Author Topic: How does this work?  (Read 3135 times)

Gattack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
How does this work?
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:00:23 AM »
I've heard from a friend that he could use the Domain Wizard from UA, be a Grey Elf, and use the substitution wizard level, and could throw level nine spells at level one. I've seen all of those, though I haven't looked deeply into domain, but I can't figure out how this works. Can someone please explain? Thanks.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: How does this work?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:54:37 AM »
This should probably be in the 'break it, buy it' subforum.

That said, i've never heard of that, and i'm pretty sure that elven generalist 1 (only elf sub level I can think of), domain wizard, and grey elf do not let you use 9th level spells at level 1.

The only thing I can think of is that your friend is misreading 'can cast spells from this domain' to mean 'can cast the 9th level spells from this list at level 1 even though many other things say you can't'.

It doesn't mean that.

Gattack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:34:49 AM »
He said you needed something else. Versatile Caster, maybe?

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »
A first level wizard doesn't qualify for Versatile Caster (you have to be a spontaneous caster).

If possible, you should get your friend to be much, much more specific.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:48:46 AM »
I've heard from a friend that he could use the Domain Wizard from UA, be a Grey Elf, and use the substitution wizard level, and could throw level nine spells at level one. I've seen all of those, though I haven't looked deeply into domain, but I can't figure out how this works. Can someone please explain? Thanks.

You may have misread his claim, or in general misunderstood it.  As that combo nets nine spells at level one, assuming a high enough Int (and possibly more...IIRC the elf would get one extra per level, as would being a Domain wizard, assuming he's able to let the DM have those stack, and then the remaining 5 would come from an Int of 20 at level 1).  So yes, nine spells, and technically nine spell levels, but not Level Nine spells.  :D
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »
Int 20 only gives 2 extra 1st-level spells, not 5.

I remember something like this a while back. It had something to do with the wording interactions between domain wizard (+1 spell of each level you have up) and elf generalist (+1 spell of the highest level you can cast), which, when combined with a spell level booster (Earth Spell/Heighten or Sanctum Spell) would piggyback off of each other as high as you wanted. I don't remember the details, sorry.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Gattack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »
I found how he said it worked. Versatile Spellcaster, using that Alacritous Cogitation to qualify, using a flaw, and then give up two first level slots to get a second, generalist gives you second, gain a 2nd level domain slot, Generalist grants 2nd level slot, spend two 2nd slots to cast a 3rd level spell, gain a 3rd level domain slot, Generalist grants 3rd level slot spend two 3rd slots to cast a 4th level spell, and so on 'till you get ninth level spells, and the way I figure you'd get 3 9th slots, one slot for each level 2-8. Does this work?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »
I found how he said it worked. Versatile Spellcaster, using that Alacritous Cogitation to qualify, using a flaw, and then give up two first level slots to get a second, generalist gives you second, gain a 2nd level domain slot, Generalist grants 2nd level slot, spend two 2nd slots to cast a 3rd level spell, gain a 3rd level domain slot, Generalist grants 3rd level slot spend two 3rd slots to cast a 4th level spell, and so on 'till you get ninth level spells, and the way I figure you'd get 3 9th slots, one slot for each level 2-8. Does this work?

Eh...I think myself/Archmage Joda/The Mad Linguist concluded that Versatile Spellcaster can't piggyback off itself like this.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:44:09 PM »
AFB, but if I recall correctly, Versatile Spellcaster lets you use two spell slots to cast a spell one level higher - it does not actually grant you a spell slot.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »
AFB, but if I recall correctly, Versatile Spellcaster lets you use two spell slots to cast a spell one level higher - it does not actually grant you a spell slot.

Exactly, thus why it can't piggyback itself.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Archao

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »
Quote from: Races of the Wild p157
The elf wizard may also prepare one additional spell of her highest spell level each day.

The player could argue that gaining a higher slot gives him one from the Elf Sub, but if I were the DM (I'm not) it'd be easy to say "You've used your slot, you only get one."

To be honest, this player sounds like a RAW abuser. In this sort of situation, I like to remember that RAW is a myth.

Gattack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 10:56:54 PM »
Oh. I'm kinda disappointed. I was hoping that'd work, it'd be awesome.

We were having sort of a RAW discussion, so yeah. That was why he was saying a Wizard could out-perform a StP Erudite. Can it?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 11:01:36 PM »
Take Collegiate Wizard and Precocious Apprentice. Sell your spellbook. Then buy a scroll of simulacrum or ice assassin and grant yourself 3 wishes/day through the use of an efreeti.

I'm sure you can manage 9th level spells in a day or two.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]