Author Topic: Level 12 Monk vs Horned Devil  (Read 11045 times)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: Level 12 Monk vs Horned Devil
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 08:07:33 PM »
Monk 12? It better have Mantis Leap.

I swear I've wanted to use that feat ever since I seen it. It's just that the 7 levels of monk is five more than I'd ever take. :(
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »
Can you make the Monk win? The monks first 2 or second and third feats are Sacred Vow and VOP. Other than that anything that doesn't violate his Exalted feats goes.

I would like to ask something: What is the purpose of this thread? I posted about my exalted monk beating a horned devil and now you're trying to prove that I'm lying? O_o
Perhaps he just wants a monk that awesome.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »
2 flaws, 2 traits, dragon magazine appears to be an acceptable source, um can't tell the point buy without looking up vow of poverty.
Well, it is Vow of Poverty.

Handy Links

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 09:08:40 PM »
2 flaws, 2 traits, dragon magazine appears to be an acceptable source, um can't tell the point buy without looking up vow of poverty.
Well, it is Vow of Poverty.

... so all 8's?

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »
Lets say we use 51 point buy.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 09:56:16 PM »
In that case you are only doomed, not horribly so. At least on my standards.

Thank you Kahjera.

Handy Links

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 11:51:44 PM »
monk1/sorcerer4/enlightenedfist7

Feats: sacred vow, VoP, combat casting, eschew materials, arcane strike, practiced spellcaster

Key Exalted feats: nymph's kiss, celestial familiar, touch of golden ice, intuitve attack

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 02:31:31 AM »
My attempt
Martial Monk 12
Variants Invisible Fist for blink and immediate invisibility
Race Catfolk
Flaws Shaky, ??
Attack Bonus 9 BAB, 2 Invisibility, 2 Charge, 9 dex, 2 melee weapon mastery, Exalted Strike+2 =+26/36/+26/+26 vs 32 Start with invisibility then go to blink.
Damage 14+3str+2MWM+2 ES+9PA=30 avg, 40 max
AC 8 Armor+3Nat. Armor+2 Deflection+9 Dex+4 Wisdom+2 monk+1 dodge=39-9-2 for the charge.
HP 96 Takes 28 from Glaive+5.25 from bite+4 from tail. Monk has DR 5/magic so its 6.8/5.5/3.4 (16) and 8 from the natural attacks.

Feats Flaws Improved Init, Sacred Vow, 1VOP , 3 Weapon Finesse, 6 Power Attack, 9 Catfolk Pounce, 12 Silver Fang
 From Martial Monk Shock Trooper,Weapon supremacy, Melee Weapon Mastery
From VOP Sanctify Ki Strike, Holy Ki Strike, Nymphs kiss, 4 other
Skills 36 Jump, 24 Tumble, 2 other

Didn't use Grafts or symbiots,

Devil played badly, but even if he does teleport away and start shooting, monk might be able to take it due to half damage from blink and his wholeness of body ability will leave him at 15 before he makes a save that he makes on 2.

At a glance I give the monk a pretty decent chance, if it wasn't for the 20 foot reach and the stunning on the Devil. I guess grafts and symbiots might help with that though. He can jump up and smack it on a 12, but he has to be running.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:41:32 AM by lans »

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 05:41:26 AM »
if played smart, and the cornugon's got 14 intelligence, the teleport at will ability and fly speed alone will kill the monk in the end. and on top of that, the dc 27 fort check or stun for 1d4 rounds pretty much means that the monk is stun locked to death. if that wasn't enough, he summons, say 3 bearded devils who instantly teleport to spots 5 feet away from the monk (glaive). the cornugon has a reach of 20 feet with his spiked chain, since a reach weapon doubles your reach.

so what are the monk's options? tumbling away from the 4 devils and playing the cat and mouse game, which he will lose in the end, or simply facing doom.

@Ians: vop -> no grafts

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 06:21:30 AM »
if played smart, and the cornugon's got 14 intelligence, the teleport at will ability and fly speed alone will kill the monk in the end. and on top of that, the dc 27 fort check or stun for 1d4 rounds pretty much means that the monk is stun locked to death.
The monk has an AC of 39 when he's not Shock troopering, if he fights defensively that goes o 42, which means the devil hits 10%/2.5%/2.5%.

if that wasn't enough, he summons, say 3 bearded devils who instantly teleport to spots 5 feet away from the monk (glaive).
The Devil has a 50% chance of succeding on the summon though.
the cornugon has a reach of 20 feet with his spiked chain, since a reach weapon doubles your reach.
True, this is a problem, the monk needs a running start and to roll a 12 to jump and smack him.

so what are the monk's options? tumbling away from the 4 devils and playing the cat and mouse game, which he will lose in the end, or simply facing doom.
Hope he fails his summon attempt.

@Lans: vop -> no grafts
I thought grafts weren't techinally items.

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 07:07:16 AM »
The monk has an AC of 39 when he's not Shock troopering, if he fights defensively that goes o 42, which means the devil hits 10%/2.5%/2.5%.
[...]
first off, not using shock trooper means that he does no damage, so the cornugon laughs at him, if the monk uses shock trooper, the cornugon hits him easily, so he still laughs at him.

and as for the summoning... dude... really... he has a 50% chance of only summoning 2d10 lemures or 1d6 bearded devils. so i used the most probable outcome and summoned 3 bearded devils. if the cornugon gets lucky, which means with a 1/5 chance, he summons another cornugon.

and grafts cost gold, so i'd say they are valuables.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 07:35:04 AM »
[...]
first off, not using shock trooper means that he does no damage, so the cornugon laughs at him, if the monk uses shock trooper, the cornugon hits him easily, so he still laughs at him.
The cornugon hits him less than 50% of the time with the shock trooper, and with out it the monk does 21 avg instead of 30.

and as for the summoning... dude... really... he has a 50% chance of only summoning 2d10 lemures or 1d6 bearded devils. so i used the most probable outcome and summoned 3 bearded devils. if the cornugon gets lucky, which means with a 1/5 chance, he summons another cornugon.

Still a very good chance of him failing, and bearded devils pretty much just give the cornugon flanking  bonuses.

and grafts cost gold, so i'd say they are valuables.
Depends if Grafts really count as material possessions.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:37:54 AM by lans »

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 08:33:52 AM »
The cornugon hits him less than 50% of the time with the shock trooper, and with out it the monk does 21 avg instead of 30.
[...]
Still a very good chance of him failing, and bearded devils pretty much just give the cornugon flanking  bonuses.
[...]
Depends if Grafts really count as material possessions.
the devil has 172 hit points and 35 ac, which means that it will take the monk forever to kill it. and if the cornugon simply flies above the monk, then attacks and next round attacks and flies away, it will grind the monk to death; remember, all it takes is one attack to hit to trigger a dc 27 fort save or stun to end this fight (39-9-2 -> 28 ac).

failing what? he summons another devil no matter what, it's just random which type he can summon, nameley 50% lemure/bearded, 30% barbed, 20% horned.

and you cannot even get a graft without gold, which you cannot have with vop.

btw: this is not even factoring in the cornugon's treasure which could be used for steadfast boots to automatically trigger an attack every time the monk charges the horned devil.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 08:52:43 AM »
I'm not seeing anything in the build making your Unarmed Strike Silver. Does VoP do that?
No, but right before the fight a friendly cleric cast a spell on me. No idea what spell, the GM probably just made it up so I have a chance of survival. I was alone, because the other player quit and the devil was send by other player in the enemy team. Not to kill me in particular, I just run into it by accident. :)

Its not proof, but an unnamed, likely homebrewed spell? Unless the demon wasn't using telepathy for some reason, and you critted hard, the circumstances suggest that was a DM-coddle.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »
Oh c'mon, it's just a 50' fly speed with average maneuverability. Almost any monk with wings is going to have at least 60' with average maneuverability. :eh

The Greater Teleport is, perhaps, a worry? But the fly speed? Come now, is it that bad?

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
With VoP, nothing doing. Without it, the monk could beat the Cornugon's ass day in day out. Same goes for pretty much any melee character.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »
So, as a stock mob it has an AC of 39 vs the Mook, two save or loses, and can simply fly over its head and auto attack, and the Mook can't fly up to it. That's without using any of its treasure, by the way. With it it trivially hits AC 50 or so and dances on the Mook's head.

Yeah, automatic loss there.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 10:57:18 AM »
With VoP, nothing doing. Without it, the monk could beat the Cornugon's ass day in day out. Same goes for pretty much any melee character.

Hence why it's a challenge I suppose.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »
With the linked build, there is nothing you can do.

Some specific ideas if building a new character for the challenge.

- Mark of the Dauntless gives you immunity to stun
- Dragonborn gives you flight
- Tattoed Monk 1 gives immunity to fear
- Mineral Warrior gives DR8/Adamentine
- Pixie gives invisibility and good stats
- Phrenic and Half-Fey give good spell-likes
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 11:21:29 AM »
Am I missing something, or doesn't the devil pretty much autowin if it hits with tail even once? Unless the monk has ranks in heal, that is. Even with fairly high wisdom score, the monk will take quite a bit of damage from the wound before he succeeds, and in the meanwhile, the devil can be just teleporting away and waiting.

Not to mention that unless the monk has silver and good unarmed attacks, the devil can just teleport away. Even if we assumed that beating the devil unconscious would count as a victory, it still could stay away from arm's reach for enough time to regain all health, whereas the VoP monk has no such option.

And then there's the whole wealth for the devil to spend. Say, +1 Chain Shirt, Dastana, Charar-Aina? +1 Sudden Stunning Spiked Chain? Steadfast Boots?

The Monk is more or less fucked.