Author Topic: help with wizard at early levels (useful gear/spells)  (Read 2759 times)

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
help with wizard at early levels (useful gear/spells)
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »
I start playing a relatively weak wizard and don't really know what to take to survive the first levels.
My character is a Dragonborn Aleithan Dwarf (Darkvision 90ft., some psionic powers and growing wings) with 10 Str, 13 Dex, 20 Con, 19 Int, 13 Wis and 10 Cha and the Domain Wizard variant
ItemCostWeight
Sundark Goggles10gp-
Bitterleaf Oil (nearly empty, 2 uses left, it's useful for my scales, weapons or the kobold of our party)5gp-
Spellbook15gp3lb
2x Flour pouch2sp-
Listening Cone8sp1lb
Twine, roll (50 feet)1sp-
Dagger2gp1lb
Bedrol1sp5lb
Backpack2gp2lb
Bell (damped)1gp-
Caltrops1gp1lb.
Candle1cp-
Flask (filled with Water)3cp3lb.
Ink8gp-
Inkpen1sp-
2x 1-pitch-flask Oil2sp2lb.
Rope 25ft5sp5lb.
Spell Component pounch5gp2lb.
Signet Ring5gp-
Courtier's Outfit- (by house rule)-
3 common Meals9sp-
Sack (empty)1sp1/2 lb
Club-3lb
Sling--
at all57gp, 4cp28.5 lb

So I got a Club as primary melee Weapon for fights, the sling for ranged combat (I can get the bullets on my way).
A flask with water and 3 Meals will be enough I hope, I got a Bedrol to sleep and an empty Sack to loot (medium load out of fight after the first fight, which can be droped easily won't be a problem). But where can I cut enough to be not medium loaded by default? (1-3lb free would be nice, too)
Anyone got any idea what my wizard could need more and what he does not need?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:56:29 PM by Tr011 »

spacemonkey555

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: help with wizard at early levels (useful gear/spells)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »
Your first outfit doesn't count against your encumbrance, if you carried 2 you would have to count one of them. PHB pg. 131, first paragraph under clothing, last sentence.

Tr011

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:56:01 PM »
Wow nice thanks.
Any useful item I could need for up to 40gp?

spacemonkey555

Tr011

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »
Thanks^^ this helps really a lot. I now packed my belt and used most of the remaining gold and weight for expensive Dwarven Alcohol (flavor cuz Dwarf and saleable for more than it's worth outside of Dwarven Cities).

Btw: Does Magic Missle work with Fell Drain, Fell Frighten and Fell Weaken? I would take Fell Weaken and Fell Drain. (-4 Str and -1 level for one enemy + one per three caster levels, no save)

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »
Yeah, they do. Using those metamagics with auto-hit spells like magic missile and its cousins is a favorite tactic.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
I think you will be underwhelmed by Feather Fall and Tenser's Floating Disk as well, but YMMV.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Tr011

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 04:35:09 PM »
I thought of Tenser's Floating Disc for level3+ as a transportation method for various items. Also, there are so much uses in this spell like carrying wounded people, ignoring the terrain and so on. Do you know any other method for transporting useful but heavy gear? (Armor is i.e. good for loot & sale, but as a wizard I don't wanna carry it)

Feather Fall isn't needed at all, your right. (forgot I also can glide at level3 or something so I can't take much falling damage even unconcious from there on)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 05:27:48 PM »
I wouldn't bother with damage spells at low levels, a light crossbow will give you similar damage output without costing you spell slots. At level 1 the spells I'd use are color spray, charm person, enlarge person on your big stupid fighter, and grease once you get a couple of levels.

I'd invest in a guard dog or two at 25 gps a pop and cross class handle animal. You can use it as a pack animal, it has scent so nothing at that level will sneak up on you, and at level 1 it's decent for combat. Leather armor might also be a consideration at level 1, it's +2 AC for only 10 gps and it's only 10% ASF and 0 ACF, leather armor barding for your dog wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »
I think you will be underwhelmed by Feather Fall and Tenser's Floating Disk as well, but YMMV.

Our warmage has found Tenser's Floating Disk to be his single most useful spell, but he is a warmage rather than a wizard.

Tr011

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 07:06:33 PM »
I first wanted to buy a dog, but then our 4-Int-Fighter got his 2-Int-Dog, so I decided it would be kinda lame to get a dog too (cuz they could both count as my dogs as long as he doesn't DM the campaign :lmao )
Reasons for Tenser's Floating Disc (~5% doesn't work, but rest does)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »
Another benefit of enlarge person is that it makes your BSF a bigger target.....literally. Attacks on your BSF aren't attacks on you.

Tr011

• Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »
Another benefit of enlarge person is that it makes your BSF a bigger target.....literally. Attacks on your BSF aren't attacks on you.
That's right. And the Reach is a nice bonus, too.

Think my spells will be kinda:
Expeditious Retreat: By Wizard Domain. Not really awesome, but it is still OK.
Color Spray: By far the best for lvl1 imo. With a bit care not to stun my mates it will be kinda AoE Instant-Kill.
Grease: Useful in nearly all situations. Can even be used on weapons held by foes or I can get a team member out of that grappling orc's hands.
Enlarge Person: You said it.
Silent Image: With a bit imagination and a good idea it can be a fear effect without save for enemies. Also good out of combat.
Summon Monster 1: He should tank some strikes or flank with the party rogue.
Magic Missle: I think it is really the worst choice after looking thru the other spells. At least at level one. But dealing some damage may be useful.
Tenser's Floating Disk: Disk of all uses.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »
Grease is basically only useless against rogues and factotums with 5 or more ranks in Balance, or creatures that fly with no need for holding things.

Heck, use it on the ground and you can even screw over epic level golems with it.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 02:46:25 AM »
Grease > Epic Golems
Is this more of a failure of golems or a win of Wizards?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »
Grease > Epic Golems
Is this more of a failure of golems or a win of Wizards?
A combination of golem fail and somewhat spotty balance rules.  Then again, I think this is more or less appropriate for golems:  they're good at what they do, but they are ultimately clumsy, brainless automatons.

Tr011

• Email
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »
At least it's funny to know, that a wizard can easily farm Golems xD