Author Topic: [3.5 Book] ToB-Style Casters - The Spellshapers (Criticism Wanted)  (Read 22595 times)

DonQuixote

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
Re: [3.5 Book] ToB-Style Casters - The Spellshapers (Criticism Wanted)
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2011, 11:02:21 PM »
Could I get a little clarification on the Darkened One's Shadow Tendril, please? When it says that you threaten nearby squares, does that mean those within the spell's 30 foot range, within 30 foot reach (there can, actually, be slight differences on occasion between range and reach, although I think it's only for 10 foot reach; this would also be modified by effects that alter your each, like Form of Madness), within your normal reach (appropriate to your size and miscellaneous reach-modifying effects), adjacent spaces, or something else entirely?

It's intended to be your normal reach, then modified by Form of Madness and suchlike.

Is Fear Aura a standard action to activate and with a CL equal to your character level or HD (as normal for supernatural abilities)?

Yes.

Can you use the Darkened One's Hide in Plain Sight to Hide while observed but also while you possess something to hide behind? The wording implies that you can't actually use the ability if you have something to hide behind.

It would be very strange if you couldn't hide as well when you were actually hiding.  It works when you have something to hide behind.

For Grasping Tentacles, do you gain (or suffer) the usual bonuses and penalties to your grapple check due to size and abilities such as Improved Grapple? If you are indeed supposed to gain the usual miscellaneous modifiers, may I suggest changing the wording to simply replacing your BaB with your shaper level and your Strength modifier with your Dexterity modifier for the purpose of determining your grapple modifier.

I'm not quite sure at the moment.  If I do decide to include the other modifiers, I will probably go with this.

Can characters with the Spellshape Study feat learn the special spellshapes that PrCs like Darkened One grant access to? Nothing in the text of Spellshape Study or Shadow Tendril (I haven't checked the other special spellshape PrCs) seems to indicate anything special about their potential interactions, and thus nothing that would prevent this.

No, those are intended to be unique.

All of these issues will be made clear in the post and the PDF later on, when I actually have access to my computer, rather than just my iPod.

Edit: All righty, updated the relevant posts to hopefully make these items more clear.  Tomorrow, I'll finish proofreading my document and post a clean PDF.  For now, I sleep--don't want to sleep through work, after all.

Quick Morning Edit:

Thank you kindly. You have nothing but my respect for undertaking this project, and actually finishing.

Hadn't seen this last night.   :blush  I'm honored.  It's been fun to write, and it's been especially wonderful to get so much positive and helpful feedback.

Update: All righty, five days later, I've combed through most of the PDF, clearing up typos and clarifying a few things.  A handful of things have changed--for example, the chaotic insight ability of the Chaos Shaper is now a cumulative chance--but nothing dramatic happened.  Posts have been updated accordingly.

I just know that there are still typos out there, watching me and chuckling to themselves.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:00:13 AM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »
Well, our second session was on Saturday.  This time, combat was a little more useful in terms of looking at how the system works, but it was also slightly skewed, as only half of the party was actually fighting the enemy.  What was supposed to be a quick fight took two hours, due to temporary hit points gained by the foe.

I'm strongly considering reversing my earlier and putting the Elemental Adept back at 3/4 BAB.  As pointed out earlier, the damage output at high levels isn't as terrifying as I first thought, and I was definitely missing some of my attacks with Firestorm.

I did discover that being grappled is a the weakness of all spellshapers--well, except for possibly the spellshape champion.  Since all formulae have somatic components, there is virtually nothing that you can do while grappled.  This seems to me to be an acceptable weak point, though, since you really shouldn't be being grappled--the only reason that I was is that I was too close to the situation when combat began.  It does make me consider altering withering hand so that you can make it as a melee touch attack or as a ranged touch attack from 15 feet or so.  I'll give it a little more thought over the week.

I am now very glad that I increased formulae known and prepared a while back, as formulae like Pyroclasm are often not applicable to certain situations.  When they are, however, you're very glad to be able to use them.  More formulae prepared means that you can have situational abilities available without cutting too much into your actual viability.

Edit: Elemental adept is definitely being bumped back up to 3/4 BAB, and the post has already been edited.  Still not quite sure what I want to do with withering hand, as I still want it to be capable of being delivered as a melee touch attack.  I'll probably hack something out over the course of the week.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:58:55 PM by DonQuixote »

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2011, 08:09:31 PM »
First session, and it was COMBAT! 3 of us vs. 13 zombies, thus dropping half my formulae out of usefulness (still had all my glimmering moon stuff, so...). Still, a Life Drain reshaped into a Glimmering Moon formula allowed me to heal my ranger ally (I missed the session were our rogue got pissed off, and decided to nearly off the ranger. Yeah, the rogue got toasted by our party wizard, whose player wasn't here today, so we didn't have her help.)

One thing I have to point out is that, if you use a spell-shape attack on an ally (for example, he has tomb-tainted soul, and you use Withering Hand) while you are under the effects of Fade into Night, the invisibility doesn't break.

Other than that, I performed quite nicely; I generally one shotted stuff (Luck of the Moon-Touched helped me with Shadow of the New Moon.), while supplying some needed healing as well.

Sorry I can't give you any more useful information at the moment (we did, after all, only fight some zombies.); however, would it be acceptable for me to make a positive energy circle?

Actually, if I were to homebrew stuff for this system, would it be placed in the sequel to this (if one is made?)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

DonQuixote

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2011, 11:57:46 PM »
Yeah, Devouring Shadow doesn't really do anything against undead.  However, technically, once you get the shadow tendril attack, you can use it on undead--the Devouring Shadow formulae don't specify the type of damage added, and shadow tendril is untyped.

I'm okay with this spellshape attack on an ally thing.  It's situational enough that I don't particularly see it as a problem.  If it becomes one, it'll be adressed.

I'm going to assume that the fact that 13 zombies were facing off against 3 PCs means that one-shotting things isn't a bad development.  Good to hear that the system plays well!

And I would absolutely love it if you felt like homebrewing anything for this system!  If I ever do a second compilation of material (which is quite possible, given how obsessively I tweak this stuff), I'd certainly include any material others had provided--with due credit, of course.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2011, 12:14:08 AM »
I really have been thinking about a Spellshape Scholar idea (essentially, they can learn ALL formulae... however, they can only use ones based of a chosen handful of spellshape attacks at any one time), along with a PrC that results in being able to Reshape Formulae with great proficiency and skill.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2011, 12:18:40 AM »
Aw damn, and here I was hoping I might get to be the first. But I need to finish my Elemental revisions because they'd be a key part of my plan (a half-shaper class that riffs off the Elemental Adept a bit conceptually). The Animist will be slow going, what with campaign design on the side.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

DonQuixote

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2011, 11:43:28 AM »
Wow, I wasn't really expecting this much interest in 'brewing custom material for the spellshapers.  Awesome!

Until I decide whether or not I'm doing a second compilation, any material that others write will be linked in the Index and at the end of the Chapter 6 post as faux Web Enhancements.  I am, however, going to strongly suggest that other spellshaper 'brew have its own threads--with my propensity for updating this thread, it would be possible for your material to get lost, and that would be a shame.

In other news, I have decided that you will be able to make withering hand attacks as melee touch attacks or as ranged touch attacks.  Formulae shaped when shaping withering hand as a melee touch attack will not provoke attacks of opportunity, and the ranged version will only have a range of 15 feet, so it's still relatively focused on being close to your target.  I just need to actually write the change up after work today.  Edit: This has now been done.  I'll update the PDF with the two recent changes at some point in the near future.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:28:45 PM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2011, 02:43:54 AM »
Another session today.  Not much to say in terms of combat balance--I didn't actually take the offensive in the main combat of the day.  However, I have learned that Brilliant Radiance is actually a pretty good diplomatic tool, in that a man glowing with inspiring light is generally considered to be not evil.

Also, I probably will do another compilation of spellshaper material--especially since the thought of it has given me ideas for a few new circles, another two base classes, and eight prestige classes.  I'm not actually going to start writing anything yet--I have two internships to work for and two campaigns to play in--but ideas exist and will be defined at some point in the future.

Edit: Updated PDF posted.

I have also been having a lot of ideas for the second Codex, including such wondrous things as a prestige class that lets you mix and match formulae and spellshape attacks from different circles, allowing you to blast an enemy with force (Kinetic Blast, Unseen Impetus circle) that deals Constitution damage (Putrefying Touch, Devouring Shadow circle) and lights him on fire (Undying Flames, Searing Flame circle).  I'm thinking bonuses based on how many circles you combine, plus specific effects for combining opposing circles, or something similar.  Other ideas include a star-based circle to go with Brilliant Dawn and Glimmering Moon, a base class that gets auras like the Divine Mind based on what circles it chooses, and similar thoughts.  There are a LOT of non-circle-specific prestige class ideas, so they should nicely balance out the number of prestige classes in this push that were focused on specialization.

Edit the Second: I'm not going to bother with a new post for feedback from the campaign this week, as there was no combat in this session.  No-combat sessions are fun, but they don't really tell us anything about balance.  I did learn that Inspire Hope works wonders when one of the party members is trying to make a rousing speech to the common folk, however.  Fortunately, the DM has promised us two combats for next week, so I should have something to go on then.

On the topic of new material, most of the ideas have been defined and written down.  I don't have enough 'brewing time to write it up at the moment, though, so anyone who wants to write material for it has plenty of time.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:32:54 PM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2011, 03:05:45 AM »
I actually lied in my last edit.  There WAS something in the last session that ended up having an impact on this material, though not in the expected way.  My character received the blessing of the Spirit of Fire (other party members had already received the blessings of Wood, Light, and Moon).  Among other things, this meant that I got to pick one fire-related spell to gain as a spell-like ability once per day.

While looking through lava-licious spells for my lavamancer character, I noticed that almost every single magma or lava spell that I came across was not subject to spell resistance.  This appealed to my sense of logic--since a conjured stone doesn't deal its damage via magic, conjured lava should behave the same way.  Magical fire, on the other hand, makes sense being subject to spell resistance.

Long story short, the lavamancer's volcanic blast spellshape attack is no longer subject to spell resistance.  I feel like there should be some other change to compensate, but I can't think of anything that feels right to me--reducing damage kind of misses the point, and a shorter range feels slightly off.  Perhaps the fact that it's fire damage--and most things will therefore only be taking half damage, even after progressing through the entire prestige class--is enough of a compensation.  Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Another change: The lava burst ability was made less widespread and more useful for battlefield control.

Also, a point that was brought up in conversation with my DM: spellshape attacks are not arcane formulae.  Therefore, they are subject to the normal rules of spell-like abilities and do not require somatic or verbal components.  Not much of a boon, since all formulae do require somatic components, but it's useful if you need something blast-y in a bind.

Update: After further thought and several ideas, it looks like Lavamancer is going to be heavily revamped sometime in the next few days.  It's a bit random and disconnected as it is at the moment, and it doesn't really feel completely whole.  The ideas that I've sketched out involve slightly more lava and a lot more mancing of it.  Also, the fact that the class is based in both fire and earth shines through a lot more.  Still trying to figure out how to compensate for volcanic blast not being subject to spell resistance, though.

Update II: A revamped Lavamancer has been posted.  Having lost its two defensive abilities (which didn't really make much sense in the first place, since they were both really more appropriate for a melee class), it now has earlier access to lava and can mance it rather easily, gaining three abilities (two of which are lava-riffic versions of existing formulae) that allow it a good measure of battlefield control.  It also gets a few nice earth-related things that bring out that side of the earth/fire combination.

Hopefully, it's not unreasonably powerful now.  If it is, I suspect that I'll move some of the class benefits onto Pool of Magma (probably volcanic blast's ability to ignore spell resistance, Magma Shaping, and Viscous Lava), then change the abilities that interact with it so that you have to wait after using them before you can form another pool.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:44:11 PM by DonQuixote »

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2011, 10:18:18 PM »
Regarding the lavamancer, I'd suggest changing the abilities that deal damage to scale somewhat; they compete with using your spellshaping, and you may even want to make some of them unique formulae that only lavamancers of the appropriate level know. Since they're class abilities that deal flat amounts of damage, there's also a problem that comes up as an artifact of leveling; they are only ever going to be level appropriate for 1 level, and maybe the surrounding 2, but generally they'll be either two weak or two powerful for their level.

Also, entangling for free on every spellshape attack (which is something you'll be doing nearly every round) is kind of awesome, but I'm not sure whether it's awesome enough to warrant changing to something else. Someone else's thoughts? Finally, I'd recommend dropping the concentration checks for violent motion (they already need to make checks for continuous damage, so it's needless complication) and the save on the sonic damage (4d6 is minimal at level 10, and the extra dice rolling is further needless complication) on the capstone.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

DonQuixote

« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2011, 06:08:28 AM »
Changed Pool of Magma to scale.  It now scales up from 2d6 to 6d6 damage, and the bad stuff accumulates as you level.  It's no longer a two-level dip for a death field at character level seven.  This also causes Volcanic Flow to scale, which is nice.  With the bad stuff having been distributed, however, I'm wondering if this should be bumped back up so that it scales from 4d6 to 8d6, but that's probably crazy talk.

The three lavamancy "formulae"--Volcanic Flow, Lava Burst, and Engulfing Magma--are now supernatural abilities that sort of work like formulae.  While they are supernatural abilities, rather than formulae, you have to recover your formulae in order to use them again.  However, this way, they don't count against your formulae known or prepared.

Damage was also moved around on some of said abilities, but I'm now wondering if Engulfing Magma is too powerful.  I'll look at the numbers again over the weekend and try to hash something out.  I'm not sure how easy it is to get out of the magma, so I'm not sure where to peg this one.

Lava Burst might be changed a bit so that it scales--maybe having it deal 1d6 points of damage per shaper level, half of which is fire damage and half of which is bludgeoning damage, and having it throw creatures 10 feet per five shaper levels--but we'll see when I'm less tired.

The entangling ability for volcanic blast was also made into a pseudo-formula, though it works as a minor formula.  I'm wondering if I should increase the duration on it, but I'm not sure yet.  Never mind, I just realized that increasing the duration might make this ability flat-out better than the Undying Flames formula.

Body of the Lavamancer was changed because I realized that having magma instead of blood should mean that you get to screw vampires.  Thus, you now get to screw vampires.  I'm vaguely tempted to also give it the old "Creatures hitting you with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take X fire damage," but--given that you're already likely to be standing in a field of lava that makes them hate themselves for stepping into it, hate themselves for wading through it, and hate themselves for staying in it, that might be a bit much.

Surging Eruption simplified, per your advice.  If Lava Burst is changed to scale, this will be changed as well.  I might also increase the size of everything concerned here--this is your once-a-day Lavamancer ability, so it can afford to be flashy.  Ideally, there would also be smoke and falling rocks, but let's be honest--at that point, it would be more annoying than fun to use.

I know I seem to be focusing on this prestige class a lot at the moment, but I swear that it isn't just because I'm playing one in a current campaign.  (Besides, that character only has one level of lavamancer, so it's not like I'm trying to overpower myself.)  Rather, I'm trying to get a good feel for where I'm going with the mechanics of lavamancy--it'd set a good precedent for other prestige classes, such as a version of Hand of Death's Chill that isn't quite so "Meh."  Also, some of the theoretical prestige classes in the next push of material could definitely benefit from this experiment, such as the Brilliant Dawn/Glimmering Moon/[New Circle Based on Stars] prestige class or the language-and-speech-based prestige class that replaces all somatic components with verbal ones.

Campaign Notes Update: Saturday is the next session of the campaign that I'm playing in.  The DM has promised significant combat this time, so I'll finally get to test-drive how spellshaping stands up in combat at level six.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:40:50 AM by DonQuixote »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2011, 08:28:42 AM »
Body of the Lavamancer was changed because I realized that having magma instead of blood should mean that you get to screw vampires.  Thus, you now get to screw vampires.  I'm vaguely tempted to also give it the old "Creatures hitting you with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take X fire damage," but--given that you're already likely to be standing in a field of lava that makes them hate themselves for stepping into it, hate themselves for wading through it, and hate themselves for staying in it, that might be a bit much.
I kinda thought that was the whole point :D
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

DonQuixote

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Point about the damage on attacks.  It was added, along with an actually decent scaling mechanic for Lava Burst and Surging Eruption.  Huzzah!

How are the abilities in terms of action costs?  They're currently at full-round actions because I had originally conceived of them that way.  Should any of them be changed?

Also, I've been putting ideas together for a revamp of Hand of Death's Chill.  It's nifty thus far.  I'll try to get it up as soon as possible.  After that, I just need to touch up Flamedancer, increase Corrosive Blade's base attack bonus, and rewrite Singer of Storms, and I'll be happy with where the prestige classes are.

Update: Well, I've finished putting together ideas for a revamped Hand of Death's Chill, figured out the Flamedancer changes, and decided to bump Corrosive Blade to full Base Attack Bonus.

2:21 AM, July 4th: Well, I've now also figured out what I'm going to do with Singer of Storms.  Now, I just have to type all of this stuff out so that it doesn't rely on my shorthand any more.  Also, I still need to figure out a way to make Lavamancer compensate for volcanic blast not being subject to spell resistance.  I should be getting the other changes up this week, though.

7:30 PM, July 5: Finished all the write-ups.  Will start updating later tonight.  Spellshape Study and the Spellshape Focus feats will also be clarified a bit--you can't learn prestige class spellshape attacks, nor can they be directly improved with Spellshape Focus and such.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:34:36 PM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2011, 03:18:13 AM »
Several revamps posted!  I feel like prestige classes should now be more or less balanced in terms of attractiveness.  At this point, I hope not to revamp anything more--instead, I'll quietly balance the abilities that exist, nerfing when necessary.  (Edit: Hand of Death's Chill has already been tweaked, and you now add your shaper level to the DC of the Balance check associated with your Freezing Touch ability.)

Notes from Saturday's session: The lavamancer ability Shape Molten Stone is interesting in combat situations.  We were fighting shadow demons in a network of tunnels, and I was able to drastically expand our fighting area.  However, I was then knocked unconscious by too much Wisdom damage, so I was unable to harden the stone, which created an interesting hazard for my party members.

Later in the session, we fought my character's nemesis.  I was able to maintain decent uptime on him while still keeping my surroundings in mind.  It plays pretty smoothly, and I'm happy with how it feels.  We'll see if that feeling continues.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:56:49 PM by DonQuixote »

Carnap

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2011, 03:02:05 PM »
Can a totemist use the Spellshape Channeling through her natural weapons?

DonQuixote

« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »
Can a totemist use the Spellshape Channeling through her natural weapons?

Well, currently, it does specify a melee weapon that you hold.  However, I see no reason not to allow natural weapons and unarmed strikes.  I'll change it later tonight, when I have access to my actual computer.  (8:36 AM, July 13: Well, it was a few hours late, but this is done now.)

Campaign Notes: I've noticed two things.  Rotations that you set up in theory do not always pan out, and spell resistance is the devil.  First, rotations.  I actually view this one as a good thing--I know that I can rely on the theoretical rotation I figured out if the situation ever arises, but the fact that it does not always do so means that I'm not getting bored of combat.  I have options and different things that I can do--and that aspect feels good.

Spell resistance is, I suspect, mainly a problem because the DM is throwing us seriously pumped-up fights.  However, it does mean that Blustering Gale, Crushing Stone, Natural Balance, and Roaring Tide are filling a real niche with the "not subject to spell resistance" shtick.

Possible Upcoming Changes: There are two things that might be changed, depending on how I come down on the issue after looking over every issue.  The first is fairly insignificant: impulse mages might receive a new capstone, as the current one doesn't feel quite right.

The second issue is accessibility.  Currently, everyone except for the elemental adept gets access to all the circles.  I'm contemplating changing impulse mage and spellshape champions such that you choose which circles to know at character creation (tentatively six for impulse mage, three for spellshape champion).  This might even up the power levels somewhat, especially given the potential for more circles to be written in the future.  (1:03 AM, July 14: This has been implemented.  At 1st level, Impulse Mages and Spellshape Champions must pick five and three circles, respectively.  Those are the only circles from which they can learn formulae normally.)

Codex II: So, I'm stuck on two nine-hour plane flights this weekend, so it's possible that I'll come back with some Codex II stuff written.  In addition to the material that Amechra and Bauglir were thinking of writing, I have several plans.  Stuff that might get written this weekend includes the Anchorite base class, alternative class features for the first four spellshaping base classes, and the Astral Essence, Eternal Moment, and Malleable Form circles.

I'm unsure as of yet whether I'll post Codex II in this thread or start a new one.  It might be too much to slog through were it in here, but I also don't want to clutter up the board.  Fortunately, I have time to think it over--I don't plan to post it until I've had the chance to pull all of my ideas together, and it looks like there are going to be at least ten prestige classes.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:05:38 AM by DonQuixote »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »
I think a new thread could help, since you'd need to  re-estimate the number of reserved posts.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

DonQuixote

« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2011, 12:00:20 AM »
Good point.  There will be a new thread for the Codex II stuff, then.  Again, it probably won't be up for at least two months, as I need to figure out everything that's going in.  Anyone who wants to 'brew material for this compilation is more than welcome to do so--I'll happily include it so long as you inform me of its existence and don't mind me editing for consistency in phrasing.

After traveling for two days, I now have a basic write-up for one of the new base classes, a list of possible formulae for three new circles, and a first draft of alternative class features, with two variants for each of the four base classes in Codex I.  Those ACFs are very much in the revision phase, however, as I don't want them to be obviously better or worse than the original class features.

One thing that is ready for today is the new impulse mage capstone, which is no longer just an instead-of-formula ability.

Edit: After much consideration, the elemental adept's elemental companion is now slated to be improved.  It feels somewhat irrelevant right now--I feel like even just offering a Hexblade's Dark Companion as an alternative class feature would eclipse the elemental companion itself.  That -2 to AC and saves feels more valuable to me than the limited damage added by the companion does.

I might be underestimating the power of the elemental companion, but the fact of the matter is that I did not bat an eye at the idea of permanently sacrificing it for a ritual in the campaign I'm currently playing.  The plan is to give the elemental companion a bunch more passive abilities as you level--nothing game-changing, just things that make it actually a consideration on the battlefield.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:36:25 AM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »

Elemental Companion (Sidebar)
[spoiler]
An elemental adept has an elemental companion that starts at Small size and grows larger as the elemental adept's level increases.

Elemental Companion Basics: Use the statistics for an elemental of the appropriate size as found in the Monster Manual, but make the following changes:
   Level: The character's elemental adept level.

Bonus HD: Extra eight-sided (d8) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Constitution modifier, as normal.  Remember that extra Hit Dice improve the elemental companion's base attack and base save bonuses as appropriate for an elemental.  An elemental companion's base attack bonus is the same as that of a cleric or druid of a level equal to the elemental's HD.  An elemental companion has good Reflex saves (treat it as a character whose level equals the elemental's HD).  An elemental companion gains additional skill points and feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster's Hit Dice (see pages 290-291 of the Monster Manual).

Str Adj.: Add this value to the elemental companion's Strength score.

Empathic Link (Su): The elemental adept has an empathic link with his elemental companion out to a distance of 1 mile.  The elemental adept cannot see through the companion's eyes, but they can communicate empathically.  Note that even intelligent elementals see the world differently from humans, so misunderstandings are always possible.
   Because of this empathic link, the elemental adept has the same connection to an item or place that his companion does, just as a master and his familiar (see the Familiars sidebar, page 52 of the Player's Handbook).

Evasion (Ex): If an elemental companion is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw.

Death Throes (Ex): When killed, an elemental adept's elemental companion explodes in a burst of elemental energy that deals 1d6 points of damage per Hit Die to anything within 20 feet, with a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + elemental's Constitution modifier) for half damage.  An air elemental deals slashing damage with this ability, an earth elemental deals bludgeoning damage, a fire elemental deals fire damage, and a water elemental deals bludgeoning damage.

Size Increase (Ex): A 3rd-level elemental adept's companion grows into a Medium elemental of the same kind.  When it does so, its statistics change appropriately.  An elemental companion never increases in size beyond Medium, regardless of its Hit Dice.

Devotion (Ex): An elemental companion of a 3rd-level elemental adept is so devoted to its master that it gains a +4 morale bonus on Will saves against enchantment spells and effects.

Elemental Body (Ex): The elemental companion of a 5th-level elemental adept begins to display manifestations of its element that are uncommon among most elementals.

Air Body: An air elemental gains more control over the winds that make up its body, making it more difficult to see and hit.  All attacks made against the elemental have a 20% miss chance.  This miss chance is not negated by effects that ignore concealment.  In addition, the air elemental's natural armor bonus to Armor Class becomes a deflection bonus.

Earth Body: An earth elemental's form becomes more firmly rooted in the earth, augmenting its attacks and granting it greater stability.  The earth elemental's natural attacks are treated as adamantine, cold iron, and silver for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.  In addition, it gains a +8 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground.

Fire Body: A fire elemental begins to radiate heat with such intensity that it sears all who touch it and can melt the very ground beneath it.  The elemental's burn ability deals an additional 1d6 points of fire damage to creatures hitting it with natural weapons or unarmed attacks.  In addition, any square occupied by the elemental becomes molten for 1 round.  A molten square costs 2 squares of movment to enter, and creatures can't run or charge across them.  Any creature passing through a molten square takes 1d6 points of fire damage.
   If 10 or more points of cold damage are directed at a molten square, it returns to normal.  Affected squares cool immediately when the effect ends, but they retain a blasted and burned appearance.  A fire elemental ignores the effects of its own molten squares.

Water Body: A water elemental gains such great control over its form that it can flow around attacks and through tiny cracks in objects.  Any effect or spell that allows a Reflex save for half damage has a 50% chance to have no effect on the elemental.  In addition, the elemental can move through the earth, walls, and other obstacles.  The elemental moves at normal speed through terrain that slows movement.  It can move through permeable objects at half speed, but it cannot move through completely solid barriers.  For example, a water elemental could flow through a wooden or brick wall by squeezing into cracks and channels, but it could not move through a wall of solid iron or rock.  If the elemental ends its movement completely within an object, opponents do not have line of sight or line of effect to it and its reach drops to 0 feet.

Elemental Aura (Su): If the elemental adept is 5th level or higher, his companion radiates an aura of elemental power.  Any enemy adjacent to his elemental companion takes a -2 penalty on its saves and to its AC.  In addition, spellshape attacks and formulae that the elemental adept shapes from his elemental circles deal 1 extra point of damage per die to creatures adjacent to his elemental companion.

Elemental Strike (Ex): When the elemental adept reaches 7th level, his magic begins to empower the attacks of his elemental companion.  The elemental companion's slam attack is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction and deals extra damage equal to the elemental adept's Charisma modifier.  In addition, the elemental's empowered strikes allow its master to more easily pierce the defenses of his foes.  If his elemental companion successfully strikes an opponent with a melee attack, the elemental adept gains a +2 bonus on any shaper level checks made to overcome that creature's spell resistance until the beginning of his next turn.

Advancement (Ex): As an elemental adept increases in level, his elemental companion becomes more powerful.  When the elemental adept reaches 9th level, his elemental companion becomes tougher and smarter, gaining +2 Constitution and +2 Intelligence.  In addition, earth elementals gain +2 Strength and a +2 increase to existing natural armor, water elementals gain +2 Strength and +2 Dexterity, and air and fire elementals gain +4 Dexterity.

At 15th level, the elemental adept's companion continues to become more powerful, gaining +2 Constitution.  In addition, earth elementals gain a +4 increase to existing natural armor, while air, fire, and water elementals gain +4 Dexterity.

When the elemental adept reaches 19th level, his companion gains another +2 Intelligence.  In addition, earth elementals gain a +2 increase to existing natural armor, while air, fire, and water elementals gain +2 Dexterity.

Damage Reduction (Ex): If the elemental adept is 9th level or higher, his elemental companion gains damage reduction 5/-.  When he reaches 19th level, this damage reduction increases to 10/-.

Improved Speed (Ex): All of the elemental companion's speed figures increase by 10 feet when its master reaches 11th level.

Greater Elemental Aura (Su): When the elemental adept reaches 11th level, the penalty to saves and AC taken by a creature adjacent to his elemental companion increases to -3.

Improved Evasion (Ex): When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex save for half damage, the elemental companion of a 13th-level elemental adept takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and half damage even if the saving throw fails.

Scry on Companion (Sp): If the elemental adept is 13th level or higher, he may scry on his companion (as if casting the scrying spell) once per day.

Spell Resistance (Ex): If the elemental adept is 17th level or higher, his elemental companion gains spell resistance equal to the elemental adept's level + 5.

Overpowering Elemental Aura (Su): When the elemental adept reaches 17th level, the presence of his elemental companion overpowers creatures near it.  The penalty to saves and AC taken by a creature adjacent to his elemental companion increases to -4.  In addition, spellshape attacks and formulae that the elemental adept shapes from his elemental circles now deal an extra 2 points of damage per die to creatures adjacent to his elemental companion.
[/spoiler]

(Elemental companion sidebar posted here because it was too long to edit into the original post.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:01:08 AM by DonQuixote »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2011, 11:55:23 PM »
Hmm, how do replacing a lost companion work?
Just reconstitute from the element in the morning or more involved?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]