Author Topic: What is Endarire up to?  (Read 10617 times)

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Re: What is Endarire up to?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 10:36:35 PM »
Bump.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 10:17:47 AM »
The most exciting possibility is that he is one of the head designers of the new edition of D&D, and he is coming here to do research. Progressively less exciting possibilities include being head designer of a 3rd party game based off the OGL, a single person working on a hobby game, a DM looking to make a good set of housrules or someone simply curious about how the game works and doesn't work. His questions are more on the nose than I've seen game designers be, so I'm guessing he's just curious, maybe making up some house rules on the side.

OR he could be writing a book about gaming called Endarire's Game.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 11:43:51 AM »

Boooo

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »
The most exciting possibility is that he is one of the head designers of the new edition of D&D, and he is coming here to do research. Progressively less exciting possibilities include being head designer of a 3rd party game based off the OGL, a single person working on a hobby game, a DM looking to make a good set of housrules or someone simply curious about how the game works and doesn't work. His questions are more on the nose than I've seen game designers be, so I'm guessing he's just curious, maybe making up some house rules on the side.

Reference to a 1985 novel?

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 07:10:42 AM »

Reference to a 1985 novel?

Maaaybe. ;)

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »
Nice. ;)
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 03:12:43 PM »
Observations:

1. He's asking questions to deliberately stir up conversation.
2. If not for his threads, I wouldn't have agreed with many of the consensus topics I see on minmax.
3. He is doing newer minmax members a unique service by providing entry level logical discussion on well known topics.
4. The threads haveinspired me more than once to tweak my house rules.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 03:21:57 PM »
But it gets annoying pretty quick. He opens a topic and disappears. That diminishes my motivation to read them and even moreso when it comes to replying. Perhaps someone ought to make a handbook to starting 3.5e optimisation. A mindmap of sorts pointing out where to look when you need something for a specific character concept, some basic ideas about what is good (like the Commandments) and what is bad and such.

I could give it a try next week if there people deem this to be a good idea. Contributions to it would, of course, be capital.

Handy Links

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 03:29:39 PM »
But it gets annoying pretty quick. He opens a topic and disappears. That diminishes my motivation to read them and even moreso when it comes to replying. Perhaps someone ought to make a handbook to starting 3.5e optimisation. A mindmap of sorts pointing out where to look when you need something for a specific character concept, some basic ideas about what is good (like the Commandments) and what is bad and such.

I could give it a try next week if there people deem this to be a good idea. Contributions to it would, of course, be capital.

I'm in. I'll set some time aside for it tomorrow.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »
I could make a thread for it and ask if anyone is interested. It sounds like a relatively large project, so extra hands wouldn't be bad.

Handy Links

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 03:35:08 PM »
I came into CharOp pretty late in the game, frankly, and like some others here I found a lot of the assumptions of the Min/Max boards to be odd or contrary to my experience.  It took me a while, for example, to realize that Casters get to play a totally different game than mundanes.  Sure, I'd heard about Rocket Tag and all of that, but until I actually played a Wizard by the tenets of Treantmonk's God Handbook I didn't realize just how devastating a Wizard playing cosmic chess could be in a "I hit it with my sword" environment.

Endarire's threads provide me with an opportunity to see how many of these basic CharOp assumptions came into being, which makes them useful to me.  Yes, I would like it if Endarire played Socrates more faithfully instead of letting the Interlocutors take over, but that diminishes the threads' usefulness only a little, if at all.

Tshern: I would love to see a Handbook on How to Enter the world of 3.5 Character Optimization.  If you start it, I'll contribute what little I can.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:36:40 PM by kalaskaagathas »

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
To redirect the discussion about the handbook idea away from this thread: Click here.

Handy Links

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 05:30:27 PM »
As I've noted above, I find them pretty annoying.  That doesn't mean that they don't have any value, but they are annoying.  The reason is that Endrarie clearly knows the "conventional wisdom" on the topic.  He'll reference it all the time, sometimes in the very thread itself.  I would feel differently if someone relatively new to CharOpp, or skeptical about a particular piece of conventional wisdom, were to post such a thread.  His threads, though, in light of his obvious information, smack of being either lazy or disingenuous. 

I'll take a look at the handbook when I get the chance, but I agree it's a good idea.  Although I will admit that I disagree w/ some key pieces of the CharOpp conventional wisdom and I find that such conventional wisdom can sometimes contribute to laziness.  Sure, all else being equal a conjurer is a more powerful character than a warblade, but imho the whole point of CharOpp is to tip those scales.  That's why I do it at least.  Well, that and to ruin my DM's life.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »
He asked two question-posts in his last thread. Endarire is evolving?

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »
It does peturb me a bit that he doesn't respond... it seems so slick.
Throws a rock thend hides his hand, but it does result in some interesting discussions.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 09:11:43 PM »
Relatively unbiased data sample?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 09:34:18 PM »
I shiver at the thought of him using the discussions of these boards for data collection.

Handy Links

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 09:35:10 PM »
I shiver at the thought of him using the discussions of these boards for data collection.

If he's collecting data specifically about these boards, it's not so bad.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »

If he's collecting data specifically about these boards, it's not so bad.
I think Tshern's shivering from excitement, not fear.

Whether it's sexually exciting to him is something I'm not about to probe into very deeply.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]