Author Topic: Gestalt Bard - need serious help building a character.  (Read 9897 times)

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: Gestalt Bard - need serious help building a character.
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »
If you use THIS as your homebrew,
wis based bard: you'll even get Perform (oratory) re-fluffed as wis based

you could go:

(wis)bardX whateverX // druid5 planar shepherd10 druid5                you'll need faiths of eberron, 1 book open... pick Shavarath as your chosen plane and wildshape into freaking Demons and Devils! and get their EX SU and SP abilities :evillaugh

that could very well facilitate overthrowing your father at around 14th level... :smirk

I'd make a druid//bard that summons animals/elementals and buffs them up with inspire courage. You only need melodic casting and natural spell to make it work.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 02:54:20 PM »
Based upon what the DM says I'd then begin building the character.  Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, and tricks regarding this class and PrC combination?  If I understand it correctly the Factotum is pretty much a god when it comes to skill checks and the like... and his ability to access spells from the Wizard's spell list makes him insanely versatile.  Then with the Chameleon's ability to have that floating feat selection.  Insanity could easily ensue.  :smirk

My only suggestions for actual play are from my experience in my gestalt E6 game, so it may not be relevant at your higher level:

First, leave at least 1 Inspiration Point in your pool at all times.  Then, when you have to make that save, you can spend the point to add Int to a save.(in my character's case practically guaranteeing I make it on anything but a 1) This tactic has saved my bacon more than I can say.

Second, adding Int to damage is determined after you successfully hit.  My fellow player/dms like to roll both their damage dice and the d20 at the same time.  I cannot do this.  Also, if I spend inspiration on damage, I never feel as though it was wasted inspiration.  This is probably not the case at higher levels however.

Third, expect your DM to make a reasonable houserule regarding the number of times you can use cunning surge in a single round.  Don't just surprise him with cunning surge either, be sure to ask his opinion on the matter before you begin playing.  If you can surge only limited by your inspiration points, then by all means, take Font for all of your feats.  If not, just take it 3-4 times like everyone else suggests.

Also, it's too bad you can't snag Magic of Incarnum as an extra book.  Incarnum feats + floating feat = win.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 03:07:35 PM »
Sucks not to have the capstone ability of Anima Mage though. You already get 9th level spells from Sorcerer and all the action economy shenanigans mean the second bunch of 9s is not quite as useful. Personally I would go for 10 levels of Anima Mage for all the Binder goodies (say, Haures and Zceryll), extra metamagic and the amazing capstone. Four levels of Sublime Chord would be very, very good though.

True.  If you're getting that much Bard, then Bardic Knack + Jack of All Trades is VERY advisable.

JaronK
I suppose the Sublime Chord plan is not any worse and it would grant pretty much the same amount of skill points. The Bardic knack idea is excellent.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:26:14 PM by Tshern »

Handy Links

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »
Ok, I have to say it.  It's really annoying me... BARDIC Knack.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 04:25:55 PM »
Urgh, no idea what I was thinking, thanks.

Handy Links

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »
I'd say something here, but I won't.

And I seriously would've mentioned factotum 20//bard 5/chameleon 10/bard 5 if no one else had.

Although Factotum 11/swordsage/crusader/warblade//wizard/prestige bard 1/loremaster was a close second, assuming UA could be counted as homebrew.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]