Author Topic: You are the Royal Wizard in charge of security. How do you prevent scry & die?  (Read 17444 times)

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
So lets say you are the Royal Wizard or the Royal Artificer or whatever in charge of security of the Royal Family and important dignitaries, chancellors, advisors, court officials, and so on and so forth.  Your kingdom is at war with another kingdom, and they have wizards and such.

How do you, economically, make sure that important people are not vulnerable to a scry and die, and these important people can still do their jobs of running the kingdom?
BG's other resident furry!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Craft traps of Mind Blank.

[/thread]
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Craft traps of Mind Blank.

[/thread]

So they scry the throne room and teleport in.  Or they scry the people that are BOUND to be near the king and queen, like a handservant or something, and teleport in and cause a ton of damage.  I think the idea is to prevent, yaknow, the teleport and unleashing of power...

Assume, maybe, that the trap rules aren't in the hands of the PC's... they have to use things like Spell Clocks, Schema, Eternal Wands, Spell Turrets, House Insignia, and stuff like that (am I missing anything?)...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:12:27 AM by Gavinfoxx »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Permanent Mage's private sanctums combined with dimensional lock

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email

Where are the rules for permanency-ing Mage's Private Sanctum? Also won't that often prevent them from doing their work?

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
So they scry the throne room and teleport in.  Or they scry the people that are BOUND to be near the king and queen, like a handservant or something, and teleport in and cause a ton of damage.  I think the idea is to prevent, yaknow, the teleport and unleashing of power...

Everyone is Mindblanked, problem solved, they can never even scry anything.

Assume, maybe, that the trap rules aren't in the hands of the PC's... they have to use things like Spell Clocks, Schema, Eternal Wands, Spell Turrets, House Insignia, and stuff like that (am I missing anything?)...

Everyone is under the effect of Veil, and the entire place is under the effect of Hallucinatory Terrain. Recast when needed.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Also, everyone's inside your own private demiplane. Much more difficult to get to you there.

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Traps of Greater Anticipate Teleport (that spell from SpC which delays the teleporting for three rounds)... and maybe spell turrets of Dimensional Lock?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Without knowing level or resources available, it's hard to answer this.

But one of the first things I'd do is make Simacrulums of the royal family to handle day to day basics that don't require the real family.  Basic speeches, parading about and visiting the people, and so on.  When transporting the royal family, the fake versions would go about in the official carriage while the real ones are teleported to the new location inside a portable hole.  Furthermore, I'd hide the real names of the family, using the official names only for the Simacrulums.  Thus, divination spells target the fake ones and get them killed first.

I'd also use Improved Arcane Lock on all important areas of the castle, so that only certain people could walk into restricted areas... this will keep out most skillmonkeys (as Open Lock simply fails against that spell).  Choke points would lead into the high security areas of the castle, guarded by Permanent Alarm along with Improved Arcane Lock and mundane defenses like soft squishy floors that clearly show when an invisible person walks on them.  Permanent Phase Door is worth considering too... put the actual guards guarding a real door, behind which is a ton of nasty traps (ghoul glyphs over water filled pits are amazing for defenses), while the Phase Door to the side is where people actually want to go.  Most likely the actual secure areas (where the royal family are, the treasure is, strategic points, etc) will only be accessible through a few passages, and will either be deep underground or connected by portals from far away.  Perhaps a portal set into a hole of hiding is the real way to the actual chambers.

JaronK

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email

Where are the rules for permanency-ing Mage's Private Sanctum? Also won't that often prevent them from doing their work?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm

For some reason I thought it couldn't work on that spell. Silly me.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
While not nearly as helpful as some of the other bits in this thread, there's an item (I wish I could think of the name) that deals a bunch of damage if someone is scrying on you.  I know it's mentioned in the Bunko thread.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
While not nearly as helpful as some of the other bits in this thread, there's an item (I wish I could think of the name) that deals a bunch of damage if someone is scrying on you.  I know it's mentioned in the Bunko thread.
Deathglance Locket, I believe. Anyone scrying on you should be able to handle a mere 10d6 damage, but it might be a bit of a deterrence.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
SBG has runes you can carve into buildings to prevent scrying/teleporting.  Easy peasy.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
SBG has runes you can carve into buildings to prevent scrying/teleporting.  Easy peasy.

Doesn't Draconomicon have something similar? And can't you do something like that with the dwarven rune thing?  What is the most efficient way to do this?

Leviathan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Draconomicon's Lair Ward: Secure Cavern
Covers an area of around 400 square feet
Entire area is affected as per Mind Blank. Note that this isn't just the people in it, it's the area itself, even divinations or mind-affecting spells etc that affect an area rather than individuals will fail.
CL15 to create, costs 60,000gp

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Entire area is affected as per Mind Blank. Note that this isn't just the people in it, it's the area itself, even divinations or mind-affecting spells etc that affect an area rather than individuals will fail.

I do think that this seems to be a somewhat better deal than the Stronghold Builder's one!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing

I do think that this seems to be a somewhat better deal than the Stronghold Builder's one!
Not sure if it's able to be made mobile, but for this application it doesn't matter.  You can apply all the SBG reducers to it, though, which is a real plus.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Leviathan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Not sure if it's able to be made mobile, but for this application it doesn't matter.  You can apply all the SBG reducers to it, though, which is a real plus.

The Lair Wards require Craft Wondrous item, so logically the Legendary Artisan feats will work with it :)

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Somehow, I think our friendly Artificer has a lot of Dragon allies. See, they owe him for their Lair Wards.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.