Author Topic: Psion Gish  (Read 11564 times)

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Psion Gish
« on: March 13, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »
Building a Psion Gish, trying to maintain 17 ML (Level 9 Powers) and +16 BAB (4 attacks). I'm going for the agile, unarmored sort of fighter.

DM-approved variant rules I'm using:
[UA] Flaw Feats (Max of 2)
[UA] Fighting Schools Monk variant

Considering the use of Decisive Strike, not sure about it

My DM is allowing it, but DOES Human Paragon increase ML? Most entries read "+1 existing arcane", "+1 existing divine" or "+1 existing spellcasting", whereas Human Paragon reads "+1 existing class" but the column is also titled SPELLCASTING, so I'm unsure.

This is the build I'm using right now, which is (almost) completely open to revision:

1   | Human Paragon 1 | Level Feat (Overchannel); Human Feat (Combat Expertise); Flaw Feat (Narrow Minded); Flaw Feat (Improved Trip)
2   | Monk 1                  | Monk Feat (Improved Unarmed Strike); Monk Feat (Combat Reflexes)
3   | Psion 1                  | Level Feat (Ascetic Psion); Psion Feat (Extend Power)
4   | Human Paragon 2 | Paragon Feat (Psicrystal Affinity)
5   | Psion 2                  |
6   | Psion 3                  | Level (Psicrystal Containment or Psionic Meditation)
7   | Psion 4                  |
8   | Psion 5                  |
9   | Anarchic Initiate 1 | Level Feat (Mindsight)
10 | Illithid Slayer 1      |
11 | Illithid Slayer 2      |
12 | Illithid Slayer 3      | Level Feat (Psicrystal Containment or Psionic Meditation)
13 | Illithid Slayer 4      |
14 | Illithid Slayer 5      |
15 | Illithid Slayer 6      | Level Feat (Practiced Manifester)
16 | Illithid Slayer 7      |
17 | Illithid Slayer 8      |
18 | Illithid Slayer 9      | Level Feat (Robilar's Gambit)
19 | Illithid Slayer 10    |
20 | Psion 6                  |

I'm unsure what I should take first - Psionic Meditation or Psicrystal Containment?

Are there any Powers I might be over looking that would be a huge boost to combat potential? Something in the same line as Divine Might or, as a last resort, Tenser's Transformation?

How does this stack up to usual Psionic Gish builds? the only part of this I'm absolutely set on is being a Psion gish with the Telepath Discipline. Vigor+ Overchannel+Inertial Armor is my main source of AC right now (+15 at level 20, as I understand it) and I love the AoO warrior, but if I need to sacrifice it to keep up with other fighters in direct-damage output I will. Would it be more effective to, instead, wear fullplate and focus on damage output (power attack, leap attack, pounce, etc.)?

The party is currently composed of a Half-Orc Fighter, an Elf Fighter, a Druid, and a Drow "Arachnomancer" (homebrewed between another player and the DM, some sort of Druid variant that substitutes a lot of the class features for vermin-related versions). This build isn't meant to only be used for this campaign, so I want to avoid anything setting or party -specific.
I feel that I'll become the face, if only because as a Telepath I can force people to love me.

I'm trying to avoid cheese. This is will be the second time my group has allowed psionics, and the last time involved an awakened psionic deer blowing up a dam and causing a TPK. The DM is tentative, but as long as I can pull of an arcane/divine version of "broken" powers the DM will be reasonable.

I'm not sure if I've been too specific, or too demanding, or too anything, so I apologize if I am. If you do sit down to read all this and respond, thanks for your time and advice.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:32:16 PM by Demelain »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Psion Gish
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »
Ask your DM if human paragon will advance manifesting. If s/he says yes, then go for it. If not, don't.

And I'd skip the level in monk. You're just losing out on manifester levels as it is, and more of that (and losing BAB to boot) is just a slap in the face. I would go with something like a neraph (from Planar Handbook) egoist (or telepath with Expanded Knowledge: Metamorphosis) psion 5/legacy champion 2/illithid slayer 1/legacy champion 8/illithid slayer 2/anarchic initiate 2 (or something else on those last 2 levels; the point is to use legacy champion to grant you legacy item abilities and slayer class abilities). See if you can't procure Track from your legacy item.

Then grab a psicrystal and buff both of you up. Make a psychoactive skin of proteus ASAP to give you utility and unlimited healing and go to town.

Take feats that you can use in conjunction with your powers and your ability to change form, such as Metamorphic Transfer, Darkstalker, Flyby Attack (and give your psicrystal some nice feats as it gains HD), and so on, then proceed to curbstomp your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their men and/or women.

Metamorphosis is an absolute must-have for a psion gish. Beyond that, take any powers that grant you additional flexibility and boosts in power when you need it (such as offensive/defensive precognition, greater concealing amorpha (!), vigor, share pain (share the latter two with your psicrystal for 5 temp hp per pp, and half damage to both of you), and make sure you also have sensory powers like touchsight available.

Oh, and the Linked Power feat (from CPsi) is, quite probably, the most important feat for a psionic gish period. Buff without using combat rounds by making use of swift and immediate action manifestations.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:09:29 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 10:17:54 PM »
And I'd skip the level in monk. You're just losing out on manifester levels as it is, and more of that (and losing BAB to boot) is just a slap in the face. I would go with something like a neraph (from Planar Handbook) egoist (or telepath with Expanded Knowledge: Metamorphosis) psion 5/legacy champion 2/illithid slayer 1/legacy champion 8/illithid slayer 2/anarchic initiate 2 (or something else on those last 2 levels; the point is to use legacy champion to grant you legacy item abilities and slayer class abilities). See if you can't procure Track from your legacy item.

Thanks, I was so focused on being a Telepath that I didn't really read what was on the other discipline lists. That should also invalidate some of my combat feats through new forms. But doesn't Illithid Slayer requires BAB +4, and Legacy Champion requires character level 10. Wouldn't I need Psion 8 just to qualify for Illithid Slayer, and then still have another two levels to go before Legacy Champion?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:28:55 PM by Demelain »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:28:26 PM »

Illithid Slayer requires BAB +4, and Legacy Champion requires character level 10. Wouldn't I need Psion 8 just to qualify for Illithid Slayer, and then still have another two levels to go before Legacy Champion?
Argh. I ought to look at prereqs more.

How about psion 6/ghostbreaker 1/illithid slayer 3/legacy champion 6/slayer 1/legacy champion 3 (progressing ghostbreaker)? Ghostbreaker is from Hyperconscious, grants full BAB and full manifesting.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:32:52 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:33:08 PM »
Okay, my editing skills suck. Sorry. Recheck the previous post.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »

Illithid Slayer requires BAB +4, and Legacy Champion requires character level 10. Wouldn't I need Psion 8 just to qualify for Illithid Slayer, and then still have another two levels to go before Legacy Champion?
Ghostbreaker is from Hyperconscious, grants full BAB and full manifesting.
Oh, wow. Thanks, mate. I'll have to find an online source for it, but that's fantastic. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in any of the threads I've visited. Maybe not the most useful class features, but +1 BAB/+1 Manifester and low entry requirements can't do anything but help.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:44:18 PM by Demelain »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:58:15 PM »

Ghostbreaker is from Hyperconscious, grants full BAB and full manifesting.
Oh, wow. Thanks, mate. I'll have to find an online source for it, but that's fantastic. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in any of the threads I've visited. Maybe not the most useful class features, but +1 BAB/+1 Manifester and low entry requirements can't do anything but help.
I'm the psi-guy around here (more or less).

And you're welcome.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 11:06:16 PM »
Too much love for Metamorphosis on your part though, IMO. Although it IS an awesome power... :rollseyes
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:09:01 PM »
Too much love for Metamorphosis on your part though, IMO. Although it IS an awesome power... :rollseyes
Considering what you can do with it, it's probably the most powerful and versatile power in the entire book.

The only one that even comes close is Psionic Minor Creation, really.

Which, if you pimp out your Craft (Poison) or Craft (Alchemy) skill, and gain immunity, is a great way to augment your attacks very cheaply.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »
Metamorphosis looks a lot like polymorph, which is the only thing that worries me. That's the sort of thing my DM will jump on, because Polymorph is, by far, one of the most abusable abilities.

Also, do you lose hitpoints from Vigor before or after actual hitpoints?

You said something about using the Legacy Item to qualify for the Track feat on Illithid Slayer.  Is that actually allowed, and if I lost the item, would I lose the benefits of the PrC?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 11:25:10 PM »
Metamorphosis looks a lot like polymorph, which is the only thing that worries me. That's the sort of thing my DM will jump on, because Polymorph is, by far, one of the most abusable abilities.
It IS a lot like Polymorph. In some ways, it's better, due to the ability to turn into objects and to use it regardless of whether you're living or not.

However, it's personal-only (and your psicrystal), so there's that.

But yes. You could always restrict yourself to a few combat and utility forms (and objects), telling your DM that you'll stick with those as you level. Only take the forms of creatures you've actually encountered, or something.

Tell the DM he can approve the forms you have access to, so he feels more in control of the situation.

They're temporary hp, so you lose those before your regular hp.

You said something about using the Legacy Item to qualify for the Track feat on Illithid Slayer.  Is that actually allowed, and if I lost the item, would I lose the benefits of the PrC?
The item is the amalgamation of both a feat and a PrC. Basically you're using the effects of one feat to qualify for another PrC.

As for losing the item, choose something that you can't lose, such as your warforged slam attack (if you go warforged) or a graft.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 11:33:51 PM »
It IS a lot like Polymorph. In some ways, it's better, due to the ability to turn into objects and to use it regardless of whether you're living or not.

However, it's personal-only (and your psicrystal), so there's that.

But yes. You could always restrict yourself to a few combat and utility forms (and objects), telling your DM that you'll stick with those as you level. Only take the forms of creatures you've actually encountered, or something.

Tell the DM he can approve the forms you have access to, so he feels more in control of the situation.

They're temporary hp, so you lose those before your regular hp.

You said something about using the Legacy Item to qualify for the Track feat on Illithid Slayer.  Is that actually allowed, and if I lost the item, would I lose the benefits of the PrC?
The item is the amalgamation of both a feat and a PrC. Basically you're using the effects of one feat to qualify for another PrC.

As for losing the item, choose something that you can't lose, such as your warforged slam attack (if you go warforged) or a graft.

Mhm, that's what I thought. I've got a good record for the Gentlemen's Agreement, so that should be fine. As long as I'm not turning into dragons or hydra for combat, I can't see it being a HUGE issue, and using it for utility (i.e. turning into a bird to reach high places, turning into a dragon to scare people, etc.) he probably won't call me on it.

Besides, the game isn't fun for anyone when you break it. This is my first time with a Psionic character, thanks for the help.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 11:37:08 PM »
Mhm, that's what I thought. I've got a good record for the Gentlemen's Agreement, so that should be fine. As long as I'm not turning into dragons or hydra for combat, I can't see it being a HUGE issue, and using it for utility (i.e. turning into a bird to reach high places, turning into a dragon to scare people, etc.) he probably won't call me on it.

Besides, the game isn't fun for anyone when you break it. This is my first time with a Psionic character, thanks for the help.
De nada.

Remember to give that psicrystal feats to make it better, since it has Int and gains hit dice. I suggest Darkstalker + Mindsight (which lets you skip Mindsight on your PC if you want, so you can go egoist instead) + Life Sense + Flyby Attack

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 11:44:59 PM »

De nada.

Remember to give that psicrystal feats to make it better, since it has Int and gains hit dice. I suggest Darkstalker + Mindsight (which lets you skip Mindsight on your PC if you want, so you can go egoist instead) + Life Sense + Flyby Attack

We're still debating whether or not Psicrystals get feats. My argument is that if it gains HD, and thus levels, and has an intelligence score it should gain feats. His argument is that if it gained feats they would state such. And that they are rocks.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 11:53:29 PM »

De nada.

We're still debating whether or not Psicrystals get feats. My argument is that if it gains HD, and thus levels, and has an intelligence score it should gain feats. His argument is that if it gained feats they would state such. And that they are rocks.
Well, RAW you are correct. As far as feats, they do have one. They gain Alertness as their first level feat. Note that they get this regardless of whether they're near their master or not.

As for being a rock...

Earth elementals are rocks. They gain feats.
Treants are trees. They gain feats.
Cows are made of salt. They gain feats.
Ragamuffins are clothing. They gain feats.
Wizards are made of win. They gain feats.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 12:00:42 AM »
They don't gain HD the regular way, as in they "level up"; their HD is the same as their master, which increase with levels; that's how they gain HD. They are creatures (construct) and they have an intelligence score, so they get the benefit of gaining HDs outside of hp (since their hp total is equal to 1/2 of their master's total hp), which are feats and ability score increases.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 12:01:07 AM »
there is a psionic adaptation for the abjurant champion prc from comp mage.  that is completely sick for a psionic character. see if you can work that out.  also... dont take psion, take erudite.... with the spell to power ability from the mind's eye internet article.  now you can get up to 8th level arcane spells, as manifested powers AND have all of your psion goodies to boot.  

try the build: fighter 1/erudite 6/anarchic initiate 3/ abjurant champion 5/ slayer 5.

yeah its a lot of erudite levels, but you kinda have to do that, erudite is funny... and dont worry about hp, because wih the vigor/share pain combo with your psicrystal you'll have more hp than anyone else in your party.  

finally, yes, Lycan is THE psionics guy.  his awesomeness far surpasses anyone elses easily.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 12:03:42 AM »
Didn't we just have a monk/psion thread?

Monastic Training(eberron) + Tashalatora(e:sos) = Psion levels stack with monk to determine everything useful the monk gets.
So, go Passive Way Monk 1 / Psion X / Shiba Protector 1 / Favorite Psionic Class Y

Passive Way Monk gives Compat Expertise for a bonus feat and your Psicrystal gives Alertness making qualification for Shiba a cakewalk.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 12:08:16 AM »
Didn't we just have a monk/psion thread?

Monastic Training(eberron) + Tashalatora(e:sos) = Psion levels stack with monk to determine everything useful the monk gets.
So, go Passive Way Monk 1 / Psion X / Shiba Protector 1 / Favorite Psionic Class Y

Passive Way Monk gives Compat Expertise for a bonus feat and your Psicrystal gives Alertness making qualification for Shiba a cakewalk.
Now, I'm a little confused on Tashalatora.  Does it stack for the CLASS levels, or the class MANIFESTING levels?

And Argenon, I appreciate, but out of all these options I AM set on Psion. Although, Psionic Abjurant Champion DOES sounds awesome. It was my favorite Arcane Gish class.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:12:00 AM by Demelain »

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 12:17:16 AM »
Now, I'm a little confused on Tashalatora.  Does it stack for the CLASS levels, or the class MANIFESTING levels?

"Your levels in the psionic class you selected for Monastic Training stack with your monk levels to determine your AC bonus, flurry of blows attacks, and unarmed damage from the monk class."

So.. class levels.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week: