Maximum amount, I mean.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 10:11:08 AM »
You, psicrystal, psionic weapon master, arguably your schism and your psicrystal's schism, and arguably an item familiar.  Three at least, possibly as many as six.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:37:46 AM »
That's a good point, a schism has pp and is a separate entity.  Either it should be able to focus itself, or it can't use focuses at all.

I was playing it that it used YOUR focus when it casts a metapsionic'd power.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
That's a good point, a schism has pp and is a separate entity.  Either it should be able to focus itself, or it can't use focuses at all.

I was playing it that it used YOUR focus when it casts a metapsionic'd power.

I wonder if I just found a new psionic trick...since I would dare say I've never seen anyone refer to a schism as a source of psionic focii.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:27:42 AM »
I wonder if I just found a new psionic trick...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:30:37 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 05:20:04 PM »
... or Divine Mind at level 11 ...  ;)

lianightdemon

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »
"Schism
Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]
Level:    Telepath 4
Display:    Auditory and visual
Manifesting Time:    1 standard action
Range:    Personal
Target:    You
Duration:    1 round/level (D)
Power Points:    7

Your mind splits into two independent parts. Each part functions in complete autonomy, like two characters in one body. Your new “second mind” does not control your body physically but is free to take one standard action in each round if the action is purely mental (such as manifesting a power) in the same round you take your normal actions.

Your second mind can manifest powers using your power point reserve, but only as if your manifester level were six lower than it is. Your second mind doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity when manifesting a power, because doing so doesn’t distract your primary mind.

Your second mind takes its first action on your turn in the round after schism is manifested.

Both your minds communicate with each other telepathically. If you are subject to a compulsion or charm effect while you are of two minds, make a second saving throw if you fail the first. If you fail both, then the schism ends and you are affected normally by the power. If you fail just one, the schism ends immediately, but you are not subject to the compulsion or charm.

Your second mind does not gain any advantages if you are subject to a haste effect, although you gain the overall standard benefits. "

Gain Psionic Focus (from SRD)
"If you have 1 or more power points available, you can meditate to attempt to become psionically focused. The DC to become psionically focused is 20. Meditating is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. When you are psionically focused, you can expend your focus on any single Concentration check you make thereafter. When you expend your focus in this manner, your Concentration check is treated as if you rolled a 15. It’s like taking 10, except that the number you add to your Concentration modifier is 15. You can also expend your focus to gain the benefit of a psionic feat—many psionic feats are activated in this way. "

Seems to work, since concentration checks are mental action, however you would need the psionic mediation feat in order for this to work, otherwise it takes a full round action and the schism would need to use it's standard action as a move action. Trouble is that the 2nd mind is a character of it's own, and doesn't exactly give you it's focus, but it can use it's focus by itself.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:46:29 PM by lianightdemon »

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »
Well, the key part would more be
Each part functions in complete autonomy, like two characters in one body.

I'm pretty sure you and schism wouldn't share focii though.  It would need to focus and then could use that focus on something it was casting.  Which is alright but much less exciting.

Also, I have no idea whether the schism gets your feats and skills.  One would assume so, but it's entirely up in the air.

Also, Kell, stop finding new loopholes in the game.  Bad Kell.

Did I tell you i'm playing a modified chrono-legionnaire in a PbP game?  It's going pretty well, if you trim it back a bit it makes a really interesting and playable t2 character (mainly, just don't add hood to it).

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 02:16:49 AM »
presumably a schism mind can access anything only requiring mental effort, some skills and feats qualify, and it is a mind within your body being fed by your sensory input. otherwise it couldn't target with some separate sort of sensory input.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine