Author Topic: Melee Nomad  (Read 2129 times)

SpaceLlama

• Monkey bussiness
Melee Nomad
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:53:31 PM »
I'm playing in a game with a lot of feats house ruled in. We get 3 at level 1 and one every even level. I'm looking to build a melee psion (nomad). My concept is a teleporter that's moving around the battlefield fighting with a sword. I've been reading up a lot on Psi-gish characters, but I was hoping I could get some input. Here's what I have so far:

Str 16
Con 16
Dex 10
Int 14
Wis 13
Cha 11

1 Ranger (Hidden Talent, Speed of Thought, Feat 3)
2 Nomad (Feat 1, Practiced Manifester) [1st lvl powers ML 2]
3 Nomad [1st lvl powers, ML 3]
4 Ranger (Combat Style, Feat) [1st lvl powers ML 4]
5 Nomad [2nd lvl powers, ML 5]
6 Nomad (Feat) [2nd lvl powers ML 6]
7 Nomad (Psionic Feat) [3rd lvl powers ML 7]
8 Sanctified Mind

I'm working my way toward Sanctified Mind, because it has a full BaB and 9/10 manifesting progression. I started with Int 14, because that should get me to Int 19 by the time I need it to cast level 9 powers. I chose Ranger, because the character concept is a survivalist. I went for the 5th level of Psion before swapping over to Sanctified Mind, because I thought the extra Feat and level of powers might be worth it. There's still a lot of unchosen feats in this build, as the level layout above suggests.

I'm not sure I'm fully committed to this particular path, I'm not sure if going Psychic Warrior would be better. That's why I'm looking for help. I'm curious if anyone has any advice for this sort of character. Thanks in advance for the help and input in the matter.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Melee Nomad
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:05:54 PM »
Ardent 8/Swordsage 1/Telflammar Shadowlord 4/Ardent 2/Elocater 1/X4

With dominant ideal, you can take 4 full attack actions as a single swift action.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »
What Ranger combat style are you using?  Look into Strongarm, if you can use alternate class features-- Power Attack at level 2 with no prerequisites.  Otherwise, you might consider skipping Ranger 2 in favor of more Psion levels.

For tactics and power selection, check out the Chrono Legionnaire.  (I'm pretty sure that's a Nomad build.)

SpaceLlama

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »
With this build, which I'm still working on, I was thinking of using Expanded Knowledge to get Bite of the Wolf, for a secondary melee attack. In the text of Bite of the Wolf it says that the bite damage scales up with your Psychic Warrior level. Does that mean I would always be stuck at 1d8 damage, because I don't have any Psychic Warrior levels?

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »
What Ranger combat style are you using?  Look into Strongarm, if you can use alternate class features-- Power Attack at level 2 with no prerequisites.  Otherwise, you might consider skipping Ranger 2 in favor of more Psion levels.

For tactics and power selection, check out the Chrono Legionnaire.  (I'm pretty sure that's a Nomad build.)

where would i find strongarm? ive never seen it..

SpaceLlama

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »
The alternative ranger styles, including Strong-Arm are in Dragon Magazine #326.