Author Topic: [3.5] ultimate jumpman maximization?  (Read 8870 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: [3.5] ultimate jumpman maximization?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 11:59:48 PM »
Really, Battle Jump + Leaping Dragon Stance + Shock Trooper + Leap Attack = Boing Boing WIN!

JaronK

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 12:09:35 AM »
For that matter, I seem to recall seeing something that says that anything with functional wings gets +10 to jump, but I honestly don't recall where.

I would be greatly interested in having a source for this.

genuine

• Email
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
For that matter, I seem to recall seeing something that says that anything with functional wings gets +10 to jump, but I honestly don't recall where.

I would be greatly interested in having a source for this.

Hmm... looking around I found that Dragon Wings (feat from RotD) gives a +10 to jump... and I'm not seeing anything else in the templates and feats that give wings. I'm thinking this is a case of translating a house rule into a real rule.

But hey, if you have a (Dragonblood) character you can get wings with the bonus to jump. That means you could potentially grab a Silverbrow Human (Dragon Magic?) and spend your extra feat on the wings. Other options are Dragonborn, half-dragon template, draconic template, or even (gasp) kobold.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 01:02:01 PM »
Hood

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(Dragonblood) also includes Spellscales, the various subrace templates in Dragon Magic (Glimmerskin Strongheart Halfling anyone?), and anything that gets the [dragon] type.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 06:02:03 PM »
I wonder what an Obese Thri-kreen looks like ?

iirc - CPsi has a thri-kreen racial class. Might get the jump at 1st level?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 06:15:52 PM »
I wonder what an Obese Thri-kreen looks like ?

iirc - CPsi has a thri-kreen racial class. Might get the jump at 1st level?
2nd, I think.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »
I know what a Polymorphed Obese Thri-kreen looks like.

It looks like my avatar; the original pic that it is snipped from.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 06:20:46 PM »
+10 to Jump at each "level" for a LA +1 thri-kreen?

Also, as said, feel free to just reflavor.

Obese thri-kreen (the original Jump Man):

See? He's got poisoned mushrooms for poison, punching claw attacks, really powerful arms and legs, and some piranha plants for his bite attacks.

Also, he's chubby, so that answers that question.

For his fire flowers? Buy some alchemist's fireballs.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:23:36 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 07:05:24 PM »
We've made it this far before I seen a Mario build. Just saying.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

miz redavni

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • all your planets are belong to us
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 07:19:46 PM »
I seem to recall seeing something that says that anything with functional wings gets +10 to jump, but I honestly don't recall where.

that may be true but we are talking about a jumpman build not a flyman build

Also, don't forget that for every 10' of speed you have over 30, you get +4 to your jump check. That means that an item like Boots of Striding and Springing actually gives +9 to your jump checks (not just the +5 competence bonus listed on the item). So if you really want to boost your jumping then a dip into something with fast movement will probably be useful. Also, avoid medium armor and small creatures that bring your movement below 30'.

where can i find this info(book wise) so if the dm asks for proof of this, i can show him?

ok so far we have the race that i should be is thri-kreen.

and the class is tiger claw school swordsage.

that sounds good to me but i would like to cheese(i believe that means break but im not sure) this as much as possible
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:41:59 PM by miz redavni »

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
The +4 to jump for every 10 ft of speed after 30 ft. is in the Jump Skill description in the PHB and the SRD

Jump (Str; Armor Check Penalty)
Check

The DC and the distance you can cover vary according to the type of jump you are attempting (see below).

Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a -6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet.

All Jump DCs given here assume that you get a running start, which requires that you move at least 20 feet in a straight line before attempting the jump. If you do not get a running start, the DC for the jump is doubled.

Distance moved by jumping is counted against your normal maximum movement in a round.

If you have ranks in Jump and you succeed on a Jump check, you land on your feet (when appropriate). If you attempt a Jump check untrained, you land prone unless you beat the DC by 5 or more.

genuine

• Email
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
Specifically you can find it on pg. 77 of the Player's handbook. Second sentence in the description of a jump check. Can't get much more official than that.

The +4 to jump for every 10 ft of speed after 30 ft. is in the Jump Skill description in the PHB and the SRD

Jump (Str; Armor Check Penalty)
Check

The DC and the distance you can cover vary according to the type of jump you are attempting (see below).

Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a -6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet.

All Jump DCs given here assume that you get a running start, which requires that you move at least 20 feet in a straight line before attempting the jump. If you do not get a running start, the DC for the jump is doubled.

Distance moved by jumping is counted against your normal maximum movement in a round.

If you have ranks in Jump and you succeed on a Jump check, you land on your feet (when appropriate). If you attempt a Jump check untrained, you land prone unless you beat the DC by 5 or more.

And yes, Thri-Kreen is a better jumper. I was just offering the next best alternative, as some DMs have issues with a four-armed bug thing showing up as a player character. A raptoran, or something with dragon wings, still gets a racial bonus to jumping.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:17:48 PM by genuine »

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 09:18:35 PM »
For speed bonuses, check out the catfolk race (Races of Destiny), the quick trait from UA, Speed of Thought from XPH, Fleet of Foot PGtF, and of course the usual barbarian dip, haste, etc. Those all stack for a total base land speed of 110, which is a IM BAD AT MATH OK, FUCK.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:09:13 PM by BruceLeeroy »

genuine

• Email
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »
For speed bonuses, check out the catfolk race (Races of Destiny), the quick trait from UA, Speed of Thought from XPH, Fleet of Foot PGtF, and of course the usual barbarian dip, haste, etc. Those all stack for a total base land speed of 110, which is a +24 to jump.

80' over 30, so that's +4x8 = +32.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 12:34:48 AM »
Remember that with ToB classes, you aren't forced to take all manuvers in one school.  You're free to mix and match as you please, so long as you meet the prerequisites for each manuver.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 08:41:36 PM »
hmmm, thank you for that skill note, i'll have to remind my dm of that next time i'm taking a running jump with my thrikreen dervish. 12 level, mild optimization for jumping and he's already making dc 70 jump checks on a good roll.

oh and dervish adds up to +15 to movement. just btw.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

miz redavni

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
For speed bonuses, check out the catfolk race (Races of Destiny), the quick trait from UA, Speed of Thought from XPH, Fleet of Foot PGtF, and of course the usual barbarian dip, haste, etc. Those all stack for a total base land speed of 110, which is a IM BAD AT MATH OK, FUCK.

heh... i would but my friends have a thing against cat people... my character would get pet and raped every 5 secs. i mean i guess i could try it... ill just have to try some counter-rape and/or raping harder

genuine

• Email
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »

heh... i would but my friends have a thing against cat people... my character would get pet and raped every 5 secs. i mean i guess i could try it... ill just have to try some counter-rape and/or raping harder

You know, if they had named the race something like Lionfolk this wouldn't be near as much a problem.

miz redavni

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 05:30:06 AM »

You know, if they had named the race something like Lionfolk this wouldn't be near as much a problem.

indeed

miz redavni

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
ok so the dm doesnt like my backstory.... anyone have any ideas?