Author Topic: Obvious Things 3.5 is Missing  (Read 10218 times)

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Obvious Things 3.5 is Missing
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »
Yeah, there are too many items that have a cost of "who would buy that crap"

But there are some that are extremely underpriced for what they do, like Ring of the Darkhidden or the Flesh of Orcus (Ghostwalk)

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »
Beatsticks that aren't super squishy.
Beatsticks that use a weapon other than a two handed, reach weapon and are still playable.

Beatsticks that don't have to go through half a dozen classes and eight different feats just to keep from being utterly irrelevant.  I cringe every time I hear a DM talk about how he's going to "crack down on munchkin multiclassing."  Oh, goody: so you're going to make the fighter-types LESS viable, while not hurting the wizards, clerics, and druids at all.  Well done.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »

But there are some that are extremely underpriced for what they do, like Ring of the Darkhidden or the Flesh of Orcus (Ghostwalk)

There's only about 2 or 3 rings worth using in the entire game, so Ring of the Darkhidden is fine.

Beatsticks that aren't super squishy.
Beatsticks that use a weapon other than a two handed, reach weapon and are still playable.

Beatsticks that don't have to go through half a dozen classes and eight different feats just to keep from being utterly irrelevant.  I cringe every time I hear a DM talk about how he's going to "crack down on munchkin multiclassing."  Oh, goody: so you're going to make the fighter-types LESS viable, while not hurting the wizards, clerics, and druids at all.  Well done.

While true, it's also one of the early warning signs of a bad DM, which is even more important. If it were removed, you'd find more of your time wasted by them, even if you had no interest in playing a beatstick to begin with.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »

If you're bringing Ghostwalk into it, there's the Glove of the Master Strategist.  Half the price of a Glove of Storing, and more useful on top of that.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »
true... i wish Ghostwalk was more popular :(

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
3.5 needs a flaw that gives you 5 free feats, and makes it so you can never use Spells, Psionics, etc.

It should make you fly and give you your own plane too.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »
3.5 needs a flaw that gives you 5 free feats, and makes it so you can never use Spells, Psionics, etc.

Why would you need a plane if you could fly? For Luggage?
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 03:48:23 AM »
I think there should be a simple core feat that is just "You gain this skill as a class skill for all your classes." Aerenal Skill Focus is from an obscure source and for a single race, and that really irks me.

Another obvious thing missing: power attack for ranged weapons.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 07:54:06 AM »
I think there should be a simple core feat that is just "You gain this skill as a class skill for all your classes." Aerenal Skill Focus is from an obscure source and for a single race, and that really irks me.

Player's Guide to Kalamar is core provided you consider the back cover of Player's Guide to Kalamar to be core.  ;)

I'd like more [scalable] spells, since I don't really care about fifteen variations of deal xd6 damage in an area being seperate spells.  Similarly, I dislike how 3.5 split up "emotion" into different spells.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »

Great, so you lose access to FANTASTIC COSMIC POWER, still have an itty bitty living space, and... get +1 to hit FIVE TIMES! I'm sure that will help!

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »

Great, so you lose access to FANTASTIC COSMIC POWER, still have an itty bitty living space, and... get +1 to hit FIVE TIMES! I'm sure that will help!

I take that flaw as something that a mundane would always take and something that a caster would never take.  Of course, if the character could still use magical items....

It's like a vow of magiclessness.  Of course, feats are nothing compared to magic.  I would suggest that this isn't a bad idea if it were expanded across levels like vow of poverty.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 06:33:26 PM »

I take that flaw as something that a mundane would always take and something that a caster would never take.  Of course, if the character could still use magical items....

It's like a vow of magiclessness.  Of course, feats are nothing compared to magic.  I would suggest that this isn't a bad idea if it were expanded across levels like vow of poverty.

VoP is one of the biggest fail concepts in D&D.

If at any time you attempt to make something look good by attempting to compare it positively to VoP, you have already lost the argument.

You also completely missed the point. Namely that feats are terrible, and magic is god, and losing access to uber tier for fail tier...

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 06:50:11 PM »
Things that 3.5 is missing: a Viable VoP-ish option.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »

Player's Guide to Kalamar is core provided you consider the back cover of Player's Guide to Kalamar to be core.  ;)
Is that like how the Expanded Psionics Handbook is core if your sources include the back cover of Complete Psionic?

Which reminds me...  3.5 needs about another three months of editing and playtesting Complete Psionic.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 11:41:08 PM »
Which reminds me...  3.5 needs about another three months of editing and playtesting Complete Psionic.

agreed, along with several other books, like Tome of Magic and Weapons of Legacy

also, i wish they made the Elder Evils book much thicker... like adding some of the crazy evil creatures from the back of Champions of Ruin, like Kezef and Dendar. Maybe even putting the elder evils from the aboleths in Lords of Madness, since they are elder evils too ;)

i wish they did an official Planescape book for 3.5, since i LOVE all of the information that that series gave the 2nd-edition and semi-officially to 3.x

i wish they did a Fiendish Codex for each the yugoloths and demodands and many of the other left-out evil outsiders, like rakshasas and night hags.

i wish they did Planar Codexes for the rest of the alignments, and even some for the elements, energies, para-elements, and quasi-elements.

i wish they did a Fey book and a Giant book, similar to the Draconomicon, and Races of the "Goblin" books.

i wish EVERY book after the Draconomicon, was as well done and had the incredible art that the Draconomicon had in it.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2011, 12:14:54 AM »
ToB errata that isn't stupid.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 01:45:11 AM »
ToB errata that isn't stupid.

The ToB eratta makes sence...

shame its for the wrong book.

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 05:15:07 AM »

VoP is one of the biggest fail concepts in D&D.

If at any time you attempt to make something look good by attempting to compare it positively to VoP, you have already lost the argument.

You also completely missed the point. Namely that feats are terrible, and magic is god, and losing access to uber tier for fail tier...

That's why you have to put in the whole gives you the ability to fly and your own plane.  That's what's called a trap.  If you take such a flaw, just make sure you get your tier 1 friend(s) to chaperon you.  It's what my party does.  I take it you didn't study game design with WoTC/Paizo?  We are discussing 3.5 yes?

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 04:02:31 PM »
i wish they did an official Planescape book for 3.5, since i LOVE all of the information that that series gave the 2nd-edition and semi-officially to 3.x
For what it's worth, you can run Planescape w/ virtually no work in 3.5.  It depends if you really want some mechanics for the varying factions -- I don't b/c I wouldn't want them to get in the way of the fluff or roleplaying, but if you felt the need you can ignore any fan-made prestige classes and just give each faction a mechanic reminiscent of its 2E abilities.  There are probably even feats out there that do it already (e.g., Insane Defiance).  I was part of a 3.5 Planescape campaign w/ some regularity for about a year.  Although everyone has to read a lot of the 2E material on it, otherwise the world just falls flat. 

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 05:05:09 PM »
True. Just how its written is different than 3.x, maybe that's what throws me off the most