Author Topic: [3.PF] Optimizing Patrick Jane, The Mentalist  (Read 4180 times)

Rasengan2theface

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
[3.PF] Optimizing Patrick Jane, The Mentalist
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:31:58 AM »

While going though the Pathfinder Advanced Players Guide and catching up on episodes of the show I just HAPPENED to pass over Bards and the Detective alt class features. Thinking about it, I just can't help myself. I'm getting ready to get into a new campaign and...it's just FAR too amusing to not do. The hard thing about it is that Patrick Jane is anything BUT a combatant. So, how do I make a character that his big trick is avoiding combat and picking up the subtle details that give him the advantage in uncovering the truth and still be a valuable asset to the party?

A one level dip into Mindbender seems like a start for cheese. I also recall a feat that gives you Telepathic Blindsense, I just can't remember the name of it.

Aasimar seems like the race of choice other than human or maybe Half-Elf.

Dhampir would be an interesting alternative though...

I'm wanting to build for 20 levels, but playable from the ground up, which makes this hard(er).

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: [3.PF] Optimizing Patrick Jane, The Mentalist
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:16:45 AM »
Well the Telepathic feat is called Mindsight and is from the Lords of Madness book, its not in the general feats section, I think its with the Tsochar monster write up but is listed there as a general feat, you just have to have Telepathy.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:16:37 AM »
You want a build that allows you to avoid combat when D&D, even in Pathfinder form, is a game about combat.

...What?
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »
Well, theres avoiding physical combat, but completely fucking up the mind...
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »
Honestly, at this point, I'm just going to suggest a Psion (Telepath) with the ACF from Mynd's Eye that gives you 5' Telepathy for every level of Psion (Telepath) you have. That lets you pick up Mindsight without juggling classes around. Other than that, the XPH and CPsi prestige classes are somewhat miserable for the entire thing.

Anyways, Kalashtar if you go the Psionics route. That extra 20 PP is an extra 9th level power. And Psionics are playable from level 1 to level 20, though some would argue that the Telepathy discipline is not as useful as, say, Psychoportation or Egotism (or whatever the Egoist's is).
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:44:58 AM »
Vow of Nonviolence might fit with this as well.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:47:29 AM »
you need to find some way of getting key things like charm X & suggestion @will and with some way of penetrating immunity to enchantments.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »
you need to find some way of getting key things like charm X & suggestion @will and with some way of penetrating immunity to enchantments.

Penetrating immunity to enchantments could be the enchantment variation on Nightmare Spinner.
Charm Person at will Half Fey template.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »
Isnt all the stuff in the show done with an epic sense motive check and crazy high wisdom?
BG's other resident furry!

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 01:34:04 PM »
Isnt all the stuff in the show done with an epic sense motive check and crazy high wisdom?
A lot of it could be explained that way. He would also need a high bluff for all the fake outs he does as well as a good spot for the details he always notices. I was thinking the suggestion/charm as an easier way of doing the fake outs until he can get epic level bluff that acts like suggestion.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 10:19:02 PM »
Honestly, at this point, I'm just going to suggest a Psion (Telepath) with the ACF from Mynd's Eye that gives you 5' Telepathy for every level of Psion (Telepath) you have. That lets you pick up Mindsight without juggling classes around. Other than that, the XPH and CPsi prestige classes are somewhat miserable for the entire thing.

Anyways, Kalashtar if you go the Psionics route. That extra 20 PP is an extra 9th level power. And Psionics are playable from level 1 to level 20, though some would argue that the Telepathy discipline is not as useful as, say, Psychoportation or Egotism (or whatever the Egoist's is).

Psychometabolism :)

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 02:50:58 AM »
First of not familiar with the show, so the vague suggestions are based of the comments of others.

You want a build that allows you to avoid combat when D&D, even in Pathfinder form, is a game about combat.

I'm playing one of these  :P
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=274107

You might look over it for ideas, in a few levels I'll have charm monster at will. Not yet sure how viable it's going to be, but the campaign will mostly focus on fighting evil outsiders so avenging strike does give me some good to hit and damage bonuses. But mostly I plan on using charm, suggestion and diplomancy to switch combat into a social encounter, and if that fails, well I can charge reasonably well and a wand of snake's swiftness means I won't be completely useless.

In general if you want a build that is non-combat focused you either need to be a leader type (see 'how to get pets', something like thralherd, or dominate) or you need to be buffing the party. A combination of both would work quite well.

If you really want to avoid combat there is the BoED class that is dedicated to it, you could possibly make a build with that.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Rasengan2theface

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 03:24:01 AM »
First of not familiar with the show, so the vague suggestions are based of the comments of others.

I'm playing one of these  :P
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=274107

You might look over it for ideas, in a few levels I'll have charm monster at will. Not yet sure how viable it's going to be, but the campaign will mostly focus on fighting evil outsiders so avenging strike does give me some good to hit and damage bonuses. But mostly I plan on using charm, suggestion and diplomancy to switch combat into a social encounter, and if that fails, well I can charge reasonably well and a wand of snake's swiftness means I won't be completely useless.

In general if you want a build that is non-combat focused you either need to be a leader type (see 'how to get pets', something like thralherd, or dominate) or you need to be buffing the party. A combination of both would work quite well.

If you really want to avoid combat there is the BoED class that is dedicated to it, you could possibly make a build with that.

Hmm...not sure I want to dumb that many levels into Monster Levels...it is interesting though...

Considering the campaign, it looks like it'll have to be a base race, so Human will do well since extra feats are always awesome. Force of Personality will probably be my human feat so I can completely dumb Wisdom as a stat.

After that though...I haven't really decided on much...I'll be working on Feat selection by level tomorrow...for now...sleep...

Rasengan2theface

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 07:45:43 AM »
I've finally found a rather LONG list of possible feats that fit the character and some that...are just useful...the two at the top, particularly the first, might be MUST haves. I found them all though Searching on the DND Toolshop by Savanasoft

Investigate
Investigator
Negotiator
Force of Personality
Lingering Performance
Expanded Arcana
Harmonic Spell
Still Spell
Requiem
Negotiator
Skill Focus Perform
Battle Dancer
Subsonics
Snowflake Wardance
Versatile Performer
Blessed of the Seven Sisters
Master Manipulator
Doomspeak
Disguise Spell
Enchanting Song
Epic of the Lost King
Lyric Spell
Protection Devotion
Healing Devotion
Still Spell
Deceptive Spell
Invisible Spell
Darkstalker
Cloak Dance
Improved Diversion
Mastery of Twisted Shadow
Nonverbal Spell
Mindsight - Only if I take a 1 level dip into Mindbender
Urban Tracking

Now I just have to thin them down and decide what feats are worth it and what feats are not.

I only get 11 feats to work with, so I'll have to be more picky than I normally am.