Author Topic: How would this change things?  (Read 1279 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
How would this change things?
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:12:11 AM »
What if, instead of using caster level, you use the Magic Rating system out of Unearthed Arcana?

And then cap any bonii to "caster level" at you HD, unless it explicitly splits the cap (circle magic would get this designation, as would a few other stuff, such as racial bonuses to "caster level")? So it's more like a magical BAB?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
Re: How would this change things?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:51:13 AM »
It essentially replaces Practiced Spellcaster for everybody. This ... doesn't do a whole lot. The problem with losing spellcasting levels isn't the CL hit, it's the not getting ever-increasing piles of awesome part. The fact that your CL is 20 when you have 3rd-level spells is nice, but it isn't really meaningful in any way.

BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: How would this change things?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 03:30:42 PM »
I always liked the magic rating system, but I liked it for the reason I liked fractional bonuses. It doesn't have a big impact on the game, it just explains how the game already worked to people who hadn't caught on yet.

A lot of people never look at the game and reverse engineer to figure out how it works, they just let it tell them when to do something and accept it. This makes them worse at house ruling and home brewing. Home brewing may not seem like it's important/useful, but it's what you do every time you "fix" something.

The magic rating system just shows you how they originally figured things and applies the basic principle of it to allow a more flexible, albeit slightly more complex, game.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.