Author Topic: Need help with versatile sorcerer  (Read 2423 times)

Aliek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Need help with versatile sorcerer
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:57:08 PM »
Sorcerers always fascinated me on D&D. The way their power comes from within, instead of long years of training and all of these things. Still, as one can't have everything, they don't have the versatility of a wizard, most of the time.

I'll be going on a campaign with no real focus. Mostly some friends who get together and do small sidequests, with maybe a big plot here and there. Should get pretty far on the level scale after some time.
What I want to do is being a sorcerer with loads of versatility. So far, I think that getting some mage of the arcane order levels might be in order. The added power for sorcerers is way above what it adds to wizards, IMO.
I think it's fairly likely for one to be able to level up on it from level 7 on, but the main benefits would be on Mage of the Arcane Order 7. Maybe until 9, for a free metamagic feat?

Also, 1 level of mindbender. Not exactly necessary, but I don't see anything better for my sixth level. First five are sorcerers, and then mindbender would give me the same as a sorcerer level plus telepathy. Basically, just a small bonus, but still something.

But after five levels of sorcerer, one of mindbender and seven of mage of the arcane order, I thought about getting Incantatrix up to where I could. At least 7, if we count level 20 as the "maximum", altough we might get into epic levels. However, I'll stand for 20 as maximum for practical reasons. So 7 levels of incantatrix, that'd give me some nice bonuses, but I'm not entirely sure on what school I should give up, and also whether to get two incantatrix levels earlier on, for the cooperative metamagic, thus freeing up a feat for mage of the arcane order.

Well, I think that's about it. As most mages, I'd also like to get high DCs and such, but I'm not so experienced on the matter. Any advice would be helpful, especially for races.
And I got that feeling you think you've missed something just obvious...

For a couple closing words, I'd just like to point out I'm not a native english speaker, but I hope I was clear.

~Aliek

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Need help with versatile sorcerer
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 02:06:31 AM »
Skip MotAO and go straight to Incantatrix. Add levels of Fatespinner.

Sorcerer 5/Mindbender 1/Incantatrix 10/Fatespinner 4

Use Limited Wish to emulate Psychic Reformation if you want to swap spells or emulate uncommon utility spells.

Alternatively, be a Shadowcraft Mage/Shadowcrafter. There's versatility for you!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:08:30 AM by Solo »

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Aliek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
That's nice. I didn't know about psychic reformation, so that makes it easier. The exp cost isn't fun, but then, that'd be better than using 7 levels on MotAO.
I'm not entirely sure about shadowcraft mage, or where that would fit in, but it sounds nice, but I'd need really high DCs, I guess. Is there any class which increases the number of spells known(more than a sorcerer of the same level, I mean)?

Also, about races. I've heard a lot about dragonwrought kobold, but couldn't really understand how it works, and then there are some benefits one could have by, say, getting a part-dragon substitution level on level 1, as your familiar will be close to useless.

I thought I'd be making him an "immortal mage", just for flavor, but then... Not sure whether getting Necropolitan would fit in. If I'll go on the shadowcraft path, staying in a city could be possible with so many illusions and all, but that might be more trouble than it's worth(also, not entirely sure on how much it'd affect me, other than being undead and ageless).

Well, I thought MotAO was better than it actually is, so it's time to find alternatives. I'll be going for lunch now, after I come back I'll look for some alternatives, maybe getting shadowcraft mage 5 or so.

bjornvikingholt

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »
Well, for immortal mage flavor and more spell known, you can take a look at sandshaper in sandstorm.
Over 10 levels you gain immortality of a sort, some good bonuses, and around 3 spells of every spell level added to your list.
the downsides are loosing 2 caster levels

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 03:24:12 PM »
Don't take the last level.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »
Psions make much better sorcerers than sorcerers.

How about telepath 5 (with the telepathy ACF)/constructor 9/anarchic initiate X, taking Astral Construct and Psionic Minor Creation via research or Expanded Knowledge?

You'll be about as flexible as you could ever hope to be, and you'll get a lot of potential powers that can better the sorcerer spells' flexibility while only spending single power-slots rather than multiple spell-slots (see: Summon Monster I-IX vs Astral Construct).

You'd be AMAZED at how many problems you can solve using nothing but Astral Construct, Psionic Minor Creation, Time Hop, and Psionic Charm.

Alternately, forgo the telepathy and go shaper to save yourself some headaches with expanding your power list. Metacreativity is insanely flexible.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:14:25 AM »

+1. Just want to add that Attraction can be a passable substitute for Psionic Charm. Its uses are more limited but for non-Telepaths who don't want to/can't research Psionic Charm or who don't want to spend the feat to learn it, it's a fair alternative.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 01:35:09 AM »

How about telepath 5 (with the telepathy ACF)/constructor 9/anarchic initiate X, taking Astral Construct and Psionic Minor Creation via research or Expanded Knowledge?

You'll be about as flexible as you could ever hope to be, and you'll get a lot of potential powers that can better the sorcerer spells' flexibility while only spending single power-slots rather than multiple spell-slots (see: Summon Monster I-IX vs Astral Construct).

You'd be AMAZED at how many problems you can solve using nothing but Astral Construct, Psionic Minor Creation, Time Hop, and Psionic Charm.

Alternately, forgo the telepathy and go shaper to save yourself some headaches with expanding your power list. Metacreativity is insanely flexible.

i think you can also go shaper 5, take ek: psionic charm, and finally take a 1 lvl mindbender dip @ level 6.   the telepathy that class gives is better imo.  dont forget about mindsight!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »

i think you can also go shaper 5, take ek: psionic charm, and finally take a 1 lvl mindbender dip @ level 6.   the telepathy that class gives is better imo.  dont forget about mindsight!
That's not a bad idea at all.

Alternately, there's erudite, but I wouldn't play with it unless you're starting at a reasonably high level where you have lots of Unique Powers Per Day available.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]