Author Topic: More and more tentacles  (Read 4069 times)

Waldham

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
More and more tentacles
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:07:15 AM »
Prestige class :
_ Illithid tamer [Underdark] : Tentacle of fate (1d4 to 1d6 for the base tentacle damage), reaching tentacle (+ 5' for reach, adjustement stacks with the additional reach provided by tentacle extensions), whirlwind tentacle, tentacle of destiny (1d6 to 1d8), death whirlwind (constructs and undead are immune to this effect)

Template :
_ Tauric creature [Savage Species] : octopus
_ Multiheaded Creature [Savage Species] : number of heads following the size (lerna)

Spells :
_ Extend Tentacles (2nd level) [Spell Compendium] reach + 5'.

Feat :
_ Extended Reach [Savage Species] reach + 5 '
_ Inhuman reach (aberration blood) [Lords of Madness] reach + 5' or 1'

Items :
_ Serpent arm [Serpent Kingdoms/Fiend Folio] : a long, flexible arm ends in a snake head (CL 15th; graft yuan-ti flesh, price 12,000 gp)
_ Tentacle extension [underdark] : + 5' reach, + 2 enhancement bonus on attack and damage, increases its base damage die by one step (CL 12th, craft Magic/Psionic Arms and Armor; price 32000 gp)

Thanks for your future answer.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:57:19 AM by Waldham »

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
Re: More and more tentacles
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:38:58 AM »
Warshaper can technically create an unlimited number of natural attacks for itself, including tentacles.  Even if you don't use it for an unlimited number, it also has some other goodies - like increased damage and reach.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:09:55 PM »
~de geso?

Anthropomorphic giant squid seems like a good bet.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:21:36 PM »
Extend Tentacles (2nd level spell) in Spell Compendium extends reach of your tentacle attacks by 5'.

Extended Reach feat from Savage Species also increases your reach by 5' if you have a nonrigid body or nonrigid attack forms (such as tentacles).

I think the one necklace-slot item might let you give them the Throwing enhancement.

Bloodstorm Blade might work as well, for throwing your tentacles, but I'm unsure of this.

...Also, Changeling qualifies for Warshaper. You don't get much more humanoid than that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:34:58 PM by Kajhera »

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »
Evard's Menacing Tentacles spell (PHB2) gives 2 tentacles with 10 ft. reach that you can attack with as a free action; they can also make their own attacks of opportunity.

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »
Do you need to stay within WBL? If not, try something like this.

Half-Dragon Anthropomorphic Monstrous Centipede. You can fly with the wings, and thus you can use all 100 legs to hold things. Stick a Leg of the Squid on each (I think it's from a Dragon I have lying around) and suddenly you have 1,000 tentacles. They're about $4000GP a pop, if I recall. Still, $400,000gp for nigh limitless power isn't too shabby.

Praef

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:07:10 PM »
Xxyxx from the Triad of Shadows is a great tentacle build.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868722/Triad_of_Shadows?pg=1

P.S.
the build is stacked down in the spoiler tags for Necrosis
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:08:54 PM by Praef »

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 02:57:46 PM »
There's also the "Form of Doom" PsyWar power.

Waldham

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868722/Triad_of_Shadows?pg=1

I don't find that there are tentacles in this build.
Half-Dragon Anthropomorphic Monstrous Centipede. You can fly with the wings, and thus you can use all 100 legs to hold things. Stick a Leg of the Squid on each (I think it's from a Dragon I have lying around) and suddenly you have 1,000 tentacles. They're about $4000GP a pop, if I recall. Still, $400,000gp for nigh limitless power isn't too shabby.

The centipede don't attack with the legs, no ?

No dragon magazine. (read the first post)

The idea is to apply the 4 tentacles around the mouth as the illithid or half-illithid.

So the character has the tentacles from octopus as legs from tauric creature template.

Several heads from the multiheaded creature template also with 4 tentacles around the mouth of each head.

The serpent arms replace the arms with a serpent head as end with 4 tentacles around the mouth also from yuan-ti graft.

Perhaps something to obtain several arms. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:17:39 PM by Waldham »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 06:06:53 PM »
Form of Doom on a half-illithid critter with the Illithid Grapple feat (x4) has 12 tentacles all by itself.

Your psicrystal can gain tentacles from both Form of Doom and from Illithid Grapple, as well.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:36:57 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Praef

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 05:54:51 AM »

I don't find that there are tentacles in this build.

Did the part about the 2 tentacle whip symbiotes and the 2 displacer cloak tentacles escape your notice?

Daelkyr Half-Blood

Str 12
Dex 21 (16 + 5 level)
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 10
Cha 14

1) Totemist 1 - Alertness, Symbiont Mastery(b)
2) Totemist 2 -
3) Ranger 1 - WF(Tentacle), Track(b), Favoured Enemy(Aberrations)
4) Ranger 2 - TWF(b), +1 Dex
5) Fighter 1 - Weapon Finesse(b)
6) Fighter 2 - Faster Healing, Combat Reflexes(b)
7) Soul Eater 1 -
8) Soul Eater 2 - +1 Dex
9) Impure Prince 1 - ITWF
10) Impure Prince 2 -
11) Impure Prince 3 -
12) Impure Prince 4 - Rapidstrike(tentacle), +1 Dex
13) Impure Prince 5 -
14) Soul Eater 3 -
15) Soul Eater 4 - GTWF
16) Soul Eater 5 - +1 Dex
17) Soul Eater 6 -
18) Soul Eater 7 - Improved Rapidstrike(tentacle)
19) Paladin of Slaughter 1 -
20) Paladin of Slaughter 2 - +1 Dex

Waldham

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »
Form of Doom on a half-illithid critter with the Illithid Grapple feat (x4) has 12 tentacles all by itself.

Why 12 tentacles ?

Form of Doom from Complete Psionic ?

Are there a mean to obtain additional arms ?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 10:10:09 AM »
Why 12 tentacles ?
4 (half illithid) + 4 (Illithid Grapple) + 4 (form of doom)

Form of Doom from Complete Psionic ?
No.

Are there a mean to obtain additional arms ?
Many. Insectile template, obah-blessed template, thri-keen race, diopsid race, girallon arms, arms of plenty...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Waldham

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 12:43:38 PM »
What are the sources for these ?

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Doesn't Tauric specify that the lower-half must be a quadraped? So I'm not sure giant octopus would work, but a Tauric Anthropomorphic Octopus/Giant Octopus would be 14, 18 with half-ithillid.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 06:53:57 PM »
How about this?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 02:57:52 AM »
Symbiotic Human-Greenbound Incarnate Construct Sandform Petitioner Mob of Half-Illithid Four-headed Insectile Tauric Anthropomorphic squid-squids

Gives you maybe 300 tentacles for an ECL of ~4

(away from books, so the exact templates needed aren't exact)

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 03:44:49 AM »
It costs a bit, but the half-farspawn template in Lords of Madness grants 2 extra tenacles and more for a +4 LA.

Also if you want to go all out on the illithaid, there is the mind flayer, Ulitharid that is ECL 21 with 6 tenalces base.  Both of these cost a boat load, but when going illithaid, what doesn't.

The question is do you just want tons of tenacles, or tons of tenalces on an illithiad?  For the illithiad and assuming extreme cheese:

Psionic Mind Flayer 8 HD/7 LA/1 Thrallherd/1 Body Tamer/ 3 Illithiad Savant

Psionic version is in the expanded psions handbook and looses spell-likes for 9 levels of telepathy manifesting.  Thrallherd will give you thralls as usual.  Body tamer tenalce master.  Illithiad savant is to focus on eating Legacy Champions from Weapons of Legacy.  If you can get ahold of 1 level 10 legacy champion, you can eat his class ability to advance classes by 8 levels.  Extended levels of the savant first to level 10 to get more eats.  If you eat all 3 times (True Res as necessary on original champion), you can push your 3 PrC's to a total of 29 levels maxing all but one out.  It is enough to get your manifestor progression to level 17 and two thralls.

If you cannot find a legacy champion, you could always thrallherd one with lesser effect.

Pushing this further, you could eat the SU ability alternative form for the pseudonatural creature (+12 LA, use a thrall to pick one up depending if you get to go off of your ECL or HD).  This is iffy, but when in the pseudo form, all natural attacks become tentacle rake attacks + you get additional attacks based on HD.  The reason this is iffy because the attack info is not listed under alternative form directly but under attack.  If this worked though, you could get 4 additional attacks plus 1 for each other natural attack you picked up.  With this trick active, you could always drop the body tamer and eat morphic weapons from warshaper that someone mentioned before.  You have to be in a different form for this to work, but you can be as long as you like with alternative form.  Note alternative form does not allow entry into warshaper, but it does not state the abilities fail to work when in an alternative form.

So without body tamer:

Psionic Mind Flayer 8 HD/7 LA/1 Thrallherd/4 Illithiad Savant

Two class eats for +16 levels to max Thrallherd and savant.
One class eat for Morphic weapons
1 SU eat for alternative form from pseodnatural creature

works well, but is not really too over the top with what you see typical savant do (or druid 20).

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 04:21:19 AM »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"