Author Topic: Unofficial Errata?  (Read 4239 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Unofficial Errata?
« on: April 23, 2011, 08:46:29 PM »
I think I saw something like this before, or at least a mention of it.

Wasn't there some attempt to create fan errata for 3.5 books? (particularly stuff like Tome of Battle) If no one has a clue what I'm talking about, want to start such a project?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Unofficial Errata?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:44:03 PM »

Wasn't there some attempt to create fan errata for 3.5 books? (particularly stuff like Tome of Battle) If no one has a clue what I'm talking about, want to start such a project?

We mentioned several times in the past (back when 4E's PH2 was still in design), but the only thing I've seen like that was on GiantITP.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »

[/quote[Hell I argue for intent and balance rather than anything else. I'll help who ever wants to lead the project but I'm calling not it on leading it.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 04:02:11 PM »
I'd toss an idea or two that way, but don't have time to dedicate for my own projects.  :mad

Mainly tagging this to follow.  :D

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
I might help a little but how do you imagine this? I reserve a handbook and... work on fixing the problems within?
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 06:22:46 PM »
I might help a little but how do you imagine this? I reserve a handbook and... work on fixing the problems within?

A handbook-style errata would be the best way (reserve 2 posts/mechanical chapter of the book to be errataed), that way we can comment/debate the errata (though we may need a separate thread for the actual debate, to prevent it from cluttering up the main thread).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »
A board for this would be possible. Mostly for a list of the finished works.

Would it be okay to include the content of the existing errata?

Since it hasn't been used in a while, a reminder: it's okay to create a shared account for a group project so that everyone can edit, as long as it has a username which makes its purpose obvious (see: Handbook_Writer, ArenaManager). Mods are only allowed to edit stickies made by other mods.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:33:02 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 10:27:39 PM »
One of the sad things is that the extent of these errata would be limited to the users of this board. If you simply wish to make a load of houserules that are later implemented in your games, I think there already is a houserule board. Actually, wouldn't that go hand in hand with this one in any case?

Handy Links

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »
One of the sad things is that the extent of these errata would be limited to the users of this board. If you simply wish to make a load of houserules that are later implemented in your games, I think there already is a houserule board. Actually, wouldn't that go hand in hand with this one in any case?
Well, this is different. Nothing along the lines of giving the monk flight and full BAB, just clarifying whether Iron Heart Surge can extinguish suns. Balance tweaking comes only in places where the rules are ambiguous (such as whether or not VoP requires your bonus feats to be exalted after lv1).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:36:24 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 10:47:39 PM »
I am still not sure how that is different. Clarifying that Monks are proficient with their hands is a houserule and that is hardly as game changing as the examples you cited.

Handy Links

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »
I am still not sure how that is different. Clarifying that Monks are proficient with their hands is a houserule and that is hardly as game changing as the examples you cited.
The difference is the scale.  Houserules typically alter a few specific things.  Eratta alters large numbers of things slightly so as to clarify rules interactions, though not usually the functionality (as much).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 10:55:04 PM »
Sorry, but this really presses my buttons: Erratum, errata is the plural.

I see your point snakeman830, but it still seems to me that it would be appropriate to lump this together with rest of the houserules. Maybe it is just my compulsive need to keep places tidy and in order.

Handy Links

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 11:55:29 PM »

I see your point snakeman830, but it still seems to me that it would be appropriate to lump this together with rest of the houserules. Maybe it is just my compulsive need to keep places tidy and in order.

A subfora in house rules then?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 01:26:09 PM »

A subfora in house rules then?
Naturally.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »

A subfora [...]

I see what you did there.  :eh

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »
So did we.

Handy Links

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 01:49:17 PM »
So, I've started a sub-board in House Rules. If anyone wants to do some organising/indexing, I'll give you mod privileges.
My work

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »
So, I've started a sub-board in House Rules. If anyone wants to do some organising/indexing, I'll give you mod privileges.

I'll take care of the modding for that forum if you don't mind.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »
I added a link to the subforum to the Handy Links. What do you think, should I start indexing the threads of that subforum to the Handy Links as well? Unless I am mistaken, there is still a post I reserved for future use that could be utilised for that.

Handy Links

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 05:51:29 PM »
Eh, I'd save that for when we have an index of completed errata up.
My work