Author Topic: Star Wars Saga Edition (God I need help!)  (Read 14454 times)

Rekcuf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Star Wars Saga Edition (God I need help!)
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:36:26 AM »
Anyone here play SW Saga?  Campaign is just about to end and I've never played this before.  The group decided to go this route.

We're going the Sith Tradition line and the timeframe is a little before the Old Republic.

Can anyone help me make a Sith using the core book?  Thanks in advance!

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Star Wars Saga Edition (God I need help!)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:06:55 PM »
What do you mean by a Sith?  Especially old republic timeline.  An elite trooper?  A intel officer?  or a dark jedi, red lightsaber swinging badass?  Also, really core only?  Or is your GM using (and letting you use) any of the era sourcebooks?  (It matters)

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »
The use the force skill is ridiculously good. Whatever you do, maximize your ranks in it.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

tealjohn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:25:56 PM »
If you're going combat go two weapon fighting (taking all three dual weapon masteries), take rapid strike, and get the force power battle strike, also there's a sith talent called dark healing which is way more boss then it was in the Kotor games. Also nothing beats Force Lightning at low levels. & max out use force. a lot. I'm taking skill focus max out use force (which is a +5 btw).
STUPID TWOS!!!!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »
Whatever you do, see about nabbing Force Lightning. It's quite nice.

A three level dip into Scout for Evasion and Fringe Savant would also be quite helpful.

Rekcuf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:34:37 PM »
We're starting out just using the core book.  It's supposed to expand over time.

The party is following the Sith Tradition in the Old Republic era.  Don't have to PLAY Sith, but we're on their side.  I will probably go the Jedi route since no one else in the party is.  We have one guy who's going Noble/Soldier, another who's starting out as a Scoundrel and a scout

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:55:29 PM »
Pay Attention to the Multiclassing rules.  They're different enough to trip you up, if you're not careful.  I'd pick a theme, for your force guy, be it blasting with force lightning, and sucking the life out of people with drain, or just chopping them into bits with lightsabers.

You can refluff the Jedi base class as being specific sith training, along the same lines.  They do it all the time with the NPCs.  Alternatively, if starting above level 7, see if you can play a Jedi who falls to the Sith side.  The Jedi Knight PrC gives you access to unique talents you can't get from being Sith (Lightsaber Forms).  Alternatively, try to convince your GM to let you take a lightsaber form or two anyway.  It's very plausible, given the time frame, and the presence of rebel jedi with the Sith forces.

A little more guidance would be helpful.  Ie, what are we optimizing you /towards/?  But in general ... armor is useless, unless you're an NPC or spend at least 2 talents on it (and preferably, get the lightsaber resistant cortosis/phrick template).  Use the Force is an incredibly awesome skill.  With the right talents, you can use it to replace: Perception, Initiative, Deception, Persuade, Pilot and possibly more (that's just off the top of my head).  As well, it's the trigger for using most of your force powers.  A decent to good charisma and skill focus are highly recommended.

A dirty trick, if/when your ability to take force powers expands a little.  Drain Energy (I think it's called) lets you suck the power out of a droid or battery (Not absorb energy, though that's kinda nifty as well).  It doesn't target an opponent's defense, even on a held object.  Just a static DC.  And Jedi generally don't carry extra batteries for their lightsabers.   :D

Rekcuf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 12:11:38 AM »
We're starting at level 1

56 point buy for stats.

No clue which is the best way to go.   I want to be able to rape face... So, as a Sith... what would be the best way to do this?  Lightsaber combat, blast or drain?  I imagine they would all have their upsides... 

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 01:21:41 AM »
Use the Force is an incredibly awesome skill.  With the right talents, you can use it to replace: Perception, Initiative, Deception, Persuade, Pilot and possibly more (that's just off the top of my head).  As well, it's the trigger for using most of your force powers.  A decent to good charisma and skill focus are highly recommended.

This.

If you have ridiculous enough stats you can quite possibly use all three rape options.

With a 56 point buy I'd do this:

Str:  16
Dex:  14
Con:  15
Int:  14
Wis:  16
Cha:  18

Each time you get your two level-based stat bumps, one goes into Charisma, until it hits 22.  The other one can first shore up Con, then the rest can go into Wisdom if you find you prefer force powers or Strength if you find you prefer lightsaber combat.
Be a human Jedi, start with at least one Force Training, and probably Skill Focus (Use the Force).  That feat is more or less mandatory if you plan to do anything with force powers, especially if you are starting at low levels.  With a decent enough Charisma nobody's defenses will be high enough to resist you.  It's almost campaign-breaking, so be careful. 

If it looks like core will be your only option, pick up Weapon Focus and Specialization (lightsabers), in preparation for going into Jedi Knight for the Juyo talent.  Once per encounter, you can spend one Force point, pick a target, and roll twice the first attack you make against him every round for the rest of the encounter AND keep the better result.  It's probably the best lightsaber talent in any book.  Also consider the Soresu talent, which basically the same thing for every time you Block or Deflect (Block and Deflect are also probably mandatory if you are using a lightsaber, since your own defenses will likely be crap).

If it looks like Threats of the Galaxy will be available you can skip Jedi Knight and get the same thing from Sith Apprentice using the Stolen Form talent from that book.  Otherwise, Jedi Knights don't lose anything for later gaining dark side points, and nothing says that you can't study the Jedi ways and also be a Sith (and/or a former Jedi).  Like others have said, you will probably want Dark Healing from Sith Apprentice anyway.  Dark Side Adpet, which lets you reroll Use the Force checks for dark side powers may be worth it as well, even if Force Lightning is your only dark side power.
See about expanding your books as soon as possible.  The real showstopping abilities, like Force Thrusting an AT-ST into the stormtrooper regimen behind it and using Move Object to tear low-flying starfighters out of the sky, come from the Force Unleashed book (those powers require you to use the Destiny character option, so plan for it if that appeals to you).

Also note that if your character has basically no morals, a cleverly worded Mind Trick can replace most social interaction as well, depending on how the DM interprets the entry.

Specifically this:

-"You make an otherwise unpalatable suggestion seem completely reasonable to the target."  and "The target won't realize later that what it did was unacceptable."

Seriously.  The only way to balance this is to explain to your DM that "Infiltrating the enemy base" should be one big long encounter so you aren't tempted to just tell every guard you see that you are part of a surprise inspection team and belong here ("Of course you don't need to see my identification..." /handwave).

EDIT:  Also note that if you DM is not adjusting things to allow you to play bad guys, Sith Apprentice and all related classes have insanely stringent requirements.  the general rules state that if your Dark side score ever exceeds your Wisdom score the DM is supposed to take over your character and have you reroll.  Sith Apprentice requires your Dark side score to equal your wisdom score just to qualify for it, and takes away all your abilities/feats/powers that you gained from levels in that class if that ever changes.
Essentially what this means is that by RAW, the moment you use Force Lightning as a Sith Apprentice you must atone for it by spending a Force point immediately or lose your character.  In addition, upon leveling up and putting a stat point into Wisdom, you must then immediately kill a kitten.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:28:13 AM by Tonymitsu »

tealjohn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 01:27:41 AM »
Lightsaber combat will yield the most damage, especially with access to all the other source books, specifically the jedi training manual. Its also very important to have the block and deflect talents, because getting hit means dropping down the condition track, and that sucks. Also as a side note, you can make ranged attacks with grenades using the move light object application of the use force skill to deal an additional 1d6 damage to the person you strike with the grenade. It works great for low levels.
STUPID TWOS!!!!

Pimpforged

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »
The Jedi Knight PrC gives you access to unique talents you can't get from being Sith (Lightsaber Forms).  Alternatively, try to convince your GM to let you take a lightsaber form or two anyway.  It's very plausible, given the time frame, and the presence of rebel jedi with the Sith forces.

Actually, in the Monster Manual (can't remember what it's actually called) under Darth Maul's entry, there's randomly a sith apprentice talent that lets you take lightsaber forms

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 03:13:55 PM »
Force Lightning is 8d6 with an automatic step down the condition track. You gain a dark side point (which you are able to ignore after a while if you want to), but you're already going to be on Team Evil so there's no downside.
Force Lightning is basically the most overpowered thing at low levels this side of... well, anything.
So yeah, as others have said:

Use it.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Rekcuf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:48:46 PM »
Wow!

All very constructive comments!  I'm going to talk to the DM today and find out if he'll allow us some more books.  He IS making sanctions for us playing Darkside like removing the "if you get too many darkside points" portion.

Rekcuf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »
Once I get a definitive on books, I'm going to put together a base build.  Please bare with me for critiques.  Thanks everyone!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
The Jedi Knight PrC gives you access to unique talents you can't get from being Sith (Lightsaber Forms).  Alternatively, try to convince your GM to let you take a lightsaber form or two anyway.  It's very plausible, given the time frame, and the presence of rebel jedi with the Sith forces.

Actually, in the Monster Manual (can't remember what it's actually called) under Darth Maul's entry, there's randomly a sith apprentice talent that lets you take lightsaber forms
That would be Threats of the Galaxy, IIRC.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »
I barely have any experience at all in Saga, but it didn't take me long to figure out that dropping enemies on the condition track = win.

Also Move Object = win
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Being Batman...with chainsaw bearchucks
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 11:12:23 PM »
At low levels, force powers = win.  (for that matter, anything game-changing that you've got skill-focus in)

At higher levels, the name of the game is lightsaber.

That in mind...You're of the Sith tradition.  Dark Rage, and the Improved Dark Rage Force Technique will help you quite a bit.  Burning a force point on it lets it last the whole encounter.  So for the price of one power, one level, and one force point (and with Force Point Recovery, even the force point's free), you get a free bigtime hit and damage buff.

Or you could just spam lightning until your DM starts giving everything shields.  =P
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
Seems like a good place to put these questions, im in the middle of making a Zeison Sha Character starting with level 2 but going through to at least 16, what base class would work best with it, at the moment im looking at soldier or scoundrel and do they add str to their thrown weapons i can't find the ruling anywhere.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »
At low levels, force powers = win.  (for that matter, anything game-changing that you've got skill-focus in)

At higher levels, the name of the game is lightsaber.

That in mind...You're of the Sith tradition.  Dark Rage, and the Improved Dark Rage Force Technique will help you quite a bit.  Burning a force point on it lets it last the whole encounter.  So for the price of one power, one level, and one force point (and with Force Point Recovery, even the force point's free), you get a free bigtime hit and damage buff.

Or you could just spam lightning until your DM starts giving everything shields.  =P

Remember that while Force powers completely wtfpwn everybody at low levels, at high levels they don't work at all offensively without stupid shenanigans. And by shenanigans I mean you abuse the Jedi Master's Serenity ability. Which, if you're doing that, you might as well grab Fringe Savant as well. Scout 3/Jedi X/Jedi Master 1 is viable and will get the job done. Grab the Baran Do tradition talent that lets you use Wisdom in place of Dexterity for your Reflex defense whenever you'd lost your Dex bonus to negate the drawback of Serenity.

However, you can go the buff route and beat people to death with lightsabers route just fine without it.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Being Batman...with chainsaw bearchucks
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »
Scout levels also can do one other marvelous thing for a Jedi character: EVASION.  What two major tricks will people use against a lightsaber wielder?  Try to overwhelm their defense with lots of fire (Autofire) and throw grenades.  With Evasion, you take half damage on a hit and no damage on a miss.  This stacks with the Deflect halving the damage on Autofire attacks, meaning that if you successfully deflect an autofire attack, you take no damage.  Admittedly more of a defensive fighter thing, but if I've got any room in a build I find a way to get Evasion.  Because it is just that good in this game.
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.