Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 24: We Can Work It Night By Night  (Read 165876 times)

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: Ask a Simple Question 24: We Can Work It Night By Night
« Reply #780 on: May 05, 2011, 03:11:52 AM »
A239 I would lean more towards a flat +$2500 'bonus' for the proficiency
Why so low? Nothing that good is that cheap, even on MIC. Even Shadowstrike's 5000 and it's 1/day. This is a free feat.

Because it's not a very good feat, maybe? Other than the spiked chain and a few other exceptions, most exotic weapons are just a +1 damage bonus (maybe +1d6 if you're really big/use a few virtual size increases) over an equivalent martial weapon. That's not a whole lot. Compare to the Energy Assault Crystals in the MiC, which cost less than that and do as much.

The virtual proficiency feat is also more limited than a real feat (since it only applies to that specific weapon, rather than weapons of that type). The various feat granting magical locations usually cost about 3000g for a mediocre, and sometimes even useful feat, so it makes sense to price it cheaper than that.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Luckanan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #781 on: May 05, 2011, 04:17:29 AM »
Q 241

What is a good dragon type for the Draconic Heritage feat if one's going to take Draconic Breath?  I know there's a breakdown somewhere of frequency of elemental resistances (for monsters), but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #782 on: May 05, 2011, 04:34:05 AM »
Q242
Is there any way to Boost the Binder Level of a character with the Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige, not including perhaps Bloodlines (though i don't know if that works with the Binding Feats anyway)?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

ILM

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #783 on: May 05, 2011, 06:54:36 AM »
Q243: I need to free a feat. Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack or Blind-fight, any one of those four. I can't switch levels so no Cleric 1 with Darkness domain. Any items or locations that'd do it?

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #784 on: May 05, 2011, 07:38:54 AM »
Q243: I need to free a feat. Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack or Blind-fight, any one of those four. I can't switch levels so no Cleric 1 with Darkness domain. Any items or locations that'd do it?

A243: Armor of Mobility (Draconomicon, 16,160gp) Grants the Mobility feat. No idea on the others at the moment.

Q244: Is there any kind of 'Evil Litmus Paper' ? A way to detect/prove an evil character whose alignment is hidden?

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #785 on: May 05, 2011, 07:55:09 AM »
Q242
Is there any way to Boost the Binder Level of a character with the Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige, not including perhaps Bloodlines (though i don't know if that works with the Binding Feats anyway)?

Implements of Binding, ToM pp 76, give you a bonus on your Binding check, but do not improve your EBL.  Bloodlines do not improve the abilities of feats, just classes.

If you took a level in the binder class and took the feat Improved Binding, your EBL for the purposes of the Improved Bind Vestige feat would be 8. (5th + 1 (Binder) + 2 (Improved Binding).

Everything else that I can see requires you to have the Soul Binding class feature, which the Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige feats do NOT give you.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Q244: Is there any kind of 'Evil Litmus Paper' ? A way to detect/prove an evil character whose alignment is hidden?

Uh... there's some prestige classes that just go 'no, anything that reveals alignment doesn't'.  That said, if they just have a hidden alignment, Contact Other Plane is kind of a nice way to do it.  Or, you could spy on them with scrying.  Or, you could hit them with an MDJ or three and THEN go DETECT EVARL etc.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #786 on: May 05, 2011, 08:00:39 AM »
245 Does a Corrupted Creature (BoVD) apply its +4 bonus to its ""special attacks' DCs" to spells it may cast?

Bortasz

• Email
« Reply #787 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:23 AM »
Q235 Anybody know rules for Modern and Future, weapons and armours compatible witch D&D?
(no D20 Modern)

The DMG has a couple of weapons including an antimatter rifle. Other than that d20 is pretty much your only option other than writing them yourself.
I was afraid of that.
Q246 Does anybody know "World of Darknes by Monte Cook's"? (I still search for modern weapons) Does it's weapon and armour mechanic is compatible witch normal 3,5 D&D?
Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #788 on: May 05, 2011, 09:22:13 AM »
Q242

Implements of Binding, ToM pp 76, give you a bonus on your Binding check, but do not improve your EBL.  Bloodlines do not improve the abilities of feats, just classes.

If you took a level in the binder class and took the feat Improved Binding, your EBL for the purposes of the Improved Bind Vestige feat would be 8. (5th + 1 (Binder) + 2 (Improved Binding).
You lose Bind Vestige when you gain the actual Soul Binding class feature, so no dice.

Q246 Does anybody know "World of Darknes by Monte Cook's"? (I still search for modern weapons) Does it's weapon and armour mechanic is compatible witch normal 3,5 D&D?
If you mean the World of Darkness I think you mean (Storyteller system), then absolutely not. It doesn't even use the same die roll mechanic.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bortasz

• Email
« Reply #789 on: May 05, 2011, 09:59:37 AM »
If you mean the World of Darkness I think you mean (Storyteller system), then absolutely not. It doesn't even use the same die roll mechanic.

Nope. I mean Monte Cook's World of Darkness.
http://www.amazon.com/Monte-Cooks-World-Darkness-Cook/dp/1588464679
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Monte_Cook%27s_World_of_Darkness
It supposed to be on 3,5 D&D mechanic. So I'm curious douse weapons and armours from there are good to use in normal D&D?
Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

braininthejar

« Reply #790 on: May 05, 2011, 11:13:08 AM »
Q: does bardic/loremaster knowledge check count as a "trained knowledge check" for the purpose of other feats/ skill tricks ?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #791 on: May 05, 2011, 11:36:15 AM »
Mobility can be gained through the Mobility armor enchancement (MIC, +1 bonus).  Blind-fight can be nabbed via a Fiendish Ear graft (Fiend Folio, 2,500gp), but that carries harsh penalties for nat 1's on Listen checks (confused for 1d4+1 rounds and deafened).

Dodge and Spring Attack I don't know.  If you don't mind an ECL jump of 3, get yourself bitten by a small were-snow spider?  That gets you Spring Attack as a bonus feat without prerequisites.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #792 on: May 05, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »
I want to make this a greater slaying arrow firing bow. To do that I know I need "heightened finger of death" as per the arrow itself. What would be the process in figuring out the math and the final cost?
one slaying arrow costs 91 exp, which is equal to 7*13 (lvl 7 spell, cl 13)
one greater slaying arrow costs 162 exp, which is equal to 9*18

bow of solars costs 100k. mundane stuff costs around 1k, magic 99k. +2 weapon costs 8k, rest= 91k. Notice that 91k is similar to 91 exp for a single arrow.
if we replace 91k with 162k, add 8k, and around 1k for mundane bow, the price is 171k

It's not exactly clean math, but it could work.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #793 on: May 05, 2011, 03:01:47 PM »
Q238 does anyone know the name of the spell that lets you view the last couple rounds before someone died? It's like Speak with Dead, except it allows you to view the last couple rounds leading up to the creature's death, and requires an intact brain instead of an intact jaw, iirc.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #794 on: May 05, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »
Q239:  Is there anyway to make soulmelds less obvious?  Most classes can hide their magical nature without too much trouble, but walking down the street with floating, glowing, ephemeral looking body parts and whatnot trailing along can make it hard to be subtle at times.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #795 on: May 05, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »
Q239:  Is there anyway to make soulmelds less obvious?  Most classes can hide their magical nature without too much trouble, but walking down the street with floating, glowing, ephemeral looking body parts and whatnot trailing along can make it hard to be subtle at times.

Throw on a huge tarp.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #796 on: May 05, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »
bind them to a chakra. They stop glowing and look like real, solid equipment.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #797 on: May 05, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »

Nope. I mean Monte Cook's World of Darkness.
http://www.amazon.com/Monte-Cooks-World-Darkness-Cook/dp/1588464679
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Monte_Cook%27s_World_of_Darkness
It supposed to be on 3,5 D&D mechanic. So I'm curious douse weapons and armours from there are good to use in normal D&D?
I have the book on my hard drive actually, but I can't say I've ever even looked at it.  Never saw much cause to do so.  You can probably torrent it, or maybe get it for cheap off of drivethrurpg

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #798 on: May 05, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »
bind them to a chakra. They stop glowing and look like real, solid equipment.
What?!  Really?  How did I miss that...  Thanks.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #799 on: May 05, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Q242

Everything else that I can see requires you to have the Soul Binding class feature, which the Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige feats do NOT give you.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Higher Binder Level for my Psicrystal.
Because I am a monster...
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."