Author Topic: CR Appropriate encounters Arena.  (Read 36264 times)

Sir Giacomo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: CR Appropriate encounters Arena.
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2011, 06:14:27 PM »
What kind of challenges should a group of 4 level 13 characters be able to overcome in your view?

- Giacomo
Defeating CR 13 monsters should be routine, and the party should be able to handle EL 16 encounters.  All locks, non-magical traps, and misc. non-magical obstacles should be non-events.  Magical obstacles of about 5th level and lower should be handled with similar ease, although it might require some use of resources.  All non-epic magical obstacles should be able to be handled, such as AMFs, traps casting 9th-level spells, and any of the multitude of effects that block planar travel.  While it's not a non-event, Death should be handled in a somewhat routine fashion.

Another thing I'd like to note is that I'll accept parties varying in size from 3-6 people.  The challenges you face will be more numerous with a larger party size.

Sounds reasonable (at least a bit more specific than the kobold idea...  ;) )
Is this view being shared by more posters?

- Giacomo

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »
What kind of challenges should a group of 4 level 13 characters be able to overcome in your view?

- Giacomo
Defeating CR 13 monsters should be routine, and the party should be able to handle EL 16 encounters.  All locks, non-magical traps, and misc. non-magical obstacles should be non-events.  Magical obstacles of about 5th level and lower should be handled with similar ease, although it might require some use of resources.  All non-epic magical obstacles should be able to be handled, such as AMFs, traps casting 9th-level spells, and any of the multitude of effects that block planar travel.  While it's not a non-event, Death should be handled in a somewhat routine fashion.

Another thing I'd like to note is that I'll accept parties varying in size from 3-6 people.  The challenges you face will be more numerous with a larger party size.

Sounds reasonable (at least a bit more specific than the kobold idea...  ;) )
Is this view being shared by more posters?

- Giacomo

Yeah, that's what I'd say as well.

Ah, that one. Allowed, but I'm removing your summons ability to create spanws under the "no calling spells/leadership/free minions" clause.

Off course.

What about clerics that Rebuke or Use Animate Dead? Can I have some undead minions with me if I could reasonably easily have defeated them and if I pay the Material component from my WBL? Or is it the same deal as that?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »
What about clerics that Rebuke or Use Animate Dead? Can I have some undead minions with me if I could reasonably easily have defeated them and if I pay the Material component from my WBL? Or is it the same deal as that?

If you pay the onyx from the cleric's pocket and it's undeads of something that was  below your current level before being animated, yes. Like said on the OP, no fire giant skeletons if you're lv7, even if you try to argue you could've easily defeated them.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2011, 11:32:21 PM »
What's your take on the Mystic Theurge-Precocious Apprentice cheese?
Oh, and Ultimate Magus-Practiced Spellcaster one?
Is it too cheezy?
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »
Is it too cheezy?
...cheezy?  If you don't, you wind up 3-4 levels behind in your primary spellcasting class.  If you're a Wizard/Archivist, then that drops you to at least tier 2 and maybe tier 3.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2011, 09:13:38 AM »

If you pay the onyx from the cleric's pocket and it's undeads of something that was  below your current level before being animated, yes. Like said on the OP, no fire giant skeletons if you're lv7, even if you try to argue you could've easily defeated them.

Feral Tyrannosauri (CR9 and very easy to kill for a master of shrouds or a wizard) good enough for you? How about a Hydra with the appropriate amount of heads? Or what about Legendary Bears?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:21:24 AM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2011, 09:34:28 AM »
Is it too cheezy?
...cheezy?  If you don't, you wind up 3-4 levels behind in your primary spellcasting class.  If you're a Wizard/Archivist, then that drops you to at least tier 2 and maybe tier 3.
Which would be better for (de)buffing then: Beguiler 1/Wizard 4/Ultimate Magus 2 or Wizard 1/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 3?
If this will work (this team that I'm creating will somehow win the encounter), I'm going to advance those PCs to 13th level and try again.
If they lose, I will rearenge feats, levels, spells and items and try again. Hope oslecamo will not mind.
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #188 on: April 05, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »
Is it too cheezy?
...cheezy?  If you don't, you wind up 3-4 levels behind in your primary spellcasting class.  If you're a Wizard/Archivist, then that drops you to at least tier 2 and maybe tier 3.
Which would be better for (de)buffing then: Beguiler 1/Wizard 4/Ultimate Magus 2 or Wizard 1/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 3?
If this will work (this team that I'm creating will somehow win the encounter), I'm going to advance those PCs to 13th level and try again.
If they lose, I will rearenge feats, levels, spells and items and try again. Hope oslecamo will not mind.

A little on the extreme side but allowed.

Mixster:
Refreshing you on the OP

If you want to animate something, it better be readily accessible, and usually travel in packs with a lower EL than your level, so no, your level 5 character cannot have a Fire Giant Skeleton.

Aka no, rare specimens like templated creatures, hydras with just the right number of heads and legendary beings are not ok for you to start with. Even if you choose them specifically because they're vulnerable to your tricks.