Author Topic: The Uses of Lucid Dreaming  (Read 13734 times)

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
The Uses of Lucid Dreaming
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »
All right - inspired by the thread on long-distance communication, I've decided precisely one thing about my next character build: They will have full ranks in Lucid Dreaming. I'll get it as a class skill somehow, don't worry.

Now, I've tried a bit of lucid dreaming in real life, but I certainly haven't been able to pull off all the capabilities a D&D character can with it.  :p Therefore I'm curious: What cool uses can you think up for Lucid Dreaming? So far I'm sure of assassination (though a bit more help on this would be cool), distant communication, and the simple entertainment I can get even OOC.

Part of me wants to be a druid, and part of that part wants to be a planar shepherd, but I'm not all that familiar with either class so feel free to suggest things about it. Wondering what use the dreamscape might have mixed with planar shepherd. Part of me also wants to have bard spells. Cleric and psion are always options...

But mostly curious about what fun can be had with the skill.  :)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: The Uses of Lucid Dreaming
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »
Easiest way to do this I've found - Changeling Factotum/Chameleon - be anyone in anyone's dream, make sure to have a greater armor crystal to protect yourself from the dream heart.

Or abuse the items don't get used in the dream rule and be an artificer with the apprentice feat to gain the class skill, make scrolls, wands, and potions galore for use in the dream.

Gather information - spy on their dreams and use the change one thing in the dream to bring into play subjects you want to know about
Diplomacy - gain their trust through long conversations so when they meet you they start as neutral or friendly.
Seduce the wife/love interest of your target - get them to fall in love with you and betray their current interest at an opportune time.
Intimidate the target - use fear and danger to make the target afraid to sleep or kill them outside the dream heart to force them to wake up, especially effective with spell casters if you can prevent them from getting 8 hours of rest. (Only used on targets you don't want to really kill)
If you used the Apprentice feat to gain the class skill - Train with your Master/Apprentice - 1 min real time = 10 min dream time
Go deeper :) - put the target to sleep, and then follow them into their deeper dream for more crazy shenanigans!

Depending on how real your DM makes the Dream Heart- use the change the dream check to create an item, then put it into your haversack before you wake up.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
What armor crystal are you referring to?

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:39:17 PM »
I think its called Planar Attenuation, its in the MIC. Protects you from all damaging or dibilitating aspects of a plane if I remember correctly. Currently don't have access to my books.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:37:33 PM »
Where is that skill first introduced?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
Where is that skill first introduced?
Planar Handbook, in a sidebar. And it's not even first, that's the only place, as far as I know.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »
Manual of the Planes, in the section about the Realm of Dreams, not planar handbook.

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:05:13 PM »
Lucid Dreaming Planar Shepard of Dal Quor  :plotting

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »
As long as you're not working for the Quori, their enemies are personally immune to the Lucid Dream skill. They don't dream.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »
Manual of the Planes, in the section about the Realm of Dreams, not planar handbook.
Gah. Why do I keep mixing those two up?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »
Because as a Player character option it really seems like it should be in there? Rather then buried in a DM fluff book. :)

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 06:08:51 PM »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 09:35:25 PM »
I need to check out that movie, my boyfriend mentioned it as well.  :( I'm not a big movie-watcher.

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 10:37:40 PM »
Kalashtar don't dream and other races don't even sleep.  Personally, I only use Lucid Dreaming as an excuse to run dream arenas when I DM.  I would never expect a DM to indulge my character because she has this skill.  The PC's current BBEG that I run when I DM never has to physically engage the party due to this skill.

For actual mechanics that make sense for PCs to have, see Secrets of Sarlona as Cagemarrow suggested(Quori).  Of course I'd only consider selecting those feats in an E6 game.  They are more flavorful and balanced than the skill.  Now, if only the knowledge one wasn't restricted in such a way as to not work with Knowledge Devotion.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 10:53:54 PM »
Heh. I'm not too worried about balance or indulgence ... considering how my group keeps shrinking and three characters to a party has become somewhat more than usual.  :( I'm pretty sure my DM would enjoy this sort of skill and I'm not overly worried that I will somehow steal the show from my aforementioned boyfriend that I've discussed this with a bit.  :p

Thanks for the ideas and the movie link. Crystal of Adaptation seems insufficient, but casting Energy Adaptation would be probably. If I decided to try and figure out how to craft in the Dreamheart, for whatever reason, something more permanent like being a 10th-level Planetouched Warlock might be in order.

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 11:00:09 PM »
Heh. I'm not too worried about balance or indulgence ... considering how my group keeps shrinking and three characters to a party has become somewhat more than usual.  :( I'm pretty sure my DM would enjoy this sort of skill and I'm not overly worried that I will somehow steal the show from my aforementioned boyfriend that I've discussed this with a bit.  :p

Thanks for the ideas and the movie link. Crystal of Adaptation seems insufficient, but casting Energy Adaptation would be probably. If I decided to try and figure out how to craft in the Dreamheart, for whatever reason, something more permanent like being a 10th-level Planetouched Warlock might be in order.

I only mentioned this because we are talking about a skill that causes encounters.  All other skills so far as I know are only called for in an encounter.  The DM has to plan for this to some extent.  How do you describe one's dream?

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 11:04:56 PM »

I only mentioned this because we are talking about a skill that causes encounters.  All other skills so far as I know are only called for in an encounter.  The DM has to plan for this to some extent.  How do you describe one's dream?

Heh. Well, I'd warn him of course.  :p He's done it plenty before in non-lucid dreams, played an assassin, and is generally accustomed to players seeking out individual encounters in addition to group adventures. It'd be up his alley.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 12:00:46 AM »
Remember, you don't have to leave the rest of the party out while using this skill. Just go find their dreams first and then drag them along with the dc 25 check, unless they too take the skill or make the wisdom check.

The feats from secrets of sarlona are indeed nice for bringing the flavor of dreams into the real world so to speak. I just wish they could be used more often.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 12:19:48 AM »
Unfortunately it appears that the dc 25 check is for dragging them into the Dreamheart solely. I'm not entirely sure if we can just go gallivanting around peoples' dreams together.  :( Be fun though.  :)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 12:30:49 AM »
Well considering it says you can just walk from one persons dream to the next I don't see why not. I'd even think having someone tell you you're dreaming should give you a bonus on the skill or wisdom check to begin lucid dreaming, something like a +2.