Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 24: We Can Work It Night By Night  (Read 166147 times)

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Ask a Simple Question 24: We Can Work It Night By Night
« Reply #380 on: April 20, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »
Q 136: If I get size increases, do I also get a set dexterity penalty? Or do I only get penalties/bonuses due to the methods I achieve the size increases?
For example, if I get polymorphed into something large, and then would use righteous might I would be huge without a dex penalty. But a medium creature using expansion for 2 size increases would also be huge, but with -4 dex.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #381 on: April 20, 2011, 09:09:14 AM »
Q 136: If I get size increases, do I also get a set dexterity penalty? Or do I only get penalties/bonuses due to the methods I achieve the size increases?
For example, if I get polymorphed into something large, and then would use righteous might I would be huge without a dex penalty. But a medium creature using expansion for 2 size increases would also be huge, but with -4 dex.
A 136

Spells that effect size increases override the general rules for size increases, so there are no set penalties or bonuses for such increases. Effectively, the size increase granted by the spell and the ability bonuses or penalties it grants are separate. So yes, a Large creature using Righteous Might to become Huge would have no Dex penalty, whereas a Medium creature using Expansion for the selfsame would take a -4 Dex penalty.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #382 on: April 20, 2011, 10:38:33 AM »
Q121: Does the Psychic Focus soulmeld affect the Claw of Energy power?
bump
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: April 20, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »
Q137: Does ability damage stack? (example 1: I manifest a power dealing 1d4 Cha-Damage for 4, I manifest it again for 4, does an enemy with 8 Cha have now 0 Cha? example 2: I manifest a power dealing 1d4 Cha-Damage, now I cast a wizard spell dealing Cha-Damage, does this stack?)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #384 on: April 20, 2011, 11:42:48 AM »
Q137: Does ability damage stack? (example 1: I manifest a power dealing 1d4 Cha-Damage for 4, I manifest it again for 4, does an enemy with 8 Cha have now 0 Cha? example 2: I manifest a power dealing 1d4 Cha-Damage, now I cast a wizard spell dealing Cha-Damage, does this stack?)
A 137

It accumulates much like hit point damage, so yes, ability damage would 'stack'. I wouldn't use the term stacking, though, as it's musleading in this case - stacking applies to bonuses and penalties and has specific rules regarding it, whereas damage isn't a penalty in game terms. Think of it as just that, damage (except done to an ability score rather than hit points), and you'll get a good idea of its interactions with rules. So both your examples would be correct, two instances of 4 Cha damage becomes 8 Cha damage, and a power and a spell dealing Cha damage separately 'stack'.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #385 on: April 20, 2011, 01:17:18 PM »
Q138

When does Turning/Rebuking stop being useful?  Like high level, mid level?  Thanks.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #386 on: April 20, 2011, 01:41:36 PM »
Q138

When does Turning/Rebuking stop being useful?  Like high level, mid level?  Thanks.

Never. Even assuming you don't use turning/rebuking itself, you can still use it to power feats.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #387 on: April 20, 2011, 01:47:02 PM »
Never. Even assuming you don't use turning/rebuking itself, you can still use it to power feats.

True but I mean just for using it on undead.  Like if I am going for PrCs that increase my CL do I worry if they don't stack for what kind of undead I can turn/rebuke?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #388 on: April 20, 2011, 02:08:35 PM »

True but I mean just for using it on undead.  Like if I am going for PrCs that increase my CL do I worry if they don't stack for what kind of undead I can turn/rebuke?
Very few PrCs increase your CL and your turn/rebuking abilities, and undead required a lot of HD to be a threat after a while. If you're trying to build a character that turns them all the time, you'll need to acknowledge that eventually you won't be able to, even with shenanigans. I'd say a little more than mid-level you'll start to see this with some, but not all, undead.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #389 on: April 20, 2011, 02:17:54 PM »
Thanks guys.  I have two seperate characters and was trying to figure if to go for more caster levels while not worrying about increasing turning levels.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #390 on: April 20, 2011, 02:21:56 PM »

Very few PrCs increase your CL and your turn/rebuking abilities, and undead required a lot of HD to be a threat after a while. If you're trying to build a character that turns them all the time, you'll need to acknowledge that eventually you won't be able to, even with shenanigans. I'd say a little more than mid-level you'll start to see this with some, but not all, undead.
Not entirely true.  There are many high CR, low HD undead (typically liches, vampires,and similar types) as well as many high HD, low CR undead.  Then there are those undead that are useful to rebuke at virtually all levels (Shadows are a prime example of this).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #391 on: April 20, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »

Not entirely true.  There are many high CR, low HD undead (typically liches, vampires,and similar types) as well as many high HD, low CR undead.  Then there are those undead that are useful to rebuke at virtually all levels (Shadows are a prime example of this).
They often have turn resistance, though.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #392 on: April 20, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
Q 139 What ways are there to increase a medusa's gaze attack other than HD, feats, leadership tome, and the cloak of charisma?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #393 on: April 20, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »
A139:  Veil of Illusion from Sandstorm would probably work, as it gives +2 DC for all CHA based SU abilities.  If you're a good Medusa, the Saint template's Holy Power ability will increase the DC against evil creatures.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #394 on: April 20, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »
A139:  Veil of Illusion from Sandstorm would probably work, as it gives +2 DC for all CHA based SU abilities.  If you're a good Medusa, the Saint template's Holy Power ability will increase the DC against evil creatures.
Evil medusa, but that veil sounds good.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: April 20, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »
Q 139 What ways are there to increase a medusa's gaze attack other than HD, feats, leadership tome, and the cloak of charisma?

Adding the Tauric template with a paragon creature as the lower half.

Adding the Symbiotic template with a paragon creature as the host part.

Changing to a Giant, then adding the Lycanthropy template with a paragon creature animal part.

Changing to a Giant, then adding the Entomanothropy template with a paragon creature vermin part.

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: April 21, 2011, 03:19:47 AM »
Q140 I know somewhere in D&D I've run into a creature called a "kurst" or some variation thereof.  They're cursed humanoids who are forced to serve evil and are nigh impossible to kill without breaking said curse.  I know they exist, I just can't find where.  A little help?
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #397 on: April 21, 2011, 03:27:14 AM »
Q140 I know somewhere in D&D I've run into a creature called a "kurst" or some variation thereof.  They're cursed humanoids who are forced to serve evil and are nigh impossible to kill without breaking said curse.  I know they exist, I just can't find where.  A little help?
"Curst", I believe.  Monsters of Faerun.  They have regeneration and nonlethal immunity out of the box.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #398 on: April 21, 2011, 03:29:52 AM »
Q140 I know somewhere in D&D I've run into a creature called a "kurst" or some variation thereof.  They're cursed humanoids who are forced to serve evil and are nigh impossible to kill without breaking said curse.  I know they exist, I just can't find where.  A little help?
Looking for Curst? I googled them and Wizards.com says they're also in Lost Empires of Faerun. Undead critters that are tough to kill I believe.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

jeffrie

• nondescript young man over there for hire.
    • Email
« Reply #399 on: April 21, 2011, 03:48:59 AM »
Q141I have a chart here that says expert gets bonus feats. IIRC, you can't use expert (generic classes) with base classes (but can add prestige classes) , right?
"That's one for the good guys.
Current score: Evil 923,472,810, Good 1."

-Kuroimaken