Author Topic: E6 - Totemist  (Read 2293 times)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
E6 - Totemist
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: E6 - Totemist
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:57:32 AM »
How are you planning to get them flatfooted reliably, without a means of doing that your build would be at a significant disadvantage. You might be better off picking up the targeteer acf(dragon 310) for fighter and the hit and run fighter instead so you get your dex to damage on all attacks and twice your dex to damage when the enemy is flat footed. Then focus on pumping dex up as far as it can go.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 04:00:46 AM by Havok4 »

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »
I was going to be relying on initiative checks and the oil/grease/marbles option of monsters without having ranks in balance. Not sure if I'm going to be allowed access to the dragon content which is why I chose the hit & run variant. The build I had originally seen on this used scout instead but as skirmish doesn't qualify you for items requiring sneak attack I thought this route might be better. Invisibility, blink, and full concealment options would work too and provide me with some additional defense.

Would there be any other options for this? Perhaps a different totem bind would be better. Like I said I'm not all that familiar with Incarnum so any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 05:37:27 PM »
Totem 2 / Incar 2 ... is almost always gonna be better than just one of them 4.

Fighter 2 for that second feat slot, and use it for an [incarnum] feat.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »
The other option would be to go with close combat.
1 level of Barbarian for Rage.
2+ levels for Totem Bind - Girallion Arms.
Maybe some Incarnate like awaken DM golem proposed.

Pick up Extra Rage and make sure you pick up Martial Maneuver (Iron whatever Heart) and Martial Stance (Punishing Stance).

But more importantly, a question:
Are your goals to make an primarily Incarnum-based character, a ranged character or a Totemist?
Depending on what your primary objective is, the build advice will differ.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 02:00:50 PM »
I'm not entirely sure, I'd like to stay mostly totemist, but am open to other options. I'd like to make him an unpredictable dangerous handful for whatever situation comes up. Would incarnate help with this? Can you explain how?

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 02:31:06 PM »
Totemist 5 gives 4 soulmelds, 3 essentia, 1 chakra bind, and access to the least chakras. Totemist 2/Incarnate 2 gives 3 Totemist soulmelds, 3 Incarnate soulmelds, 4 essentia, 2 chakra binds, and the same chakra access, all in one less level. If you're only working at low levels, you can get a bit more out of Incarnum (and ToB, too) by taking the initial levels that grant extra soulmelds/whatever to start you off with rather than progressing a single class only a little bit (not far enough for the specialization to pay off).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »
For the Totemist 2/ Incarnate 2 build which binds would you recommend, to which chakras? What would be good for the other two levels? Rogue/SA fighter again?

The few soulmelds I've looked at that look usefull would be

Manticore Belt - Totem
Basilisk Mask - Totem (how can I increase the DC so this won't fail regularly?)
Blink Shirt - none or Totem
Crystal Helm - crown
Shedu Crown - crown (would take mindsight with this one)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
Beast Heart Adept has kinda piqued my interest for this character. So if I choose Totemist 2/ Incarnate 2/ ? 1 (needs to be able to get knowledge dungeoneering 4, handle animal 1,)/ Beast Heart Adept 1

Which class would be recommended for the 1 level dip for the knowledge dungeoneering skill? Ranger, Scout, or another class? I thought about the Druid Shape shift or Elemental companion variants but they don't get knowledge dungeoneering, unless there's a ACF available for it.

Next would the feat that improves the animal companion work with the Monsterous companion feature? Natural Bond? The monster bond references the Druid companion feature so I would think so.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:05:10 PM by Cagemarrow »

kremti

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 12:29:49 PM »
Cloistered Cleric for 1 level dip, maybe?

-K

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
Which domains should he take with that? Would any of them improve the companion monsters progression somehow?