Author Topic: Making a Tsochar character - class suggestions welcome  (Read 2845 times)

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Making a Tsochar character - class suggestions welcome
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:36:58 PM »
In preparation for a Planescape game slanted toward strange and exotic characters, I have my eye on the Tsochari from the Lords of Madness book. For those unfamiliar with them, they're tentacular creatures whose schtick is to invade the bodies of other creatures, either inhabiting them passively as a passenger or replacing their brain and nervous system in true body-snatcher fashion. In the latter case, they can cast the arcane spells known by the host, providing their own mental stats allow for it (though the spells cannot be refreshed).

They have 4 racial HD and are "LA: -", but they've been approved as a player race - might get stuck with more HD or LA before the game starts depending on the other characters, but that's up in the air for now.

What I'm wracking my brain over is what sort of base class I should start out with. My first thought was to go with some sort of psionic class, as it would allow for manifestation out of bodies I'm tagging along in - inhabiting a body in that fashion only allows for purely mental actions. The minimum of 4 racial HD makes me weep for lost manifester levels, but them's the breaks.

I'm contemplating going Factotum, though (especially if I could replace the Arcane Dilettante ability with some sort of psionic variant), as I'd like the character to be a knowledge hunter of sorts, traveling the planes for all sorts of interesting things. Being a member of either the Fraternity of Order or the Society of Sensation, depending on just how I'd spin the mentality, would be really cool, I think.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: Making a Tsochar character - class suggestions welcome
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »
I'd actually go for Wizard. There are quite a few spells that are deigned by the Tsochari to help you. They all appear in Lords of Madness. Then, go for Cerebremancer.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:10:52 PM »
Ardent+ practiced manifester, means you can loose up to 7 ML and still get 9th level powers (though you will have low amount of PP)

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:04:49 AM »
Ardent+ practiced manifester, means you can loose up to 7 ML and still get 9th level powers (though you will have low amount of PP)

I like this idea. Other than having a high Intelligence, any tips on getting skill boosts for the Ardent class? I think I'll try to squeeze in Illithid Heritage somewhere to get Intimidate as a class skill, at least.