Author Topic: HELP put up ideas for Warblade/Crusader build  (Read 2567 times)

Doron

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
HELP put up ideas for Warblade/Crusader build
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »
Hi :D

We r starting new very HEROIC campaign and i would like You to help me with my character. This post is a bit long but please carry with it if you have time to do so.  ;)
(I m very sorry for my poor english but i hope you will understand what i m trying to say =))

The basic idea is non magic fighter deeply devoted to justice and protecting people - probably going to try to get saint template and with a very good chance to get it before lvl 10

Character level is 4 for now, but leveling will be fast here (about two sessions for one lvl)

All of the following is already set:

RACE:
Human with VERY nice homebrew template that gives:
some atribute bonuses  (+4 str, +2 con, -2 int)
powerfull build (goliath like)
SR 5+ char. lvl
Blindfight bonus feat
sense motive always class skill, +4 sense motive to find out criminals
+2 listen, search and spot
+60 ft. darkvision
+1 LA (already bought off)

ABILITIES: (lvl 4)
STR 22+6
DEX 14+2
CON 16+3
INT 14+2
WIS 14+2
CHA 12+1

FEATS:
sacred vow
vow of poverty
power attack
homebrew - forsaker (based on Forsaker class)
Forsaker cant use any magical items, cast spells (both divine and arcane) or use any spell like abilities. Forsaker also cannot let others to cast spells on him willingly - he has to resist it with both spell resistance and saves if posssible, even when his life depends on it.
ability bonus (ex): as Forsakers spirit gains on strenthg, his body does aswell. Forsaker gets +1 inherent bonus to any desired ability for each level

Fast healing (ex): Forsakers spirit can keep it s mortal vessel in good condition. Forsaker gets fast healing 1 for every two levels (Fast healing 1 on first lvel, fast healing 2 on third level etc.)

Spell resistance (ex): Forsaker is no longer as suspectible to magic ase other beings are, he gains SR 10 +1 for each level. This can stack with any other aplicable spell resistance he has

Tough defense (ex): Forsakers body gets stronger and stronger with every step he makes without magic. At 4th level he gains natural armor equal to his constitution bonus

Natural weapons (ex): Beggining at 4th level the forsakers weapons get strengthen by the forsakers spirit. His weapons work like if they had +1 bonus for every four character levels (+1 on fourth level, +2 on eigth etc)

Slippery mind (ex): Forsakers spirit is harder to control by magic, at 6th level if he fails his level against any enchantement effect, he can attempt his saving throw again 1 round later. He gets only one extra chance to succeed at his saving throw

Damage reduction (ex): At 10th the body and the spirit of forsaker cannot be damaged easily by mundane means. Forsaker gets 10/+2 damage resistance. This DR improves to 15/+3 on 15th level and to 20/+5 on 20th level. If he already has another damage resistance, he can choose to not gain this one, but increases the other by 5 for every five character levels over 10 (+5 on 10th lvl, +10 on 15th, +15 on 20th). He chooses as soon as he gets the second damage resistance and cannot change the decision later.

EQUIPMENT:
Additionaly he is permited to design legacy greatsword which he already has in possesion (exception to non magical items policy bwahaha) - it can have any abilites except those directly damaging (no classic weapon enhancement, fireball etc.). Spell likes effects are permited and in his case are psionic based.

He s going to be Warblade or Crusader

QUESTIONS:
1) crusader or warblade? (and build ideas for those)
2) prestige classes?
3) feats?
4) legacy item abilities?

Thanks in advance to all of you...  ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:16:51 PM by Doron »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: HELP put up ideas for Warblade/Crusader build
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:07:38 PM »
Oh god.

I'll warn you right now by saying that you're probably going to get crucified for stating that you wish to use Vow of Poverty. Admittedly, with your homebrew Forsaker feat you're doubling up on the cost of not using any magic items, but for this forum, you're still missing simple things like fly that are hard to duplicate with Ex. abilities.

Anyway:

Are you filling a role in the party? Do you know what anyone else is playing? Crusaders are more tanky than Warblades: their delayed damage pool and healing maneuvers give a surprising amount of effective HP. Warblades, in general, deal more damage, but despite their d12 HD, they are less effective at soaking damage.

For a little more info on Crusaders, Sinfire Titan has a guide which is located here. For a little more info on Warblades, I have a guide which is woefully incomplete. It is located here.

Thematically, Crusader makes the most sense. If ToB classes had analogues in the PHB, Warblades would be like Fighters or Barbarians, Swordsages would be like the Monk and Crusaders would be like the Paladin.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:31:49 PM »
Maybe add dragon born to pick up flight?

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
As sexy as those bonuses are, unless A) you can get a source of flight (winged template, dragonborn, feat, etc) and B) your party doesn't plan on teleporting anywhere you really should re-evaluate them. Because if you can't fly, you will be Sir-Not-Contributing-To-This-Adventure by about 9th level. Without teleportation, you are also screwed if you need to get somewhere far away. Like, at all.

That said, pretty much any combo of Warblade and Crusader is viable. Warblade 18/Crusader 2 (Warblade 6/Crusader 2/Warblade +12) makes for an excellent lockdown build with Stand Still + Thicket of Blades, while still giving you high-level Warblade damage output. Alternatively, you can go primarily Crusader, dipping Warblade to snag IHS and the save counters for a very hard-to-kill bruiser.

Maneuver advice will really depend upon what role you want to fill, however there are a few basics. White Raven Tactics is always good. Consult with your DM over whether you count as your own ally; RAW you can WRT yourself. This leads to one of the best combos for the Crusader: Greater Divine Surge + White Raven Tactics -> Strike of Righteous Vitality. Even if you can't use it on yourself, giving the Wizard another turn can literally win the fight. It's really one of the most powerful maneuvers, period.

Following that, White Raven Hammer is always good, with a solid hit + no-save stun. You can potentially Tekken-juggle people with just three maneuvers as a Warblade (White Raven Hammer turn 1, Swooping Dragon Strike turn 2, refresh + White Raven Tactics -> White Raven Hammer turn 3, repeat).
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Doron

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:31:10 AM »
Other characters in party - Melee oriented cleric, HIPS rogue, Psion, dragon shaman, swordsage and ranger

My role should be balanced. Dont want to be damage sponge, but have to endure few hits while being able to punish enemies

Fly would probably be acquirable in game (maybe with saint template) or from legacy item. Teleport is a bit of a problem, but i can allow to get transported by psionics. We dont have real arcane caster in party for now anyway.. but he will probably pop up sooner or later.

Doron

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 06:36:34 AM »
Ya, i ll be able to get wings somehow during the game (confirmed by gm)

But no combining crusader and warblade, i have to choose one and than use prestige classes.

Eardatch

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:44:20 AM »
I'd take dragonborn, whether you need it for the wings or not, so you can take dragonscale hulk with crusader and put that heavy armor prof. to good use.

Doron

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »
IF i could get it, what would you think about warblade 7/ master of nine 4 and the rest eternal blade? (but i guess the game will end about time i finish with master of nine)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
Both the Warblade and the Crusader can "endure few hits while being able to punish enemies". The difference is whether you want to endure a few hits, plus a few more, or be able to punish enemies a little harder. If you desire the former, play a Crusader. If you desire the latter, play a Warblade. In my opinion, with so much melee damage (Rogue, Swordsage, Ranger, Cleric, Dragon Shaman) you'll feel more unique as a Crusader (Eardatch's suggestion is gold, BTW).

I see almost no way you'll enter Mo9 by 7th level. At 4th level, you still have 4 feats that need to be filled: Adaptive Style, Dodge, Improved Initiative and Unarmed Strike. Warblade only gives you 1 bonus feat between 1st level and 7th level, so you don't have enough slots.

Not only this, but you need maneuvers from 6 different disciplines, and you only learn 5 as a warblade. Which means without multiclassing, you'll need another feat (Martial Study) to fufill that requirement.

Eternal Blade though... that PrC is extremely strong. If you can swing out of the Elf requirement, you're basically giving up Stance Mastery (+Int to AoOs/Opposed trip/sunder/whatever and 2 poor bonus feats aren't even worth mentioning.) for a bunch of awesome. WB 10/Eternal Blade 10 is simple and awesome, and I'd definitely go for it.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.