Author Topic: In need of suggestions  (Read 5671 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: In need of suggestions
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 04:54:43 AM »
The Worm That Walks?
No, the guy who was all "uhh dudes, you know you don't need to worship the gods to get divine spells, right?", and the gods were all like "HERESY!" and then he was all "you guys are massive dicks, blaargh I is dead"
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 11:31:12 AM »
The Worm That Walks?
No, the guy who was all "uhh dudes, you know you don't need to worship the gods to get divine spells, right?", and the gods were all like "HERESY!" and then he was all "you guys are massive dicks, blaargh I is dead"
Sounds like a character I'd want to run.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 01:16:18 PM »
I do believe that racial deities are the only ones with racial domains, and racial deities require you to be of the race in question.
Play a Cleric with no deity at all.

Handy Links

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »
The Worm That Walks?
Serrotus is the name.  As an extra bonus, since he's an Elder Evil, you get bonus feats if you worship him.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
I do believe that racial deities are the only ones with racial domains, and racial deities require you to be of the race in question.
Play a Cleric with no deity at all.

A female gnome cloistered cleric/divine oracle with the Kobold and Trickery domains.  :)

She's a crazy kobold fangirl whose suicidal fascination triggers her to learn ways of mitigating traps and disguising her gnomish nature. She aspires to the power to cast Polymorph Any Object to change into ... a kobold.

(Serious recommendation: If you find 6+int skill points too many, Divine Oracle might be a fun PrC.)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 08:31:51 PM »
I see no flaw in that plan. Well done.

Handy Links

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »
An artificer(ECB) can be a decent trap finder, and if built right, a blastificer can seriously lay out some damage, but I'm unsure of how it would interact with the campaign's XP situation...

Here is a link that might be worth while to take a look at when choosing your race. Check out Stormwrack for underwater campaign rules that might be of some help.
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 10:42:01 PM »
^Yeah, that XP thing is kind of weird and I'm not sure how my DM would react if I make an Artificer, which burns XP all the time for everything... Though I must say I'm not that interested in playing one.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm still not sure what I'll do in the end, although I still have time before we start (probably, like, 1-2 month(s)). I'll try to make something in the next few days and post it to see if it could get pimped a bit more. o:
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 06:48:51 AM »
Fighter guy has read ToB more accuratly recently and will go for Swordsage something. I'll point out DFI and shit to our Bard. I'm assuming hp offense is covered, so I'm thinking my char needs to be a "toolbox" of some sorts, while still being a capable scout, helping in fights w/ a "God"-esque role.

I'm having a hard time thinking a build up that doesn't involve some tier 1 class, and I'd prefer not have to play one of those... :/
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 10:20:56 AM »
... Toolbox, scouting, and god spells without being tier 1?

Go Beguiler. Honestly. Consider dipping Mindbender for Telepathy and Mindsight.

If you find yourself really craving spells off the list, it's one of those classes that can benefit well from things that expand spell lists.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:25:54 AM by Kajhera »

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »

A literal toolbox could be a Warforged Shaper, taking a level in something with Trapfinding. Factotum would be my pick. Tremedous variety of what you can do.

If you go the Beguiler route check with your GM with how Illusions function underwater. I had issues with a GM once about that nonsense  :rollseyes

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 01:24:58 AM »
I've never really tried out plain Beguiler, but on paper their cloaked casting looks quite underwhelming and probably is, so I'll probably want to PrC out as fast as possible. I'm thinking about Human Beguiler 1 w/ Able Learner, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell and Versatile Spellcaster for cheesy entry into Rainbow Servant, then dipping Mindbender @12 for Mindsight, and then what? Not sure about feats too... I guess I should use an Aquatic Human and use Air Breathing when we'll be out of water, though thematically an aquatic Human into Rainbow Servant is kinda weird, but who cares. :rollseyes All in all, I've never had any inspiration when it comes to Beguilers..

I like that Warforged Shaper idea. Maybe something like Factotum 1/Shaper 5/Constructor 10/Full Manifesting 4. Feats selection shouldn't be too hard, considering how supported Psionics are, book-wise.. Her manifesting progression is quite delayed but she still gets 9th level powers, got a bunch of skill points and careful selection of powers should help with cross-class skills and shit, there's Practiced Manifester for lost MLs, plus living construct traits. And Warforgeds are a pretty cool race too, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to play one since this campaign is supposed to take place in the (Forgotten) Realms and there are thematics issues here. I could probably work out something with my DM. [edit] Or alternatively, Factotum 1/Shaper 5 (w/ Personal Construct ACF)/Constructor 9/Full Manifesting 5 (Shaper +5?). Mhm.[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:27:01 PM by Shiki »
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week: