Author Topic: Child of Khyber  (Read 3135 times)

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Child of Khyber
« on: March 11, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »
We're playing in a Tier 1, 2, and 3 game.  My buddy is joining us and wants to play a Child of Khyber who worships The Traveler.

He was concerned with having a high enough Charisma to make his dragonmarks have a high Saving Throw DC.

I'm the Dungeon Master of the game and I recommended this build:

Bard 5/Child of Khyber 5/Crusader 10  (Song of the White Raven)

(I'd probably remove access to Stone Dragon and grant him Shadow Hand as it fits thematically)

You guys have any thoughts on what you would do or not do?

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: Child of Khyber
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
Might wanna look at mighty or nightborn dragonmark. Also some aberrant feats in PGtE. Also have him take a look at the moons. Each of the house marks is associated with one. Maybe his mark is a reflection?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
Child of Khyber is pretty weak. As long as you're making changes, you could have levels 1,3,5 progress casting (for instance; alternatively you could have levels 2,4,5 progress all class features like Uncanny Trickster)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »
Depending on how you work Master Spellthief, something more like...

Spellthief 5/Child of Khyber 4/(XXX) 1/Unseen Seer 10

Might work better, using any class with arcane, Charisma-based spellcasting in that (XXX) slot.  Steal your own SLAs for infinite uses.

EDIT: Having gone through the Dragonmarked book, another thing to consider is the Mark of Vermin feat for this character.  It allows you to treat vermin as if they have 2 intelligence and arguably allows you to use the Handle Animal skill to train them.  This is especially useful if the above character has any interest at all in using poisons.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:58:37 PM by X-Codes »

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »
For a caster, dragonmarks are underwhelming. For a mundane melee whacker, they can be great. You sacrifice 1 feat and 1 point of BAB for all good saves and some SLAs. I wouldn't bother about charisma at all, and use them mostly as buffs. Child of khyber is a 4 level class, fifth level isn't worth it.

aberrant dragonmark vigor (pgte) is the dragonmark feat you'll want to take, sacrifice dm use as immediate action to get temp hp equal to HD.

aberrant rager: uses dragonmarks for defense and offense
barb 4/child 4 CL9
1 aberrant dragonmark: 4 x shield (rod extended 18 minutes, 500 gp)
3 aberrant dragonmark vigor; 2 x vampiric touch (4d6); as immediate action sac DM to get 8 temp hp
6 dragonmark rage 2 x enervation; fast healing 3 when raging
9 aberrant reach (lords of madness)
If all aberrant DM feats are treated as [Aberrant], this character can get nice benefits from further [Aberrant] feats (Lords of Madness). (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebee/20050704a)

fiery blaster: melee guy who supplements his powers with quickened blasts
any 4/child 4; CL11 (doesn't work RAW, feats/items might be only for true dragonmarks; though last section of Dragonmarked supplement mentions that aberrant equivalents should exist)
1 aberrant dragonmark; 4x quickened burning hands
3 quicken dragonmark; 3x quickened empowered scorching ray
6 quicken dragonmark; 1x flamestrike
gear: dragonmark focus +2 CL (3k), empower channeling rod lesser (4,5k)

dragonmarked resources (I have prepared for a potential handbook)
[spoiler]
items   
   dragonmark focus - 1/2/3/4 to dm caster level, 1.5k/3k/6k/12k gp - cheap and good
   dragonshard reservoir - gives extra use of least, lesser, greater, siberys (7k-80k) - expensive
   channeling rods - metamagic rods for dragonmarks (0.5k-85k) - useful and not expensive
   siberys shard holy symbol (FoE) - allows a cleric to rebuke drakonmarked
   dragonmark rods (MoE) - grants 3/2/1 uses of dm to users who have already have the dm (30k-60k) + use any
   fuel shards (MoE) - empower/extend/heighten dragonmark, single use, 225-1800
   dragon's blood drug (Sharn) - improve effect of dm
   dragonmark scepter (RoE) - extra use of least dm for 1000 gp
   sentinel's shield (sharn) - shield enhancement: extra uses of protection from arrows

Many items work only for true dragonmarks. However, aberrant variants should be also available (Dra 158).   

feats
aberrant dragonmark as a prerequisite for aberrant feats in Lords of Madness
maximize SLA
empower SLA
quicken SLA
Dragonmark Luck (TEOTLQ) - 1/day sacrifice dragonmark use to get 1 action point
Dragon Ward (TEOTLQ) - sacrifice DM use to get +4 AC/reflex vs dragons for a few rounds
Aberrant Dragonmark Vigor (PGtE) - sac DM use to get temp HP equal to HD, immediate action (!)
Aberrant Dragonmark Gift (PGtE) - can use aberrant DM 3/day
Aberrant Dragonmark Mystery (PGtE) - sac DM use to get +1 CL for a single spell/power/infusion/invocation
Dragon's Insight (PGtE) - expend DM use for +4 skill bonus
Shield of Deneith (PGtE) - expend DM use for dodge AC bonus
Swiftness of Orien (PGtE) - expend DM use for speed bonus
Dragonmarked Sorcerer (Dragon 351) - SLAs granted by your house's dragonmark are now spells known for you (if sorcerer spells)

Around 60 feats are in the Dragonmarked supplement. Selection here:
Breath of Siberys: +1d6 / +2d6 to breath weapon damage
Dragonmark Adept/Prodigy/Visionary: get extra use of DM + an additional SLA from Spell Compendium
Dragonmark Mastery: spend action point to use DM as immediate/swift action
Dragonmark Rage: gain fast healing 3 while raging
Dragonmark Smite: spend AP to make target dazed/prone/unconscious
Dragonmark Spellturning: spend AP to target spell at original caster, max level 1/3/5/7
Dragonmarked Summoner: summons get 1/2/3 deflection to AC
Evoker's Mark: spend AP to empower evocation
Greensinger's Mark: wild shaped deal +2d6 damage vs aberrations and evil outsiders
Mark of the Dauntless: cannot be dazed or stunned; can touch others to remove these conditions
Mark of the Recovery: when attack disables you, can sac DM as immediate action to heal HP damage
Mark of Stars: never surprised/flatfooted; +2 insight to AC and reflex
Mark of Twelve Moons: gain +1 inherent bonus to one ability score
Mark of Vermin: treat vermin as animals with 2 int
Mark of Xoriat: DR5/byeshk
Mighty Dragonmark: +1 DC, +2 CL for dragonmarks
Orien Battle Stride: +4 stability; can take 5ft step when missed as immediate action
Quicken Dragonmark: use least DM as swift action; can be taken 3 times to affect also lesser and greater DM
Sentinel Stance: adjacent allies gain up to +3 AC and Reflex
Stormrider: electricity and sonic resistance 10; take 10 on Balance
Umbral Mark: 25% / 50% fortification; does not stack

DEATH CURSE
When you are about to die, you can make a final strike with the power of your dragonmark.
Prerequisites: Aberrant Dragonmark.
Benefit: When you suffer an injury that reduces your hit points to -1 or below, you may choose to invoke your death curse on your enemies. Select one of your aberrant dragonmark abilities and an opponent who participated in the final attack. This opponent must be within the normal range of the spell effect and you must make a successful attack roll if it is required, but you do not have to have an action prepared. Your effective caster level is increased by 4, and the saving throw DC against the effect is increased by 2. However, there is one drawback: you die as soon as you have released the curse, regardless of your current hit point total.
You may also choose to invoke your death curse any time you use an aberrant dragonmark ability; however, you die immediately after activating the power. In either case, death is unavoidable; if you find some effect that prevents death, then the curse will not take effect.

HIDEOUS STRENGTH
Your aberrant dragonmark is unusually strong, but it has a tangible disturbing effect. This may take the form of physical disfigurement, noxious odor, or an inexplicably repellent aura: whatever the visible signs, others find you to be especially disturbing.
Prerequisites: Aberrant Dragonmark.
Benefit:The caster level of your aberrant dragonmark powers is increased by 1, and the saving throw DC is increased by 2. However, when dealing with any creature aside from an aberration or humanoid with an aberrant dragonmark, you take a -2 penalty on the following skills or abilities: Diplomacy, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Perform, or wild empathy. Barring other factors, a hostile animal will choose you as a target over other nearby enemies.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:20:41 PM by cru »

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:33:35 PM »
cru: dragonmarked resources (I have prepared for a potential handbook)

Funny, you should mention that, its a topic I've been working on also. So far I've found dms are good at skill improvement. The spell-likes are actually a distraction/bonus. If I get some time I'll reformat the doc I've been working on. Needs some input to round out the sections and generalize it.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 08:32:11 PM »
Just like to note that I strongly prefer Produce Flame over Burning Hands.  With a single action it deals more damage to a single target (8.5 vs. 6.25 after a successful reflex save), and can be used with high BAB to make iterative attacks for more damage.  What's more, you're not required to get within melee range to use it and can apply damage bonuses since it's a weapon-like spell instead of a simple blast.