Author Topic: Assassin (Swordsage / Warblade) advice  (Read 1864 times)

Malachei

• Monkey bussiness
    • Malachei's Board
Assassin (Swordsage / Warblade) advice
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »
I am building a character for a play-by-post campaign (Red Hand of Doom -- no spoilers please). It starts level 6.

I am looking for advice for a little practical optimization (I prefer strong characters, but I am not looking for a, well, let's just call it pun-pun junior build. I don't want to design things that will unbalance a strong party or is a sandy bridge, i.e. based on some obscure RAW interpretation)

The concept is an assassin of an order fighting for the "greater good" with an attitude of all is fair in love and war.

I had considered taking a level of beguiler or rogue for the trapfinding and possibly spells such as disguise, charm person, expeditious retreat, in order to better fill the role and possibly cover the skillmonkey as well.

Some of the game's houserules:
  • Half-elves and humans get +2 on one attribute, humans get EWP Bastard Sword free
  • Many skills are condensed like in Pathfinder (i.e. balance, jump, tumble are acrobatics) --> leaving some skill points, thus allowing me to consider filling the skill-monkey role
  • One feat on every 2nd level (i.e. 2, 4, 6, ...)
  • Ability increase every 3rd level (i.e. 3, 6, ...)
  • No traits or flaws

My rolls: 18, 15, 15, 15, 14, 14, possibly distributed like this:

STR 15, DEX 22, CON 15, INT 14, WIS 15, CHA 14 (including human adjustment and level-ability-raises, both assigned to DEX)

I had thought about a dagger TWF Swordsage / Warblade with a Tiger Claw focus. I'd take Adaptive Style, and probably (if TWF dagger route) Shadow Blade, and, possibly, Gloom Razor later on (BAB+6 requirement). This is not set in stone, however.

My questions:
  • What would be the ideal build and break-points from your perspective? My main problem is the Warblade / Swordsage distribution. I'd love to have Assassin's Stance, but I have not figured out how to combine this with Warblade levels (If I delay the second SWS level (for the stance), then the IL is currently too low, and if I don't, I need full 5 SWS levels to get it). Many handbooks suggest delaying martial adept levels to benefit from a higher number of higher-level maneuvers, etc. As play-by-posts move slowly, delaying the 2nd Swordsage level may or may not turn out to be a pain. Particularly the second-level Shadow Hand maneuvers Shadow Jaunt and Cloak of Deception are important to me. I'm not sure about the higher-level SWS maneuvers, however.
  • Should I perhaps make the Warblade the primary class to benefit from better recovery and full BAB?
  • Take rogue levels?
  • Take a beguiler level? Any way to have beguiler, go Jade Phoenix Mage and still make this a viable assassin build?
  • Prestige Class into Bloodclaw Master or is there a better strategy?
  • As the humans get free EWP Bastard Sword, would your advice be to still go TWF (Daggers) or rather go THF (Katana-looking Bastard Sword)?

My first priority is to fill an assassin role, i.e. secondary melee, able to stand my ground. I hope there will be a primary melee to partner with (could be a fighter / swashbuckler).

The second priority would be to fill the skill monkey role with Able Learner.

I have access to the usual handbooks, so no need to point me to it. I'm looking for some advice tailored to my situation.

Thank you very much in advance!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:25:53 AM by Malachei »

Malachei

• Monkey bussiness
    • Malachei's Board
Re: Assassin (Swordsage / Warblade) advice
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:25:20 AM »
Really nobody? On the BG boards? Hard to believe.

I know it is a long post, but I wanted to give you an insight and information on the concept. I don't expect an answer to cover all of it, of course. I'd already be happy if you'd give some advice for one or two of the questions. Thanks.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"