Author Topic: Levels at which abilities are expected  (Read 8029 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: Levels at which abilities are expected
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
savage ghost progression gets incorporeality/etherealness, and a fly speed at level 1  (among other things)

divine minion template gets wildshape at level 1

pun pun gets everything at level 1

So we have a solution! Just a joke, mind you.

Handy Links

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 10:31:39 PM »
savage ghost progression gets incorporeality/etherealness, and a fly speed at level 1  (among other things)

A solution that is one part fishy and three parts cheese.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 10:39:35 PM »

A solution that is one part fishy and three parts cheese.
Pun-Pun cheesy? But it works according to the rules!

Handy Links

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 12:58:14 AM »
I'm very in favor of this, but we need a range of earliest to the 'anyone can do it' ECL at the upper range. Prime are you going to be editing the OP to keep this up?

If this route is taken, then it should be easy to do the "anyone can do it" as a function of magic items and wealth.
Also like to mention that freedom of movement is gotten at 5th via heart of water.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 01:45:54 AM »
Instead of showing the lowest level you can get this stuff, how about the lowest level at which enemies start appearing with the abilities that need counters?

+1. I'd find it more useful to know when I need a counter rather than build a character that has it at level X.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 02:50:57 AM »
anthropomorphic bat (la=0) has flight at first level, as do certain hengeyokai.

awakened animals can have flight, but i seem to vaguely recall that that might not count as first level in certain cases.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

MalcolmSprye

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 02:59:04 AM »
For the invisibility question(ignoring invisibility that is)... I've never seen anyone on these boards mention the Illusion Bane Weapon enchant. Is there a reason?  For a +1 mod, you ignore the effects of: blur, displacement, invisibility, and mirror image (and probably others I don't know about).  Those miss chances make up a lot of the personal defense that I see people talking about for casters.  Is there something wrong with it?

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 04:55:45 AM »
The pesronal mind blank can be had at L11 if you research it, or at L13 via Expanded Knowledge.

The spell blindsight (Cle3/Dru3, Spell Compendium 32) can be cast at L5.  The Diamond Mind5 stance Hearing the Air also grants 30' blindsight.

A psicrystal with Mindsight can effectively grant its master Mindsight at L1.  (Go go mental link!)

Toughsight, a L3 Psion power, also grants effective Blindsight.  You can even see people with the Darkstalker feat.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 10:51:29 PM »
I have a lot of ecl listings for abilities in my "lists of stuff" thread.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:22 AM »
Instead of showing the lowest level you can get this stuff, how about the lowest level at which enemies start appearing with the abilities that need counters?

Of course, this will almost inevitably be from spellcasters, except for a few edge cases such as incorporeality (from shadows, I imagine).
This sounds more sensible.

I'm very in favor of this, but we need a range of earliest to the 'anyone can do it' ECL at the upper range. Prime are you going to be editing the OP to keep this up?
...yeah, probably not. :ninja
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Allow me to add in my corrections.

Ability Level Example sources (minimum character level)
Flight 2 Ghost(2)
Ignore all DR3(ex) Energy damage + Ghost (3)
Ignore incorporeality3Serren arrows + Ghost (3)
Ignore ethereality3Ghost (2)
Ignore invisibility3Torch bug paste +Ghost(3)
Ignore movement restrictions2Ghost (2)
Immunity to [Death]2Ghost (2)
Immunity to plain old regular death2Ghost (6)
Immunity to [Mind-affecting]2Ghost (2)
Immunity to Petrification2All the ones I can find require fort saves, so Ghost(2)
Immunity to Poison2Ghost(2)
Immunity to Disease2Ghost(2)
Immunity to Fear2Ghost(2)
Immunity to Angry Mob of Commoners with Pitchforks, torches, and Slings2Ghost(2)

This only confirms what I've been saying.  At high levels, ghost really does grant the [functional] subtype.

On the more useful side of things

-Mirror image can be countered with acid flasks very cheaply and effectively.  Torch bug paste is amazing as an illusion counter.
-You can get flight from being some kinds of planetouched.  Like air mephlings or fey'ri or gloamlings or aasimar with the right feats
-dealing with traps should probably be listed
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:37:10 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

MalcolmSprye

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen people talk about immunity to ability damage.  What sorts of stuff grant that?

Also, regarding torch bug paste, that's pretty cool(and I'll definitely be looking into getting some in my current campaign), but from it's description it wouldn't help against mirror image (at least my reading of faerie fire doesn't seem to include mirror image, since it's not actually concealment). Against a caster you're looking at 2 full rounds to deal with invisibility + mirror images(take out torch bug paste, throw it, take out acid flask, throw it).  At which point, when you go to charge them, they put mirror image back up as an immediate action.  So yah... still not sure why illusion bane doesn't get mentioned for beat sticks.  That's a lot of action economy, which could be the difference between a clean kill, and getting bogged down in BFC.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
As a general rule of thumb, I go with the level after prepared casters get access to it. By then they should have enough slots of that level to memorize it reliably and also by then they are able to provide the spell for item crafting purposes (npc or beatstick pays the xp).
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 03:24:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen people talk about immunity to ability damage.  What sorts of stuff grant that?
Ghost?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »
I'd like to see this thread get back on track, which isn't lowest possible level. We already have lists like that. This is "Levels at which abilities are expected". For example, you could gain flight from Alter Self at 3rd level, but I'd consider flight to be expected at 5th or 6th level when casters can get Fly and the druid gets wildshape.

This has already been said, I just want to see it happen.   :rollseyes

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 04:29:46 PM »
It would be cool to have an average and a standard deviation, from 'made to get at 1st level' to 'purchased with wealth by a fighter' sorta things. Like long-duration flight ... is gotten average of 7 or 8 and has a standard deviation of 2 or so (alter self fairly common, but not as much; ghosts and anthropomorphic winged things even less common; phantom steed granting it with a fair duration to anyone who pays for a caster's pearl of power at 14th or figures out some means of boosting caster level ...) even if standard deviation is perhaps the wrong word here. Something to indicate resource investment.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 06:57:39 PM »
Against a caster you're looking at 2 full rounds to deal with invisibility + mirror images(take out torch bug paste, throw it, take out acid flask, throw it).  At which point, when you go to charge them, they put mirror image back up as an immediate action. 
Invisibility can't be combined with mirror image. 

And acid flasks are probably worth wasting one of your iteratives, provided you can sleight of hand them or something.  Or have a disposable creature just drop one.
Planetouched Handbook

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 07:47:32 PM »
Invisibility can't be combined with mirror image. 

Whoa! Look at all of these invisible people! I wonder which one I'll go after...
I'm so confused.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

MalcolmSprye

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »
I thought mirror image mirrored your current appearance.  So if you're invisible... yah it does nothing... but if you're invisible, but glowing with faerie fire... then your images should look like invisible things glowing with faerie fire.  Is that wrong?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »
I thought mirror image mirrored your current appearance.  So if you're invisible... yah it does nothing... but if you're invisible, but glowing with faerie fire... then your images should look like invisible things glowing with faerie fire.  Is that wrong?

I believe there's a clause in the spell itself that says mirror image does nothing if you're invisible.
Planetouched Handbook